Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

TPMS Light >500 miles on car

[HD] 
8K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  sts7049 
#1 ·
I purchased my first car on Thursday July 10, an '08 Elantra with the popular equipment plus sunroof package. I paid $15300 before taxes and fees, $16700 after.

I'm having some issues with the TPMS system. I've had the light come on about 5 times. The light came on twice the night I purchased it. Has anyone else had issues with the system? Should I get it fixed since it stays on for about 10 minutes each time?

Also, how does the TPMS on the elantra work? Is it a direct (pressure sensitive based) or indirect (imaging based) system.

#4 ·
90% Of our TPMS issues are from customers too lazy to check their tire pressures and adjust as necessary. In fact, we had to purchase a small air compressor for the service drive to use to air up tires.

#8 ·
^ To amplify Colin's comment above, since it's part of the valve stem, it's a direct pressure reading system. Also, don't just check the tire pressure, put more air in if the pressure is under the pressure listed on the plate on the rocker panel inside the driver's door opening (or the tire pressure listed in the manual).

Don't overpressure the tires either. I'm not sure about the system on the Elantra HD, but on the '08 Subaru Impreza if the pressure is too much higher than the recommended pressure (even if it's under the tire's sidewall max pressure rating), the TPMS light will come on.

#9 ·
Dunno about the new HD but is the spare a full size or one of those solid rubber deals?

Anyway, our trundra had the TPMS light go on, checked the tires, all were good except for the spare tire. Leave it to toyota to put TPMS in their spare tires too. LOL.

#10 ·
^ haha now that's funny. i guess i don't understand how the TPMS tells the car to turn on the light but why would the light come on with the spare in the trunk?

#13 ·
Sorry for the confusion. The issue with the light is actually the TPMS light, not the low pressure light indicator. The TPMS system has two lights, one which is shaped like a tire with an ! inside, and another that says TPMS. According to the book, when the light that says TPMS is on there is a system issue.

#16 ·
take it to the dealer. there could be a problem or the sales dept. could have traded rims and tires with another car and not programed the sensors.

#14 ·
The system probably wasn't setup correctly by the dealer. Basically the dealer needs to plug in a scan tool and program the tire sensors to the car. If that wasn't done (or done incorrectly) you will get that light. Take it back to the dealer and have them re-program the computer.

#15 ·
Also, when the tpms system is programmed for sensors, there can't be any other cars nearby with the sensors. Problems have came up with cars sitting at a light and the light will turn on because the car next to them has a low tire or faulty sensor.

#17 ·
I don't understand this thread. You already knew that there was a problem with the system based on the owner's manual information. Why would you even question whether or not you should get it fixed?

#18 ·
The reason I asked is because I have to drive 90 miles to get it fixed at the dealership I bought it from since all the local ones are horrible. I wondered if I should drive to get it fixed and if it would actually be fixed (since I've seen many reviews regarding this being an issue). The light has came on several times, but hasn't stayed on very long. Either way, it would be nice to have it working properly as it doesn't seem to be.

#19 ·
Bottom line: if the tires are at the correct pressures then you need to go to a dealer to get it fixed. You chose the dealer 90 miles away so live with your decision and drive the 90 miles to get it fixed or change your mind and take it to a dealer closer. Why is this so complicated?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.