Tools for job:
10, 12, 14mm sockets/wrenches
Difficulty level: 2
Time for project: 1 hour
1) Open hood
2) Gaze a engine with disgust
3) Disconnect battery!
4) Remove coolant overflow line (ensure the engine is cold when doing this)
5) Remove PS pump adjustment bolts
6) Move PS pump to the side.
7) Remove PS pump bracket (6 bolts total: 3 in triangle, 1 down and to the right and 2 on left side of bracket)
8) Now there is another bracket to loosen, you cant remove it unless you you remove the waterpump pulley and thats just a pain, so loosen the two bolts off as much as you can until that bracket swings to the left.
9) Go underneath car
10) Remove power wires from alternator (clip and bolt)
11) Remove nut from alternator, then push long swivel bolt out.
12) Now push on alternator until it comes off bracket.
13) Go back up top and try to wrangle alternator out.
Install is just opposite of removal though when installing alternator make sure its totally bolted down with belt tension set before going on to PS pump.
Install points to consider:
A) Put swivel bolt through new alternator with the nut on the end.
B) Seat alternator back on to lower swing bracket and push in as far as possible, it will be very tight so dont give up.
C) Once its in as far as you can manage swivel alternator up and place the tension adjustment bolts in so that the alternator swings for up and down adjustment. If you push the alternator all the way down at this point the lower bracket will seat itself all the way in.
D) Now carry on with PS bracket and pump installation and adjustment.