Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

HELP - Humming sound after installing CAI

16K views 101 replies 27 participants last post by  MrElantra104 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

I got my accord CAI from eBay seller eautoracing. Shipping was quick. Anyways, I installed it yesterday. It sounds and looks great; however, there's a loud noticeable humming sound. It seems that is comming from the end of the pipe where the air filter is. This humming sound pitch does not change at all even when stepping on the accelerator. The sound is constant and never changes. Do you know what might be causing that? I have recorded the sound for you guys using my iRiver H10. You will notice that the humming sound will increase as I place the recorder on the floor close to the driver side tire where the air filter is. I hope this has been discussed before and that there's simple solution to this. I want this sound gone or at least minimized... I am very frustrated as it took me about 6 hours to perfectly do this CAI mod. I did make sure everything is plugged back in (small little blue hose. MAF sensor, and battery) as well as tighten up all hose clamps. BTW, I am using a K&N RU-3580 air filter instead. Also, the pipe's diameter is 2.75". Click here to listen to the sound.

Thanks,

Ed

Pics of CAI:

See less See more
#2 ·
I did not listen to the sound (I'm at work), but are you certain the tube is not contacting anything? Contact with other parts of the engine / fender is a common occurrance, and the vibration could cause noise as it resonates on the tubing.

#4 · (Edited)
I also supected vibration from something but am puzzled after listening to the recording.. as you say the humming is constant and does not change with engine revs. Any chance it is an electrical component... maybe the rad fan is causing the vibration..? Do you have any rubber or such where the pipe goes through to the front fender?

I have an SRI and note a hissing sound as it pulls in air especially when I shut the engine off but its nothing like this sound.

Sharp looking install by the way !

#5 · (Edited)
hyunelan2 said:
I did not listen to the sound (I'm at work), but are you certain the tube is not contacting anything? Contact with other parts of the engine / fender is a common occurrance, and the vibration could cause noise as it resonates on the tubing.
I am sure that the pipe is not rubbing against anything as I even shaked the pipes a bit to see if sound would change but it didn't. Also, I put my hand around the air filter and the sound stayed the same.
DAILLESTWUN said:
I have never heard that sund in my life. It doesn't even sound like anything is rubbing....that's weird... :confused:
Now I'm beginning to worried :confused:

fgummett said:
I also supected vibration from something but am puzzled after listenig to the recording.. the humming is constant and does not change with engine revs. Any chance it is an electrical component... maybe the rad fan that is causing the vibration..? Do you have any rubber or such where the pipe goes through to the front fender?

Sharp looking install by the way !
Thanks! Yes I did use the black plastics provided with the CAI around the hole... What and where is the rad fan?

BTW, I forgot to mention that I have a 2005 Elantra GLS sedan automatic.

#6 ·
"What and where is the rad fan?"

Sorry.. are the radiator fans running when you recorded this? Just guessing but it seems to me it has to be something that runs at a constant speed and is not dependant on engine revs.

#7 ·
almost sounds like there's a hole somewhere and the air passing through is making that noise. like if you blow over an empty beer bottle. but if that were the case i'd expect the pitch to change as your rev the engine and more air passes through. so maybe that's not the case. maybe it's the filter. try taking the filter off the end of the intake and start the car. just make sure there's nothing around that can be sucked in. or maybe put a sweatshirt or something over the opening. make sure it doesn't get sucked up. doesn't really sound like a vibration sound by check if the intake tubing is vibrating against the hole under the battery. keep us update

#8 · (Edited)
^^^ makes sense to do the trial and error method.. process of elimination.
Does this go away if you hold the pipe steady in your hand. In the pictures I notice a wire loom snaking over top of the piping any chance that is carrying a vibration? Kinda grabbing at straws I know but this is a puzzler

#9 · (Edited)
OK, How about this? I'll go ahead and remove the K&N air filter and use the blue generic one supplied with the CAI. I'll see if the sound changes. Keep you guys updated. BTW, thx for the help... I posted this same thread over @ ElantraClub and so far no1 has replied :(

#10 ·
here's another idea. i dunno if it's just the angle of the picture but it looks like the intake is touching the brake fluid reservoir (right by the MAF sensor). with the car running try to push the tubing away from it. maybe it's vibrating the reservoir and sneding the vibrations down to the brakes or something else like that. i'd check that before swapping the filters.

