Water leak in trunk
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water leak in trunk

Newbie 22t has not yet proved knowledgeable

Default Water leak in trunk

I have a 2001 4 door Elantra VE, It has rained a fair bit here on Vancouver Island the last few days and when I opened the trunk I noticed the mat was soaking wet and when I removed it I noticed that there was ~ a half a litre of water in the drivers side well to the left of the spare tire holder. I could not find any obvious spots where it could of leaked in. The rubber looks fine. Any thoughts on this, has anyone else had this problem?

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Senior Member alienman has not yet proved knowledgeable alienman's Avatar

Default Re: Water leak in trunk

get a hose, or go to a car wash and get someone you trust, make sure it is someone you trust to come with you. get in the trunk and shut it, then have the other person spray water all over the trunk edges and watch to see where it is coming in from... you prolly have to have a flashlight to see...

Another thing you can check is if there are any plugs missing out of the trunk floor in case the water is coming up from underneath while you drive.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro Munky has information that can be trusted Munky has information that can be trusted Munky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alienman
    get a hose, or go to a car wash and get someone you trust, make sure it is someone you trust to come with you. get in the trunk and shut it
    Yeah, that's REAL important, lol.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro : I came, I saw, I stuck around

Ninja Super Mod KeWLKaT knows a lot about Elantras KeWLKaT's Avatar

...or just fold the seats down so you can escape the trunk, lol

'02 Elantra GT
    '04 Suzuki Katana 600

Senior Member Slapshotman7 has not yet proved knowledgeable Slapshotman7's Avatar

I do believe that my 05 has a trunk release handle on the inside, or atleast thats what I assume it is, I havent actually locked myself in the trunk to find out.. and I dont intend on it either..

Veni, Vidi, Velcro Munky has information that can be trusted Munky has information that can be trusted Munky's Avatar

Mine does

Veni, Vidi, Velcro : I came, I saw, I stuck around

There is a seam in the trunk that is not sealed. They are in the back corners (next to the bumper) and water comes up from there.

"Childhood is measured by sounds and smells and sights before the dark hour of reason grows"John Betjeman

EXD SupaMod Ugzz knows a lot about Elantras Ugzz's Avatar

im not from canada hehe -seeing litres threw me off 2- heh

but my old car had a small hole in the rubber where the taillights were located, wires went out and under the car there. i see the hyundais similarly near the lid some have rubber sections there. i would look into those. even thought i had only a small hole everything in my trunk was SOAKED when it was really rainy. and because most of it was backsplash from the road it was dirty water at that :P

Lil SnowFlake TURBOgls has not yet proved knowledgeable TURBOgls's Avatar

ok, had the same problem, what it is, is that water runs down the weather stripping and gets into a tiny hole where the sheet metal is joind together, then runs into the trunk, had a real hard time trying to figure that out today because i had the same problem, got a little sealant and fixed it

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS Automatic

My Garage

Ninja Super Mod KeWLKaT knows a lot about Elantras KeWLKaT's Avatar

fixed it and thats what counts

'02 Elantra GT
    '04 Suzuki Katana 600

Newbie GTRosie has not yet proved knowledgeable

anyone have an actual fix for this? or can you give better details as to where these seams and rubber etc are exactly located? and exactly how to fix it??

+ Reply to Thread