Squealing belt when turning steering wheel all the way left or right
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Squealing belt when turning steering wheel all the way left or right

EXD Pro Member Leviathant can identify a wrench Leviathant's Avatar

Default Squealing belt when turning steering wheel all the way left or right

When I go to do a 3-point turn to get out of my little street, if I turn the wheel all the way to the right or to the left, my car makes a terrible squealy belt noise. Should I be concerned about this? I replaced all of my belts not too long ago, did they just not tighten the power steering belt? (There is such a thing as a power steering belt, right? Heh.)
    151,000 miles on my '01 Champagne GLS w/ Euro Antenna, OEM Wood Dash Kit, OEM Tiburon Gauges, KDM Card Holder, OEM Tiburon Clarion/Hyundai CD player, GT Tweeters, Mussa Strut Bar, 19mm Tiburon OEM Sway Bar. Pics & Details here, Maintentance log here

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Calf...Ankles...Cankles!! evan938 knows a lot about Elantras evan938's Avatar

Default Re: Squealing belt when turning steering wheel all the way left or right

my bros car did it too, and no matter how much we tightened it, or loosened it, it still happened. i popped the hood one day and had him turn the wheel and when he was locked either way, the pully wouldnt spin, but the belt did, making it squeal. he totalled it a few days later, so we didnt worry about it

mine also did it after i removed my OBX crank pulley a week before i stopped driving it...not sure why though...

only think i can think of is to get your power steering fluid flushed and refilled, and make sure the belt is at the correct tension and see if it helps
    local forum post, users mom is an actual meth-head
    In the last convo i had with my Birth Giver. After I confronted her on leaving me for dead 17years prior to pursue a life of drugs and prostitution she seriously said "Rhett, there is nothing wrong with sucking cock for crack god damn it!!"

Senior Member 2000 elantra has not yet proved knowledgeable 2000 elantra's Avatar

Default Re: Squealing belt when turning steering wheel all the way left or right

had the same problem but i just lossen my alternator belt and where tighten that and it went away.i've had this problem lots of times on the j2

Mine as well. Just put a little more tension on it yesterday.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
    "That's because Hyundai Jesus said so. Respect him." - SuperGLS

Y2K Elantra Commuter Fishslayer has not yet proved knowledgeable

Belts often need to be adjusted soon after installation. For sure they should be checked after a few hundred miles.

Fishslayer

that would be the third adjustment over 10k miles...
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
    "That's because Hyundai Jesus said so. Respect him." - SuperGLS

Full Member ExemptedNut has not yet proved knowledgeable ExemptedNut's Avatar

I just dealt with this problem and after racking my brain (and buggin some xd members about it) I was able to fix it by tightening my alternator belt, and at that point I realized that I no longer have the metal piece with the two bolts through it, on of the bolts which screws into the alternator through the slot in the alternator bracket, so now I have to retighten the alternator every week or so cause it wiggles loose while driving

Super Moderator Cypher knows a lot about Elantras Cypher's Avatar

make sure all the belts are secure and have enough tension on them and make sure your fluid is at the correct level.
    2002 Hyundai Elantra: Sold
    1991 Nissan 240sx Hatch SR Swapped: Sold
    1992 Toyota MR2: Sold
    1991 Nissan 240sx Coupe: Future KA-T
    1999 Hyundai Tiburon: Daily Driver

Y2K Elantra Commuter Fishslayer has not yet proved knowledgeable

Might be worth a mention that TOO MUCH tension is as bad as too little tension. Worse, actually. Too little & ya squeal. Too much & ya get early bearing failure.

Fishslayer

Any chance someone can point me to some instuctions on how to check for proper PS belt tension?

Junior Member AtlXD2 has not yet proved knowledgeable AtlXD2's Avatar

oooh, old topic. But it still haunts.

yeah I put all new belts on my 05 XD2 and it squeels like a pig at max lock, and only at max lock. What I don't understand is the PS belt is nice and tight BUT the PS pump is at the maximum "up" position. so I can't loosen the tension even if I wanted. which I guess is good because its squeeling, but being bottomed out surely isn't ideal I would think. I'm using all hyundai belts. so yeah. if being "too" tight can cause squeeling, then the only hope I have is that it will loosen up every so slightly with age and alleviate the noise.

I wish these cars had a serpentine belt with a single automatic tensioner like my Benz. Talk about a quick, flawless install that's impossible to mess up. sigh. There's nothing worse than people looking crazy at you for having a screaming car.

Soon to be Banned NovaResource knows about Elantras NovaResource's Avatar

All cars squeal a full lock. The belt is squealing because the pump stressed when trying to push the rack further than it can go.

Shadow Ninja Mobius1 has not yet proved knowledgeable Mobius1's Avatar

mine doesn't make any of those noises and i've done the belt twice already.
    When you're out of fuel, your altitude is dropping and you're out of ideas...Eject! Eject! Eject!!

Fired Up!! Feels Good!!

Super Moderator Qyn has information that can be trusted Qyn has information that can be trusted Qyn's Avatar

Mine does it too. Instead of 3-pointers I e-brake turn... fun for the whole family!
    Quote Originally Posted by BobMs_wht2k2 View Post
    I once thought I was wrong. It turned out I was only mistaken. Hasn't happened since.
    Like what I'm saying? Use the Rep system and let me know! You can also follow my Twitter.

Just had my timing belt, and 3 accessory belts changed in my elantra 03 gt, and when the wheel is turned all the way, the belt makes a loud squealing noise as described in this thread. It basically happens when I'm reversing out of my driveway onto the street (which requires full turn) -- but not always (sometimes louder than other times).

any ideas on how to fix the problem? does it go away on its own overtime as it ages? is it something that I can just ignore/get used to, and not have to worry about long-term damage?

Lastly, I hired a independent mechanic and bought the parts on my own. He provided a 1 year workman labor warranty ... is this something that should be covered under that warranty (fixing the squeal?)

Thanks.
    Last edited by idriveabucket; 10-20-2013 at 06:35 PM.

+ Reply to Thread