Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Check Engine light on and flashing

25K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  cclngthr 
#1 ·
Today on my way to work the check engine light went on and was flashing. As I fed the car gas it seemed to shutter a bit and was running real rough. Yesterday it worked fine. Never had this problem before. The car has 69,000 miles on it. I called the dealer and he told me not to drive the vehicle if the light is flashing. I had it towed to the dealer. The service advisor told me that if the light is flashing it is most likely an engine problem and should be covered under the 100,000 power train warranty. The oil is changed every 3,000 miles and looked good. All the belts and hoses looked good too.
I hope I did the right thing having it towed to the dealer, for he told me that the diagnostic test would be $90.00 and if it turned out not to be an engine problem I would have to pay that.
Any ideas would be helpful.
thank you,
Al

#3 · (Edited)
flashing cel means cataytic failure often times caused by running too lean (i believe). changing out the plugs and wires seemed to have fixed the cel for most people.

#4 ·
And at 69000 miles,plugs are not covered and I dont think wires are either.....Thats horrible that I cant remember that crap.Be prepared to get a nice estimate ;)
You are in 60k service territory
timing belt,drive belts, trans service, coolant service and so on

#7 ·
:bowdown: ^^ Congrats on your 500th Post ^^ :bowdown:

Yeah that is a bit expensive I'd say. If they didn't replace all 4 you def. got ripped...I would check and ask them just to be sure...there's no way 1 spark plug should cost 160 bucks....

#8 ·
probley did replace all 4... unless the dealer is just trying f*ck him over... still thats a crap load of money for that simple fix... but then again dealers love to take your money. My sister went to a dealer and asked them how much they would charge for spark plugs to be put in if she provided them and they said 100... HA 100 dollars and your providing the plugs thats nuts.

#9 ·
Ok, guys. Let's think for a minute. There is no code that says "replace spark plug wires" (and for those saying spark plugs, he said wires which are a little more expensive). When he got there, he was probably quoted 1 hour for diagnosis. That is probably around $80. Then he got charged for the wires, probably around $40 and half an hour labor to put them in, that's another $40. Therefore costing $160. You have to pay for experience. If it was as simple as replacing spark plug wires, then why didn't he do it himself? Because he didn't know what the hell was wrong. If you don't know what's going on, be prepared to pay someone who does.

#11 ·
Yes, They replaced my spark plug wires. Not the plugs. The wires were just over $50.00 plus they charged me 1 hours worth of labor for the scan and the install plus tax. I know it seems a bit high, but I don't do this kind of work for a living so I have no choice but to pay somebody who can.

Oh, and thank you ricerrx7. What you wrote was exactly correct.

#13 ·
Cypher said:
flashing cel means cataytic failure often times caused by running too lean (i believe). changing out the plugs and wires seemed to have fixed the cel for most people.
:D. told ya ;)

#14 ·
I know what you mean Ricerrx , I get the same thing when I make computer repair calls .

#15 ·
I get the same crap at U-Haul. We go to hook up a trailer and their wiring harness doesn't work, they proceed to tell me it worked fine on their boat (never fails), show them why its not working and whats wrong with it, they refuse to do it themselves, and ***** when they get a quote on how much it'll run. We charge a min. of $32.50 for any work we do, and you'd be surprised how many people will come in and pay when all that wrong is a fuse is blown.

#16 ·
Cypher said:
:D. told ya ;)
not really a flashing cel means there is a cylinder misfire and code p0300-p0304 when it flashes it means you should stop driving or you risk damaging the cat the raw fuel from the misfiring cyl. will burn in the cat. this will overheat and damage it. in some cases if you continue to drive and the plug is not firing at all the raw fuel in the cyl will wash the oil from the cyl walls and rings causeing wear and will damage your engine and cause low compression

#18 ·
HYTECH said:
not really a flashing cel means there is a cylinder misfire and code p0300-p0304 when it flashes it means you should stop driving or you risk damaging the cat the raw fuel from the misfiring cyl. will burn in the cat. this will overheat and damage it. in some cases if you continue to drive and the plug is not firing at all the raw fuel in the cyl will wash the oil from the cyl walls and rings causeing wear and will damage your engine and cause low compression
a flashing check engine light does not necessarily mean a misfire...and the car can have a misfire code w/out cel flashing...

#19 · (Edited)
TwiZ said:
a flashing check engine light does not necessarily mean a misfire...and the car can have a misfire code w/out cel flashing...
a constant misfire is the only thing that will flash a cel if the misfire is only under load and/or not constant it will not flash

BlackElantraGT said:
Hytech, if one of the cylinders has low compression, would it cause the engine to make a whining sound? I might have to post a sound clip later.
no it shouldn't if you had low compression on one cyl you would have a misfire at lower rpm

#20 ·
ricerrx7 said:
^No problem. I am a technician at a dealership, and it pisses me off when people don't understand and automatically think we're always trying to rip them off.
They DID rip him off! It takes what, 2 minutes to check the codes and they charged $90 for it?! It takes another 10-15 minutes to change the plug wires. So he got tagged for an hour's labor for a quarter hour's work? How is that NOT a rip-off?

