This is the best way to balance your aftermarket wheels!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: This is the best way to balance your aftermarket wheels!

Wink This is the best way to balance your aftermarket wheels!

This is the best way to get your aftermarket wheels balanced. Notice adhesive weights are only used behind the face of the rim, but a clip on weight is used on inside lip. This will give you a better balance than using adhesive weights on both sides and will 9/10 times will require less weight to balance the rim. The only problem with this way is if your rims are chrome, the clip on may start to peel your chrome. But this is the best way. This is also how manufactures will balance wheels at the factory for rims that are the same style that aftermarket wheels are. Doing just a static balance only half balances the rim. When you dynamically balance the rim like this, it will be both statically and dynamically balanced.

Pic taken from Scrooge's member file thread.
    Last edited by DJ Hellfire; 05-28-2007 at 10:16 AM.
    -ASE Certified Automotive Technician

Check out my 02 GLS:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Administrator rckozma has picked up a wrench rckozma's Avatar

Default Re: This is the best way to balance your aftermarket wheels!

Just make sure the shop that rebalances your rims doesn't use a screwdriver to remove the adhesive weights. I had that happen a couple of years ago and put deep scratches in my black rims - they replaced the rims.
    Member # 7: 2003 Carbon Blue GT

"If you want to kick the tiger in his ***, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth." - Tom Clancy

Only a Biker Knows Why a Dog Sticks His Head Out of a Car Window.

EXD Pro Member jalmir knows a lot about Elantras jalmir's Avatar

WTF??? they used a scredriver????

I would be SOOO mad if I see a shop do that on my wheels!!

And thx DJ for the info!
    Last edited by jalmir; 05-28-2007 at 10:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGLS View Post
    Two weeks without the internet and Sean is still the biggest piece of crap around.

I use a screwdriver, but I don't scrape the weight off. I dig the flathead right through the sticky material and just lift the weight off without gouging the rim. Then I just peel the weight off with my hand. Or I'll just grab the weight with the wheel weight hammer and just peel it off.

Check out my 02 GLS:

Administrator rckozma has picked up a wrench rckozma's Avatar

The place I take it to now uses a plastic squeegee (sp?) like the ones used to apply bondo. Even if you use a screwdriver, there is the right way and the wrong way, the shop I took it to first used the wrong way. My rims are black inside and out, so you can see the scratches very easily when they are scratched.
    Member # 7: 2003 Carbon Blue GT

"If you want to kick the tiger in his ***, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth." - Tom Clancy

Only a Biker Knows Why a Dog Sticks His Head Out of a Car Window.

KDM to JDM. Keyan can identify a wrench Keyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
    I use a screwdriver, but I don't scrape the weight off. I dig the flathead right through the sticky material and just lift the weight off without gouging the rim. Then I just peel the weight off with my hand. Or I'll just grab the weight with the wheel weight hammer and just peel it off.
    +1 I do it that way too.

But I don't use a hammer-on-weight, even though my rim is built for one. I use double stickies, with the outer-sticky as close to the edge of the rim where the hammer-on-weight would go. Seems to work out fine for me.

If there is anyone in the NJ-NY-PA area who wants their wheels balanced by me I'll gladly do it.
    MySpace/Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by someone on NJTuners.com
    never tell someone with a turbocharged elantra they cant do something
    Quote Originally Posted by OPZ View Post
    Keyan.

You are my ****ing hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyan View Post
    But I don't use a hammer-on-weight, even though my rim is built for one. I use double stickies, with the outer-sticky as close to the edge of the rim where the hammer-on-weight would go. Seems to work out fine for me.
    Yeah, that way definitely works too. Infact, most of the newer German wheels require you to do it this way since there is no lip on either side. But when balancing aftermarket wheels, the machine will most times ask for more weight when you set it to the double sticky setting than it would when you set it to the sticky/hammer on setting. Even if you put the stickies as close to the edge as possible, you'd still be putting on 1.5 oz of adhesives, whereas if you set to clip on, the machine may only ask for 1 oz or even .75 oz. That's what I was talking about. But either way works. It just seems that since they put that lip there, that they design the wheels to use sticky/bang on and it seems to balance in one spin without asking for additional weights.
    Last edited by DJ Hellfire; 05-28-2007 at 01:33 PM.

Check out my 02 GLS:

+ Reply to Thread