uncomfotable seats [Archive] - ElantraXD.com - Elantra Enthusiasts & Community

: uncomfotable seats

ijay
10-09-2006, 07:52 PM
I just bought an 06 gls, and am finding the seats to be very hard, Do theye get softer over time, Or is there a fix.

Thanks. Ijay.

SuperGLS
10-09-2006, 10:18 PM
I've always hated the seats in the Elantra. I find them very uncomfortable, especially on long trips. That's why now when I drive long distance I keep a pillow behind me like an old man.

The seats are my biggest dissapoint me in the Elantra.

04GTboySC
10-09-2006, 10:23 PM
i can agree with you super. I just got done driving 400 some miles and wow the leather seats suck in my GT :(

hyunelan2
10-09-2006, 10:24 PM
Ironically, back in '02 when the XD was pretty-new, Car and Driver actually said the seats were one of the best in class. That was the review that the Elantra finished 2nd in, behind the more powerful Mazda Protoge.

PSUsouthpaw
10-09-2006, 10:27 PM
there are some knobs down near the door panel that allow you to adjust the seat position...this may help you to some degree, but as for the seat hardness, I've never really had that problem yet...

04GTboySC
10-09-2006, 10:45 PM
yea i tried fiddling with mine but it doesnt seem to help :(

mlumz
10-09-2006, 11:23 PM
after adjusting mine, I don't find it too bad on long trips. I've taken long trips in my egt, various suvs and luxury cars and the egt isn't that bad. It would be nice if I had heated seats, but I have yet to get the cash to install them.

inferredrecords
10-09-2006, 11:23 PM
You think thats bad. Try doing 1300 miles sitting in an accent.

04 elantra cvvt
10-10-2006, 02:25 AM
After putting the front of my seat all the way up, and the back all the way down, mine is pretty comfortable now. I've never had a problem with the softness (or lack there of).

zx2uner
10-10-2006, 02:27 AM
I have leather...I think the cloth one's are much more comfortable.

I took a 1300 mile trip in a 01 accent....it was torture..lol

ghrpdx
10-10-2006, 02:35 AM
I'm constantly fiddling with the adjustments on the seat. Seems I can never get it dialed in just right. I also think they lack padding in the center and not enough support on the sides. I agree ... they are uncomfortable. Has anyone bothered to remove the back panel? I pulled mine off because I was curious what's in there. The seat has some metal wiring and what appears to be a piece of cardboard with a bit of foam between it and the seat upholstery. The adjustable lumbar support is a joke, it doesn't adjust in the right spot, it's way to low. The seats in my '98 Nissan 200SX were perfect ... I miss those. My Mustang GT had horrible seats ... they made you hunch forward unless you laid them way back. Naturally, they redesigned the seats the next model year.

Kind of off topic, but it plays into the seat placement ... does anybody else think the instruments are set too high in the dash bezel? If I get the seat in a good spot and adjust the steering wheel where I like it, the rim of the wheel blocks the top of the gauges. I have to hike up my wheel so I can see them. Hate that!

Munky
10-10-2006, 05:59 AM
I'm glad to say I'm getting some new seats soon. A buddy of mine bought some new ones so he's giving me the stock seats from his Mercury Cougar. Those things are amazing, i always sink into them.

ricerrx7
10-10-2006, 08:20 AM
I've made two cross country road trips in mine (Michigan to california, and california to tennessee), and several shorter road trips (3 times here to michigan, 3 times here to florida, and once here to DC all this year) and they definately get uncomfortable towards the end of the cross country trips, but the shorter trips aren't bad at all.

Munky
10-10-2006, 08:23 AM
I don't mind the shorts that much either, but I agree with ghrpdx, the lumbar is all wrong. if you sit on it just in the wrong way you won't be able to move right for a week.

Doohickie
10-10-2006, 10:06 AM
I love my seats; they're the best of any car I've owned.

mtlelantra
10-10-2006, 10:22 AM
I have the cloth seats find them pretty good, pretty supportive, way better side and thigh bolster support than my Swift. But then again, I've heard the Canadian XDs have better support than the US seats...

06elantra
10-11-2006, 07:54 AM
i find that the seat bases do start to feel hard when on a road trip

when i went to townsville (north qld australia for those playing along at home) i had to stop every 150 - 200kays to get out and get some feeling back into my legs and butt.

that said tho, nothing like a good road trip to help you get your seat set up in a comfortable way.

after a while, i just sat on the pillow i keep in my car - but even then my butt got numb quickly.

maybe some thick seat covers would help in the softness?
(dunno about other people, but i personally hate seat covers, esp when they arnt fitted correctly and look bad..)

*gets back in box*

xxxmonoxidechil
10-11-2006, 08:11 AM
i agree, the elantra seats are very hard and unforgiving. but in all truth, most hyundais are. only the newest batch of autos by them has really seemed to be an improvement.

Peter912
10-14-2006, 11:18 AM
I have leather...I think the cloth one's are much more comfortable.