#11 ·
If the vibration was tight enough somewhere, as in didn't have a lot of room to move where it is coming into contact with something else, then it could definately be a vibration. Just like a tuning fork, doesn't matter what you place it against when it's been sounded, it still carries the same note, if the CAI was resting against something with no visible room to move (and the tiniest amount of actual room) then it would make a noise like that without appearing to be rattling or hitting anything.

#13 ·
yevRPS said:
here's another idea. i dunno if it's just the angle of the picture but it looks like the intake is touching the brake fluid reservoir (right by the MAF sensor). with the car running try to push the tubing away from it. maybe it's vibrating the reservoir and sneding the vibrations down to the brakes or something else like that. i'd check that before swapping the filters.
No I made sure that the pipe did not get in contact with the brake fluid reservior. Actually I had a friend with me and he put the car in drive and when the engine moved back, it still had half inch of room before touching the reservoir...

#17 · (Edited)
jayupark said:
I have the same sound... Sounds like a UFO hovering in one of those old Sci Fi movies huh? That sound comes from the air rushing through the intake tubes. Nothing to be concerned about (unless yours is really loud).
OK, mine is really loud... isn't it? OK, so you're saying that this is normal...? If it is, then I'll just have to live with it... but I want more confirmation of this sound... Please please please listen to the sound... do many of you 04-05 elantra owners that have installed Accord CAI have this exact sound...?

#19 · (Edited)
...just went out to check my '05 GT 5SPD with a custom (AKA homemade) SRI and I DO have the exact same hum at the exact same pitch. It does not vary in pitch (except to disappear briefly) when I gun the engine. It is not as loud as on your recording but otherwise sounds and behaves identically. I suspect it is louder with a CAI than an SRI as there is more pipe for the sound to resonate through. I do not think this is a cause for concern unless the noise is really bothering you but my solution would be to use the gas pedal to make a much better noise ;-)

#21 ·
robs02elantra said:
Also could be louder from where the (I'm assuming) mic was placed to record the sound...
For sure... with an SRI if I put my ear next to the filter I'm also much closer to the engine noise, unlike the wheel well.

#22 ·
fgummett said:
...just went out to check my '05 GT 5SPD with a custom (AKA homemade) SRI and I DO have the exact same hum at the exact same pitch. It does not vary in pitch (except to disappear briefly) when I gun the engine. It is not as loud as on your recording but otherwise sounds and behaves identically. I suspect it is louder with a CAI than an SRI as there is more pipe for the sound to resonate through. I do not think this is a casue for concern unless the noise is really bothering you but my solution woud be to use the gas pedal to make a much better noise ;-)
LOL ok then i'll just have to live with it... :mad:

This thread should definetely be a sticky or something in the front page to warned 04-06 elantra owners of this high pitch sound if they decide to go for a CAI. I mean it's freaking noticeable at idle and when stopped on a traffic light. I just can't figure out why noone posted this early... OK, enough with the whining :angryfire

Now, let's :drive:

robs02elantra said:
Also could be louder from where the (I'm assuming) mic was placed to record the sound...
I'm gonna go record the sound from inside the car with windows opened and with windows closed :D BRB...

#23 · (Edited)
See that's what comes of living in Florida.. cruisin' round, hangin' out of the windows. :D Up here in Canada the windows are firmly shut with the heater fan blowing full strength to drown out any noise ;)

If it is really noisy inside the car with windows up we might have to think about other ideas.

#24 · (Edited)
OK, I just recorded the sound from inside the car. The sound is in the background not as noticeable as when I had the recorder in the floor by the air filter. You can't really tell the difference when I have the windows down or up... the only difference is that you'll hear the engine more with the windows down. However, with the windows up, the sound was still there with less engine noise. Again, you don't really hear it when driving. Anyways, enjoy... I had to do some quick audio editing as I was lucky enough to have an airplane passing by... :cool:

ANNOYING HIGH PITCH SOUND HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.