Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Trailer Hitch - where to buy?

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  QuickSilverGT 
#1 ·
I need to put a hitch on my Santa Fe. Nothing super heavy-duty, I'm only going to be pulling a Jetski, maybe 2. Uhaul has Class III hitches for $140. I could probalby get by with a class I, but the price isn't that much less, and Uhaul only has class III. On Ebay, after shipping, I'm looking at about the same. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy one? I need it installed for late next week, or early the week after (pulling Jetskis to Indiana during 4th of July weekend).

#2 · (Edited)
I would go ahead with the Class III from Uhaul. Even though you don't need all of a Class III, you may need it down the road. If it is only a few extra bucks, I would go for it. I don't know if you have any truck stores around your place. Here in the Columbus area, there are many truck stores that sell just about everything to upgrade trucks and SUV's. Everything from bling to Off-Road. Besides Uhaul and a specailty shop, I really don't know any other place that does them. I know it would be really expensive, but the only other place that comes to mind is the dealership.

#3 ·
We sell them for a Tucson... for 88.70 + shipping for a class 1... now i'm not sure if a tucson hitch would fit on a sante fe.... I'd give our sales guys a call and see what they can do for you... These hitches are sold by Putnam... here's a link where you can view them and give us a call for any ?s

http://www.discount-trailers.com/receiver-hitches.htm

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks Gman - ordered. Today they had $0.99 shipping if you spent over $150. Between the hitch (vally - class III), the no-splice wiring harness, and shipping it's on its way for $165.64. It's coming UPS Ground from Missouri, so it will hopefully be here mid-next week. I still have to pick up a ball, pin, and ball-mount, but those are not expensive and I'm not sure how long of a mount I need yet - I can get one of those anywhere, even walmart.

Thanks everyone.

#6 ·
Gman said:
http://www.etrailer.com/products.asp?model=Santa+Fe&category=hitch&year=2004&make=Hyundai&t1=&h=e

I hate Uhaul hitches - they always make their's so they hang down under the bumper so they can show off the uhaul logo.

I have a etrailer one on the wifes xd
Funny thing is that U-Haul doesn't make their own hitches, they are bought from various outside manufacturers such as valley, draw tite, etc...

I would go with the U-Haul class III hitch, accessories for a class 3 are more plentiful than for a class 1 (2" reciever vs 1.25") and you could get there warranty which will cover it if anything ever happens to it. They are also custom made for each vehichle so installation ends up being pretty simple. I also believe that the prewires for the santa fe are on the passenger side tucked above the exhaust area.

#7 ·
well if u-haul don't make them, they buy the ****tiest looking ones and slap their logo on them. Friend had one on his van, and you could see the whole cross bar, but the one on our van, the same model of van, all you could see was the receiver.

Glad I could help.

#8 · (Edited)
It all depends on the rating of the hitch and which is the easiest to install at the time... periodically they will come out with different designs to make it an easier install. It also depends on the vehichle, I know that the caravan's with stow and go seating have completely different hitches than the one's without.

I also doubt the a hitch that would sit like this (drop down):

would be as capable of pulling the amount of weight of a hitch that is designed like so (integrated):

------<>------

based on the fact that you would just have reciever part of it hanging as opposed to being integrated into the tubing if the hitch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.