I took a 1300 mile trip in a 01 accent....it was torture..lol

Be thankful that you have leather. The cloth one's are so ITCHY . Well for me they are.

txdproject
10-14-2006, 11:24 AM
i think my leather seats in my gt are pretty nice then again my car is an 02 so hmm

Mr. Dan
10-14-2006, 12:22 PM
I like the seats in mine, they're quite comfortable. Other than maybe being heated I'm not sure if they are any different from the North American model. I would like a little more side bolstering though. Maybe I'm just the right size for them though. I adjusted the angle and stuff the first time I got in, slid it back to the furthest postion and haven't touched it since. I have to move it back when I take it in for maintenance of course, the poor guys can't reach the pedals. :)

cbrmale
11-12-2006, 09:05 PM
The car I had before the Elantra had well-shaped and soft seats, but on long trips, as you sank into the cushioning, you lost blood flow and started to get sore and numb.

The purpose of firm seats is to stop this happening. I've driven my Elantra up to 800km (around 8 hours) several times, and it is the most comfortable car I've had. One trick I've found is to get the seat adjusted just right, and to make sure that I sit upright. Once in the right driving position, I can drive it all day with no discomfort.

The Elantra seats are pretty well shaped for me at least.

jayupark
11-12-2006, 10:29 PM
I don't like the seats at all in my XD2. Not enough side support, and a bit too high for my liking. I just wish there was an easy way to put in aftermarket seats without having to mess with that airbag system :(

tharptroy
11-12-2006, 10:33 PM
Be thankful that you have leather. The cloth one's are so ITCHY . Well for me they are.

generally, wearing clothes while in the car will help to keep you from itching, try that next time :tongue:

jayupark
11-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Someone on newtib is selling their stock GT seats, leather... I can't afford shipping right now, but would be happy to see one of my fellow XDers with some nice seats.

http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87543

exsailor
11-12-2006, 11:54 PM
Just finished a 15 hour trip from Canada to VA and my seats held up ok. I was stiff but would have been in any type of seat after that length of time :)

krellmk
11-13-2006, 01:18 AM
Just did a round trip this weekend from New York to Greensboro NC.. my back is killing me .... i guess i made stop at every damn rest stop on I-81 from PA to NC.. i know for sure today i will be looking for some kinna back support for my Elantra seat.

Ugzz
11-13-2006, 03:52 PM
i have an 06 gls sedan and i have no probs at all with the seat comftorability. (hey!, i just made up a new word!)

my biggest gripe is the clutch is so deep on the 5 speed i have to move my seat up so my knees almost hit the wheel to comfortable clutch it. When i move back im more comfortable but i grind occastioanlly cause i dont put the clutch down all the way... and thats no good, so i moved back up.

once i played with the knobs on the seat -btw i HATE the knob idea, levers and switches are way better :P-

I was able to make it way more comfortable, i have my raised as high as it gets and it puts more pressure on my lower back. Felt weird at first, but in the long run it makes longer trips easier. Longest ive done so far is pgh to canada, so thats not even so far. It was like 4.5hr up and back..

Ill be going to medina Tennessee soon though, and from me thats about 13-15hr so ill let yall know then heh. google maps sais 12.5 but with no stops or traffic, im sure itl take me longer :P

2001GLS
11-13-2006, 07:20 PM
I found my 01 (first year) XD had back buster seats. Course I had the base model with NO options. Well it had AC if that wasn't standard but other than that... Anyways, the seats in my 06 Sonata are MUCH softer & more comfortable on a long trip. Course it's a lot more expensive vehicle too.

SWortham
11-13-2006, 07:40 PM
It's all relative I suppose but I thought the Elantra's seats were pretty comfortable. I didn't always think that but I eventually found a way to adjust them that made all the difference for me. I leaned the seat bottom all the way back, and set the lumbar halfway and suddenly it was like sitting in a different seat. With it setup like this my weight is distributed better throughout the seat and it holds me in place better too.

And I do think they get softer with time. Now when I sit in the Elantra it feels like a very soft seat compared to the STI.

2001GLS
11-14-2006, 03:57 AM
I have the cloth seats find them pretty good, pretty supportive, way better side and thigh bolster support than my Swift. But then again, I've heard the Canadian XDs have better support than the US seats...

I think at least the early XD's up there lacked side airbags? I'm thinking that had something to do with the stiffness too.

exsailor
11-14-2006, 09:58 AM
ALL of the Canadian XDs lack side airbags.

turboron_98
11-18-2006, 04:00 PM
I have an '05 XD2 and the seats aren't that bad. it isn't leather though.

Munky
11-18-2006, 04:17 PM
Okay, my stock seats have a little tag on the side that Say "SRS Airbags" but where exactly are they? Built into the sides of the seat? Thankfully I've never been in a wreck bad enough to make them deploy.

03GTE
11-18-2006, 06:52 PM
Okay, my stock seats have a little tag on the side that Say "SRS Airbags" but where exactly are they? Built into the sides of the seat? Thankfully I've never been in a wreck bad enough to make them deploy.

yeah their in the side where the tag is.

Ugzz
11-20-2006, 12:28 PM
the seats have those smaller lump-ish pieces sticking out of the sides, those are the bags. they did a good job to make the aesthetics flow but you can still tell theres something in there heh

Lts 05GT
11-27-2006, 11:48 PM
My 05' has the leather seats, which my wife CONSTANTLY complains about. I too think they are too firm, and the side bolster needs improvement. This and the clutch are the only 2 gripes I've ever had with this car, unlike my last vehicle, 02 S-10, which the seats were the only things I liked in the whole thing (skull #$#@ GM to death in the eye socket :mad:, man I wish they made an emoticon for that!!)