Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Help!! No Sound

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  kschoo2004 
#1 ·
My audio suddenly stopped yesterday. Here is my set up.

Alpine cda-9847
front speakers a/d/s 6.5" components
rear 6x9 stock
12" infinity sub with jensen amp.

Well I get sound and power to the sub, but none of the speakers get any sound. I tried replacing the deck and I still don't any sound. I'm not sure what is going on so any suggestions would be great.

Matt

#3 ·
the front and rear deck speakers are the ones with no sound (they are powered by the HU). I'll recheck to make sure they are not touching any metal, but I'm pretty sure they are not.

This is just happend suddenly (I've had my set up for like 6 months working just fine)

#5 ·
but his HU powers up, so fuse is good.

it definitely could be a short in one of the speaker wires. that would overload the internal amp and cause it to shut down. use a test meter to test the resistance of all four speakers to ground. if any of them are 0 ohms, there's a short to ground, and it's causing the amp to shut off.

#6 · (Edited)
I grounded the HU with the wire harness ground, should I have grounded it to the metal frame?

I'll check the speaker powers when I get a chance.

Southpaw can you explain to me how I need to check the ground speaker wires in a bit more detail ( I'm like an idiot when it comes to volt meters and elec engineering stuff). Thanks.

#7 ·
southpawboston,

you are genious and I thank you. My stereo works now, basically what happend was my passenger side tweeter came lose from the door panel and it had a small piece of metal exposed and it was touching the door so that was the short. I retaped it with electrical tape and it works perfectly now.

On a side note, how did you mount your tweeters. I hot glued mine to the door panel but it seems it doesn't hold well; trying to find something that I can do and still easily remove.

Thanks again for everyones help.

#8 · (Edited)
mlumz said:
southpawboston,

you are genious and I thank you.
just here to help, sir. glad the problem is solved!

On a side note, how did you mount your tweeters. I hot glued mine to the door panel but it seems it doesn't hold well; trying to find something that I can do and still easily remove.
i'm a big fan of adhesives, just not hot glue, lol... hot glue always seems to come loose from whatever surface you're gluing. it seems to work best with fabrics and poorly with smooth plastics.

my tweets seated perfectly along the circular rim behind tweeter grille, but had no way of staying attached. i used an incredible adhesive called "goop". it's a clear adhesive gel-liquid that dries to the consistency of hard rubber. and man, is it strong... it clings hard to most surfaces, rough or smooth. ran a thin bead of it along that circular lip inside the grille, and seated the tweeter frame right on it. the dome of the tweeter fit perfectly within the lip, and so did not come into any contact with the adhesive. it has held up fine over two years, and i'm worried i may never be able to remove the tweets if i sell the car!

on the other hand, hot glue can work great if you use literally gobs of it. if you use it to completely fill in an empty air space, it can create a sort of permanent "entombment" of whatever it is surrounding.

then again, neither of these solutions will allow the tweets to be removed sometime in the future...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.