Whats the best over-the-counter wax and polish?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best over-the-counter wax and polish?

Superfly TnT, Guns of ... ArunSenior04 knows about Elantras ArunSenior04's Avatar

Default Whats the best over-the-counter wax and polish?

I was looking to wash, polish, and wax my car this weekend. Ive been searching all over google for reviews on different waxes and polishes. I wash and wax my car about 2x a month. I was using Meguiars polish, and their Gold Class wax that gave pretty good results, but Im open to anything.

I read the Turtle Wax Ice Polish is really good. Went on great and had a nice shine to it. I also read that Zymol was good. I was thinking about trying a Ice Polish + Zymol for my next polish/wax combo. Ideas, suggestions, comments would be great.
    I am openly BLACK. it is cool to be different 1 of 5 black members on this forum

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS (COTM Dec. '06) - RIP
    2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Super Moderator Cypher knows a lot about Elantras Cypher's Avatar

Default Re: Whats the best over-the-counter wax and polish?

if you can find silver color polish/wax that'd be awesome. i used red polish on the XD and it looked damned amaznig!
    2002 Hyundai Elantra: Sold
    1991 Nissan 240sx Hatch SR Swapped: Sold
    1992 Toyota MR2: Sold
    1991 Nissan 240sx Coupe: Future KA-T
    1999 Hyundai Tiburon: Daily Driver

EXD Pro Member silversharkXD2 knows a lot about Elantras silversharkXD2's Avatar

you know polishing to much is not good for your clearcoat
    If you want an OEM look, stop modding your car

If you disagree with soemone, just call them a troll. It validates all your opinions.
    www.hyundaimotorclub.com - www.facebook.com/groups/hyundaimotorclub.com

whys that

EXD Pro Member NY2002ElantraGT has not yet proved knowledgeable NY2002ElantraGT's Avatar

Turtle makes colored wax. autozone and Aids auto carry it.
    Last edited by NY2002ElantraGT; 03-02-2007 at 02:37 PM.
    Rock Out With Your Cock Out!

Garage ............ OCTOBER COTM ........... CrookedH Oct COTM ............ MYSPACE

the world ends dec21 2012 Estopatitiana has not yet proved knowledgeable Estopatitiana's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    whys that

over time it leaves micro scratches and they build up
    shark racing cai/ 65mmtb/4-1header/full exhaust/ebay muffler/ 17x7 adr sokudo's w/ 225/45 bf goodrich g-force sport's, ground wires/reverse glow guages/ngk plug wires/pcv seperator 15inchsub,pioneerdeck,cleartailight mod, angle eye+painted silver headlights,custom grille+phenolic spacer

then use megauirs scratch-x

EXD Pro Member exsailor has not yet proved knowledgeable exsailor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArunSenior04 View Post
    I was looking to wash, polish, and wax my car this weekend. Ive been searching all over google for reviews on different waxes and polishes. I wash and wax my car about 2x a month. I was using Meguiars polish, and their Gold Class wax that gave pretty good results, but Im open to anything.

I read the Turtle Wax Ice Polish is really good. Went on great and had a nice shine to it. I also read that Zymol was good. I was thinking about trying a Ice Polish + Zymol for my next polish/wax combo. Ideas, suggestions, comments would be great.
    I would think that Pledge would be best for polishing over counters.
    Nothing special to put here.

Super Moderator hyunelan2 knows a lot about Elantras hyunelan2's Avatar

To answer above, polishing could be considered 'bad' for the clearcoat because what you are doing with polish, is smoothing down the surface so it is more reflective. You should be removing fine scratches with polish, not adding them. There are polishes that do not do this, such as the wipe-on wipe-off polishes. Klasse AIO, for example.

I use Klasse products mostly, but they are hard to impossible to find in stores. When I need something now, 3M professional polishes and waxes are what I use. Available anywhere from Walmart to Pep-Boys to Ace Hardware. The stuff in the plain bottle that just says 3M on it.

Here's a bottle of their Hand Glaze:

2010 Equator Sport | 2002 Elantra GLS (sold) | 2003 Tiburon GT | 2004 Santa Fe GLS

EXD Pro Member silversharkXD2 knows a lot about Elantras silversharkXD2's Avatar

friction wears away any surface after time. you rub that clearcoat to much, you are technically gonna rub it off. Thats with a high speed buffer. If you're using a low speed wobler, as I like to call them, or doing it by hand, you are probably ok. once a month is sufficient, really. and you don't have to polish everytime you wax. that would help a little.

If you disagree with soemone, just call them a troll. It validates all your opinions.

Rebuilding the XD CornbreadXD knows a lot about Elantras CornbreadXD's Avatar

like hyunelan I use Klasse, but I've used the 3M polish as well before I was able to get ahold of Klasse
    87 Dodge Daytona Pacifica = Junkyard
    03 Hyundai Elantra XD = 8-30-07 R.I.P
    78 Datsun 280z = Resting
    03 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr = Driving
    03 Kawasaki Ninja 500 = Riding
    i bet my stock elantra will park you!