For future reference, NGK wires are under $50 including shipping (the stock wires are ~$60). ANYONE with a 10mm socket wrench to remove the engine cover and few functioning brain cells can install them.

Remember, dealers and other service shops prey on people's ignorance and fear of working on their cars. For what Codycat paid the dealer, he could have bought wires, plugs and a LOT of tools that would save him more money in the future. The the complete service manuals for any late-model Hyundai are accessible free online at www.hmaservice.com. A few minutes spent educating oneself can save a fortune in overpriced - or unnecessary - repairs.

I'm not trying to make Codycat or anyone else feel bad, but rather to encourge people to take the initiative and learn about their vehicles and how to maintain them. Not only will it save them money, but it's very satisfying to be "automotively self-sufficient".

#21 ·
Bnystrom said:
They DID rip him off! It takes what, 2 minutes to check the codes and they charged $90 for it?! It takes another 10-15 minutes to change the plug wires. So he got tagged for an hour's labor for a quarter hour's work? How is that NOT a rip-off?

For future reference, NGK wires are under $50 including shipping (the stock wires are ~$60). ANYONE with a 10mm socket wrench to remove the engine cover and few functioning brain cells can install them.

Remember, dealers and other service shops prey on people's ignorance and fear of working on their cars. For what Codycat paid the dealer, he could have bought wires, plugs and a LOT of tools that would save him more money in the future. The the complete service manuals for any late-model Hyundai are accessible free online at www.hmaservice.com. A few minutes spent educating oneself can save a fortune in overpriced - or unnecessary - repairs.

I'm not trying to make Codycat or anyone else feel bad, but rather to encourge people to take the initiative and learn about their vehicles and how to maintain them. Not only will it save them money, but it's very satisfying to be "automotively self-sufficient".
Dealers charge a minimum of 1 hour labor regardless of the time involved to change a part. Most independent shops also charge a minimum of 1 hour as well. It is a moneymaker. I also charge a minimum 1 hour labor for the INITAL diagnostic. It might take that long to find it. When we dyno the car, we are also using expensive equipment and this kind of test equipment does cost a lot. I paid 6 grand for the scan tool alone, and for all of the cars that we work on, the total cost for the software was over 15,000. Another 50 grand was spent on another computer system to check the ignition systems. This equipment enables us to properly diagnose the problem.

#22 ·
shops have to make money too. they didn't rip him off persay. its just how the real world operates. get over it.

#23 · (Edited)
Bnystrom said:
No offense, but that is ignorant. There is no code that says "replace spark plug wires". The tech has to check the code, then diagnose the problem. Then they have to repair the problem. He got off easy if he was only charged 1.0 hours. That's usually the dianostic time, then they should have charged for the repair. You're assuming that most people care about working on their cars. Most people are more than happy to drop the car off somewhere, and pick it up when it's fixed. And remember, the technician, service writer, parts guy, service manager, and dealership all have to make money. Do you work for free? I seriously doubt it.

And why should the technician make less money for being able to work fast? Depending on the car, it might pay 1.6 hours to change a front hub/bearing assembly, and I can do it in under 45 minutes. Does that mean I should only charge for 45 minutes? Of course not. I would never make any money. I know of a couple technicians at my dealership that do over 70 hours worth of work per week, and they're only there for 40 hours. It's called flat rate, and it's how every shop in the country works.

#24 ·
ricerrx7 said:
No offense, but that is ignorant. There is no code that says "replace spark plug wires". The tech has to check the code, then diagnose the problem. Then they have to repair the problem. He got off easy if he was only charged 1.0 hours. That's usually the dianostic time, then they should have charged for the repair. You're assuming that most people care about working on their cars. Most people are more than happy to drop the car off somewhere, and pick it up when it's fixed. And remember, the technician, service writer, parts guy, service manager, and dealership all have to make money. Do you work for free? I seriously doubt it.

And why should the technician make less money for being able to work fast? Depending on the car, it might pay 1.6 hours to change a front hub/bearing assembly, and I can do it in under 45 minutes. Does that mean I should only charge for 45 minutes? Of course not. I would never make any money. I know of a couple technicians at my dealership that do over 70 hours worth of work per week, and they're only there for 40 hours. It's called flat rate, and it's how every shop in the country works.
I can change a motor in 2 hours with a helper. That is quick (took one out in 45 minutes). That does not mean I HAVE to charge that much for every motor swap. Keep in mind here there are 2 people doing the work.

Most people don't have the time (or skill) to work on cars. I know I don't have the time, and I work on cars.

#25 ·
Bnystrom said:

So Bnystrom lets say you went to autozone and pulled your codes and it showed P0302 tell us what you would do?

#26 ·
HYTECH said:
So Bnystrom lets say you went to autozone and pulled your codes and it showed P0302 tell us what you would do?
First off, you must know what that code is, and figure out what is causing it. How much time involved is there in doing this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.