Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

.::: QUICK HELP :::. Door won't close

13K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  jayupark 
#1 ·
My door mechanism will not allow my passenger door to close. Yes, I've tried locking and unlocking, but the little latch on the inside of the door that helps keep the door locked/unlocked is jammed all the way down. I tried to pry it out, but I'm having no such luck.

Any suggestions? I don't wanna leave my door opened all day, especially in this freezing *** weather.

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
It's not frozen shut right now, the piece that swings down to hold the door locked is all the way down instead of up and I can't even close the door... it's being jammed.

EDIT: The piece inside the door which is a "C" when the door is unlocked is now in the shape of a "n." It won't let me close it, and it won't let me open it.

#4 ·
i used to have this problem on my grand prix all the time in the winter... Basically the mechanism gets frozen shut.. what i used to do was get a screw driver and slip it into the latch (the "n" part) and then have someone pull the door handle while you pull the latch with the screwdriver. Basically you're using the screwdriver to replicate the hook on the door that the latch grabs onto... good luck.

#5 ·
o2coolchris said:
i used to have this problem on my grand prix all the time in the winter... Basically the mechanism gets frozen shut.. what i used to do was get a screw driver and slip it into the latch (the "n" part) and then have someone pull the door handle while you pull the latch with the screwdriver. Basically you're using the screwdriver to replicate the hook on the door that the latch grabs onto... good luck.

Wow. What I was going to post to the word. I had the same problem on my Grand Prix, and would get around it in the exact same way. Pull door handle, use screwdriver to pull the 'n' back to a 'c'.

#7 ·
hyunelan2 said:
Wow. What I was going to post to the word. I had the same problem on my Grand Prix, and would get around it in the exact same way. Pull door handle, use screwdriver to pull the 'n' back to a 'c'.
Haha, thats awesome (well sucks that it happens, but you get the point) did you ever have both doors freeze open like that and have to drive with a bungee cord pulling the doors closed together? lol, that wasn't much fun...

hijack over now...sorry :)

#8 ·
Yeah, that was what I was going to say: simulate the striker with a screwdriver and pull on the handle while also pulling on the screwdriver to open the door. It sounds like the mechanism got to the closed position while the door was open.

#9 ·
yup, same thing happened to my 1st gen integra back in my college days... it got ridiculously cold back then. I actually had my driver side door handle break off one day because the door was frozen shut (it was so cold out that the handle was brittle too... -70 with windchill will do that I guess) and I yanked on it too hard... that was not a fun winter (had to get in through the passenger side for the duration of the winter).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.