Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

How to fix hole in flex pipe?

17K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  highvoltz 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have a nasty hole in my flex pipe, right at the bottom where it must rub when I go over steep inclines. Its the weaved metal, not sure if you can weld this? Whats the best way to fix something like that? I was almost thinking of taking a beer can and wrapping it around and holding with some clamps... $950 for replacement of the whole pipe. yikes.

Thanks!!!

#2 ·
I imagine who ever told you that it would cost $950 ment for the whole exhaust. But you will need to buy a new flex pipe and have it welded on. It should cost around $75 for the new part and to have it welded on. If you buy the flexpipe from the person welding it make shure its the right size! My flexpipe broke and the bastards that did it welded on a smaller size. By the time i realized this it was too late :(.

#5 ·
Just get it cut out and replaced. I had to do this on my previous car and it cost me about $100-120 (but I'm in the NE where labor costs tend to be higher). However, the place I went was the same place that built my cat-back for the car and they did really good work.

#10 ·
The inside of the top cat is breaking apart.. no damage to the outside at all. I think they may have done something to it when they did the exhaust manifold recall, started loosing power shortly after. I found this out when I had the car in getting a hole fixed in the flex pipe that the dealer said was caused by a rock (car is lowered) When they had it on the lift they found that the hanger was broken, which caused the pipe to sag, which is why it hit the ground. Muffler shop fixed that, but thats when they noticed the front cat was falling apart from the inside. I'm going to try to go back to the dealer to get the front cat replaced, back is fine. I have a bag full up 1-2inch pieces that fell out when they had the pipe off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.