Ninja Super Mod KeWLKaT knows a lot about Elantras KeWLKaT's Avatar

dont polish you CC all the time you just keep lessening the thickness if u abuse it

'02 Elantra GT
    '04 Suzuki Katana 600

Quote Originally Posted by KeWLKaT View Post
    dont polish you CC all the time you just keep lessening the thickness if u abuse it
    thats what I was trying to say, only I was not quite as incoherent with my words.

Superfly TnT, Guns of ... ArunSenior04 knows about Elantras ArunSenior04's Avatar

I did not know that. I mean, I knew that polish helped with scratches, but I didnt know that extreme polishes messes up the finish.

I was reading that the Turtle Wax Ice Polish was really good. Should I use some kind of sealant between the polish and wax? I guess Ill stay with meguiar's gold class.
    I am openly BLACK. it is cool to be different 1 of 5 black members on this forum

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS (COTM Dec. '06) - RIP
    2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS

Rebuilding the XD CornbreadXD knows a lot about Elantras CornbreadXD's Avatar

man you should just order some Klasse, its REALLY good. I swear I won't use anything else if I don't have to. My car had a crazy finish after using a claybar and matching it with Klasse AIO and the glaze, it was smoooooooooth. And you can use it on your wheels, windows, lights, engine bay etc.
    http://www.autogeek.net/klasse.html?...FQlQWAodrARbgA
    Last edited by CornbreadXD; 03-02-2007 at 05:17 PM.
    87 Dodge Daytona Pacifica = Junkyard
    03 Hyundai Elantra XD = 8-30-07 R.I.P
    78 Datsun 280z = Resting
    03 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr = Driving
    03 Kawasaki Ninja 500 = Riding
    i bet my stock elantra will park you!

Full Member xxxmonoxidechil has not yet proved knowledgeable xxxmonoxidechil's Avatar

zymol and stoner are the only two cleaning products i use.

there also the only thing authorized to use on detailing BMW's at the dealerships, they dont allow anything else to be used.

i think that says alot in itself. (keep in mind bmw's are delivered in fully enclosed trailers also, there a car company that actually cares about there cars, and how there presented to there new owner.

Super Moderator hyunelan2 knows a lot about Elantras hyunelan2's Avatar

zymol is alright. I used it before on my Camaro. I still like Klasse AIO 10x better. http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/kla-16.html

2010 Equator Sport | 2002 Elantra GLS (sold) | 2003 Tiburon GT | 2004 Santa Fe GLS

Newbie quicksilverSE07 has not yet proved knowledgeable quicksilverSE07's Avatar

if you go to autogeek.net - you can use the "elantra" discount code to get 10% off. danase.com also has "professional" as a 10% off code.

personally ive recently been won over to poorboy's products - but like klasse - its impossible to find in stores.

i've heard good things about techwax and nanowax - both available over the counter at walmart and such. both could be used as a one shot deal - no multi step polish wax seal bit.
    2007 Elantra SE - QuickSilver

i wish dave would chime in here.

circuit track whore 2loud2k2xd has not yet proved knowledgeable 2loud2k2xd's Avatar

right here. little slow these days. lol

most all polishes have fine cutting agent in it to help eliminate swirl marks and fine scratches. using polishes ALL the time over a period of time WILL wear down the clear coat. but seeing how hyundai paint is not the greatest to begin with, i wouldnt do it (polish) more than 2x a year on our cars.

hyun-- that hand glaze is good stuff. hand glazes FILL in fine scratches and swirl marks. they are basically a filler of imperfections in the paint. then to be followed up by a quality paint sealant.

swirl marks look like spider webs when the sun shines on the paint. this is caused by drive thru car washes, using a dirty wash mit, washing/waxing outside and the wind blowing debris on the paint and you not knowing this still wash and wax you car. therefor scratching the paint. they are also caused by using bathtowels on the paint. this is a BIG no-no. might as well go thru a drive thru car wash.

drive thru carwashes are about as bad for your car as driving it with NO OIL!!!. picture this, going thru a car wash that uses recycled water, and you have a bunch of bristles or padded things hanging down beating your car clean.. think of the ghetto cruiser that just went thru there with all the rust and **** on his car. now all those bristles or padded things are now washing your car.

compounds these will remove most deep scratches and many other paint imperfections. scuffs, ect. using a polishing wheel with compounds are the best way to remove the problem.

polishes remove most fine scratches and swirl marks

hand glazes fill in fine scratches and swirl marks

paint sealants seal the paint better than waxes. they also offer a longer and better paint protection than waxes, carnuba's included.

waxes are ****!!!. most wash away in 2 to 3 washes. they also yellow over time. but they are simple to apply and remove.

we should schedule a chat time one night for all detailing questions. might be a bit more helpfull to some.
    Last edited by 2loud2k2xd; 03-02-2007 at 09:51 PM.
    click here for K-sport coilover deal
    http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14992

+ Reply to Thread