throttle body service/carbon cleaning?? [Archive] - ElantraXD.com - Elantra Enthusiasts & Community

: throttle body service/carbon cleaning??

iaspurchase
08-15-2006, 06:50 PM
Is throttle body service and cabon cleaning recommended for 30,000 mile
maintenance?? Is this really necessary and how many fellas here have had this service done and at what mileage?
Ive called service dealers in my area and some recommend this service and
some dont, which I find quite odd!

BlackElantraGT
08-15-2006, 07:04 PM
Just go to your local auto parts store and pick up a bottle of Throttle body cleaner. I know STP makes one specifically for the throttle body, but I believe you can also get away with any Carbeurator cleaner. It'll cost you $4 at most if you get an expensive brand.

Then with a regular phillips screwdriver, you can loosen the bolt to remove your intake pipe. Spray some of the cleaner into the throttle body and clean your throttle body with an old toothbrush. You'll see the black grime come off, then just wipe it off with some shop rags or towels. Repeat process until the liquid doesn't seem to get as dirty and that's it. It might take a bit of time for your engine to start up, but eventually it will and you should see some white smoke, but that's normal.

It's that simple and only costs you a few bucks.

iaspurchase
08-15-2006, 07:22 PM
BlackElantraGT,

Thanks for responding, but thats not the question I asked..........im wondering if
this is considered routine 30K maintenance on the Elantras and it is really necessary
to perform to maintain and lengthen the life of the Elantra.
I DO NOT do my own maintenance, as I have my own trusted mechanic, or dealer
in some cases, do all my maintenance.
Im wondering how many members here have done this service on a regular basis?

BlackElantraGT
08-15-2006, 07:50 PM
30,000 miles is a lot of miles. It takes most people at least 2-3 years to put that many miles on their car. Cleaning out your throttle body is part of regular maintenance and if you have heavy buildup of gunk, you will notice your car idle smoother.

I'm assuming you're on this forum to learn more about your car. Most of your questions on this board so far seems to be whether I should do this or that which the dealer recommended. If you don't want to ever learn about your car, you'll forever have these questions and the dealer/mechanic will just bend you over and rape you.

Cleaning out the throttle body on your own is an extremely easy job that ANYONE can do. There are some jobs which you should leave to the mechanic, especially if you don't have a tool set, but if it's something that just requires the use of a screwdriver, save yourself the $30-$60 they'll charge and do it yourself.

It's like owning a computer. It's rediculously easy to install something like a videocard in your computer, but most people stay stupid and end up getting raped by places like The Geek Squad.

iaspurchase
08-15-2006, 07:56 PM
Is the throttle body hidden under that plastic cover on the engine? Im assuming that
has to be removed?

jalmir
08-15-2006, 08:06 PM
the TB is where your gaz pedal cable connect to ...

you can see it in this picture :

it's where the blue tubes attach itself on the back of the engine (top center of the pic)

http://www.elantraxd.com/photopost/data/500/pik_divers_de_mon_char_001.jpg

ricerrx7
08-15-2006, 09:54 PM
The induction service usually consits of more than just cleaning the throttle body. I have performed these services on customers cars, and my dealership recommends them at 15,000 miles (a bit excessive in my opinion). It cleans the throttle body, intake runners, valves, and injectors. Definately worth it in my opinion. We charge $159.95 for the service.

iaspurchase
08-15-2006, 10:08 PM
So, Riccerrx 7, what is the difference between throttle body cleaning and carbon cleaning??

ricerrx7
08-15-2006, 10:28 PM
Throttle body cleaning is just cleaning the throttle body, and while it's a good idea, there's alot more that needs to be done.
Carbon cleaning is usually referred to as a "fuel injection and induction service". It takes care of the fuel injectors, gets the carbon off the intake manifold, throttle body, intake valves, and combustion chambers.

HYTECH
08-17-2006, 07:14 PM
http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18000

FizzerBill
08-18-2006, 02:06 PM
SEAFOAM!! Works great for cleaning carbon out of the intake manifold, valves, injector tips, etc. Just connect it to a vacuum line that has direct flow into the intake manifold.

My last car was a 1996 SVT Cobra (I love my daughter, but her car seat won't fint in a Cobra) and it worked great to clean the carbon out of the engine.

Bnystrom
08-23-2006, 07:47 AM
The induction service usually consits of more than just cleaning the throttle body. I have performed these services on customers cars, and my dealership recommends them at 15,000 miles (a bit excessive in my opinion). It cleans the throttle body, intake runners, valves, and injectors.
Got any REAL before and after pics to prove it? I doubt it.

I just opened up the throttle body on my '04 with nearly 44k miles on it and the throttle body is CLEAN inside. It has not been touched since it was new and the only modification I've made is to install a Campbell/Hausfeld oil separator/filter in the PCV line. There's a DIY for it at:

http://elantragtclub.tripod.com/elantra/id405.html

The links for the pics aren't working at the moment, but that should be fixed shortly.

Definately worth it in my opinion. We charge $159.95 for the service.
Sounds like just another dealer ripoff/scam to me. Do you see this listed anywhere in Hyundai's maintenance schedule for the car? That alone is indication that it's not necessary. Let me guess what they do:

1- They spray some carb cleaner into the throttle body to make it look pretty, so the customer can't tell that they've been screwed. That costs them what, a buck or two at most? I'll bet that most of the time, this is all that ever gets done, as there's no way for the customer to tell otherwise.

2- The run some cleaner in through a vacuum hose in the futile hope that it will clean off any deposits on the valves, which it won't because: a) There's not likely to be much in the way of deposits, since the fuel that's constantly flowing into the engine keeps the valves clean. b) Any burned-on carbon is not going to come off easily. c) The "cleaner" won't flow to the valves evenly if it's introduced through a vacuum hose, so even if it did actually clean something, it wouldn't do all the valves equally.

So what does that cost, another $3-$5?

3- They dump a bottle of fuel system cleaner into the tank, which probably costs them all of a buck or two.

So, let's see, the dealer has less than $10 into the job and charges $160? That's a damn nice profit! For that price, they should be pulling off the intake manifold and cleaning the valves with a toothbrush! ;)

Modern fuels do a great job of keeping engines and fuel systems clean. Installing a "catch can" or filter on the PCV hose (~$20) will eliminate nearly all oil-related buildup in the throttle body. These "cleanings" are a waste and their sole purpose is to generate huge profits for the dealership!

ricerrx7
08-23-2006, 08:30 AM
Thank you for calling me and everyone I work with thiefs. Maybe I should have mentioned that I don't work at a Hyundai dealership, I work with GM's. And GM's CERTAINLY do have the carbon buildup on and around the throttle plate. I have seen some so bad that the throttle plate couldn't open all the way. I can't attest for other dealerships, but every tech at my dealership does the service the right way. Please get your facts straight. And we don't use a vacuum line, the engine draws the chemicals through the throttle body.

kkolback
04-29-2010, 01:49 PM
I have a 2006 Viper with only 12,000 miles on it. I am having the manifold repaired and the service man is recommending that I also have a throttle body service. Do I need to do this with only 12,000 miles?