'04 Elantra GT won't start [Archive] - ElantraXD.com - Elantra Enthusiasts & Community

: '04 Elantra GT won't start

Bon
10-03-2006, 05:07 PM
For at least a year I have had intermittent problems with the car not starting (2004 Elantra GT hatchback, about 35,000 km on it). Although the problem is more common on damp, cool days, it has also occured on hot summer days. The battery is working (the radio, display lights etc all come on), but the engine won't turn over. Sometimes after repeated tries it starts (i.e. this morning after about 30 tries over 20 minutes it eventually started - it was raining but warm). Usually when it doesn't start in the morning it will start later in the day, but there was one instance when it wouldn't start at all, and I had to have it towed to the dealership.
I have taken it into the dealership at least 3 times for diagnostic tests and they can't find anything wrong, primarily because when I take it in they can't manipulate the problem to recur (i.e. it starts no problem for them). They replaced the starter & spark plugs but the problem persists.

I am on the verge of taking this issue to arbitration to force Hyundai to buy back the vehicle. I can't resell it in good faith, and it's absolutely unnacceptable to have a 2 year old car that won't start when I need it to.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

silversharkXD2
10-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Good luck. I tried that route. My door chime used to go off every time the wipers would swing. of course, only for me! I finally got it to happen at a dealership, they couldn't fix it. I lost in my lemon law case because my wife damn near totaled the car and they said I didn't have any proof before the accident. The attorney for hyundai is really good. Get a good lawyer and follow all the proper steps. read your books that came with the car and contact hyundai first. That is the first thing they say "why didn't you just tell us". then you look like you are greedy.

Good luck, don't let me talk you out of it. Just do it RIGHT!

jayupark
10-03-2006, 05:18 PM
is it a 5spd or auto?

If it's a 5spd, it might be the little switch under the clutch.

Bon
10-03-2006, 05:24 PM
it's a 5 speed (thanks for the suggestion)

evan938
10-03-2006, 05:31 PM
do a search for "clutch interlock"...theres 18 threads that should be able to point you in the way to look. that was the problem with mine and they fixed it in a couple hours

jayupark
10-03-2006, 05:39 PM
I had a simular problem about a year ago... I just sprayed the switch with a bit of WD-40 (it displaces moisture and/or rust/oxidation), brushed it out with a toothbrush and pressed on it a few dozen times with my finger... never had a problem with it since.

robs02elantra
10-03-2006, 05:48 PM
let us know how it works out. And welcome!!

you should post up in the Canada roll call thread, just to say hey.

mtlelantra
10-03-2006, 05:48 PM
What do you mean by "doesn't start" though? Does the engine turn over but just not catch?
Did they change the plug wires and the coils too? Is there spark at the plugs?
If you can go without the car for several days, leave it at the dealership overnight, come back the next day, have the service manager with you and try to start the car. If it starts, leave it and do it again the next day and the next. Or when it doesn't start the first few tries, tow it in right away. I know it's a PITA, but if they can never reproduce the problem it'll just be your word against theirs and they can probably afford better lawyers.
If they can't reproduce it, or you can't reproduce it in their presence, you need to document everything, preferrably by video. Every time you go to start the car, have the videocam going to show how often it doesn't start, the weather conditions etc etc. You'll probably need at least a months worth where there a significant amount of non-starts. Again it's a PITA, but if you just go in to court and just say that the car doesn't start for me, I want my money back and have nothing to corroborate, you'll be SOL.

jameswing
03-26-2008, 01:15 PM
Mine has been doing the same thing for a while, I have towed it to the dealership and by the time the tech gets to it it was working fine, Tried WD-40 and didn't have problems for a month or so, and it just did it again last night.

It cranks but will not catch
I tried push starting it and it wouldn't go
Its a manual 04 GT

kylemorg
03-26-2008, 01:31 PM
There's a chance it may be the cam position sensor or crank position sensor. I had a similar problem years ago with my '96 Accent -- the car would crank and crank, but not "catch" and fire up. I'd walk away, come back 10 minutes later, turn the key to start and the engine would fire right up. I wasn't getting any CEL codes at that point, either. The dealer tried some things, but nothing fixed it.

