Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

ECU Fuse Keeps Blowing

7K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mnstrmech 
#1 ·
I'm so over my car right now, I'd sell it for a dime if I didn't owe so much on it.

All right, I'm driving real slow early yesterday morning, car starts to buck, like I'm not giving it enough gas. I shift into 2nd and give it gas, the car stalls. Tried to start it, wouldn't turn over, but it cranked.

Long story short, 9 hours later, 1 shop later, and 3 mechanics, I have a blown 10 AMP mini fuse in the dash for the ECU.

Replaced it with a spare 10 amp mini fuse, car turns over, and I drive home. I'm suppose to be going out to Tampa later on last night, I pull out of the drive way, the car stalls again. Check the fuse, it had blown again. Used the ABS fuse, since I don't have ABS, started the car, put it in first, started to drive away, it died again.

Replaced the fuse again, this time with the Audio 10 amp fuse, the same thing happened.

Since the 10's were blowing, I upped it to 15 amp fuse, the spare we carry in our cars. The car works fine now.

Does anyone know where I should start looking for the short in the ECU system? Is it the ECU, or the harness?

I'm afraid to keep using the 15 amp fuse, because the wires might start to overheat and melt after continuing use of the fuse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
i say limp it to a dealer and see what they can find... tell them the same story that you just told us and they may give you a new ECU

#3 ·
Get that ****ing 15a fuse out of there. NOW.
If a dealer finds out you did that you just voided your warrenty.

fuses don't just blow. something is wrong. if it is the fuse for the ecu, and you HAVENT tampered with it, and you are under warrenty, let the dealership deal with it. there is nothing you can do. put a 10a fuse it and tow it to the dealership. please don't get stuck with a dead, no-warrenty car that you owe money on.

#4 ·
Keyan, unfortunately, that's the position I'm in at one dealership. They've voided my warranty and will not do any warranty work due them seeing me drag race at Orlando Speedworld. A bunch of BS that is.

I can, however, just go to another dealership. I'll do as you've suggested. I'll load the 10amp fuse back in, kill it, and then call Hyundai's roadside assistance. I didn't know they'd void the warranty for a fuse, but that certainly makes sense. I haven't done anything electrical to the car except add horns and 2 additional 12V outlets, but those don't interfere with the ECU, I think.

Thanks man, I appreciate the help.

#5 ·
Well if you load a bigger amp fuse in it, and something inside the ecu grounds out and the fuse doesn't pop cause there isn't enough amperage to pop it, the ecu will catch fire / melt / burn itself out and then you'd REALLY have issues. sorry for cursing but I had to get the point across...haha

#6 ·
are you talking about fuse #10?
if you are, then boy would that be fun to trace! that fuse powers the multifunction switch, cruise control module, stop lamp switch, ecm, and since you dont have it, tcs switch!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.