In my case, though I was able to push start it once, and THEN the check engine light came on with a "CPS" code. I don't know if that has any bearing on your problem, but it might be worth asking your Hyundai dealer.

Good luck! It sucks having intermittent problems like that...

Munky
03-26-2008, 02:36 PM
I tried push starting it and it wouldn't go

If that's the case, make sure you check all spark plug connections/coil pack connections/ and make sure the fuel pump is working properly.

wfd59
03-26-2008, 03:17 PM
About 2 years ago mine would turn over but not start, pull the key out curse :mad: a bit and put it back in it would fire up, used to drive me crazy.:conf:

There were two issues apparently I found out, one was a evap canister problem that the dealer picked up, the other was found by accident. I lost my main set of keys and had to use the spares, never had a problem with the spares, but when I found the main set it started again. So there was something up with the key itself, the dealer looked at me strange when I told them but they saw it do the same thing there with both the keys one has no problem the other needed to be in just the right spot to fire the engine.

The best guess that the tech had was that the key was not providing the proper info (chip) to the reader, to let the car start. Don't know if this makes any sence but car is still working fine on the spare keys 2 years later.

So if you have the spare keys you can try it, makes my life better , get in turn the key car starts... smile :D.

WFD59

Smart people run out of burning building ,why am I running in ?

smileymattj
03-26-2008, 10:53 PM
wfd59 is a firefighter

the only time my elantra would not crank is because the steering wheel lock wouldn't not disengage < probably not your fix since its happening so much.

jameswing
03-26-2008, 11:25 PM
Yeah, It haden't done it for a couple of months (my wife has been driving it mainly) and I had the 60K service done on Monday (replaced injectors, plugs, overall checkup), and I didn't mention it since it hadn't happened for a while.

When I got to work today I tried it, It didn't start the first time but did the second try, and as soon as I was pulling out of my spot it died, I waited an hour and tried it again and it started right up, and was fine.

I'll see if I can find my spare keys, and try that but i didn't know that our keys had chips in them.

wfd59
03-27-2008, 10:46 AM
I wasn't sure that our keys were chipped but it seems to be working so I am not going to complain if it seems to be working. It was the tech at the dealer who sujested it.

Strange thing is that my wife's Santa Fe did the same thing for about a week then healed itself, hasn't been a issue since. Never got to try the 2nd set of keys at that time, only found them 6 months later.

I do know that when we had the auto start put in the elantra they had to put an extra key in a reader box, and at the time I wasn't very happy about being charged $115 for a spare key.

wfd59

If smart people run out of a burning building, why am I running in ?

PS. yes I am a Firefighter hence the sig. its on the wall in my office my wife occasionally puts a sticky note on it saying something about me not being that smart, but she puts up with a lot, so I can live with it. Usually happens after an all night call when I drag my sorry butt in when she is getting up to go to work , we say good morning, and I live on coffee all day.

The thing is I don't know anything different I'm 3rd generation volunteer firefighter , I grew up with it and couldn't imagine doing any thing else.

2001VE
03-27-2008, 10:58 AM
I would guess what someone else said; crank position sensor.

kylemorg
03-27-2008, 11:45 AM
the only time my elantra would not crank is because the steering wheel lock wouldn't not disengage < probably not your fix since its happening so much.

Usually the key won't turn very far when the steering wheel lock is jamming...

I never had my car die when I was driving because of the bad CPS... I would definitely check the spark ignition and electrical systems for loose connections / corrsion / short circuits and the fuel system for vapor lock / intermittent plugging of the fuel lines / intermiitently failing fuel pump (loss of fuel pressure).

Next time you have trouble starting your car, turn the key to the "On" position and leave it there for about 90 seconds (to allow the fuel pump to build pressure). After 90 seconds, turn the key to the start position -- If the engine starts right up, it's an indication that your fuel pump might not be pumping fast enough or building enough pressure.