Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Cost to replace struts

52K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  DJ Hellfire 
#1 ·
My 2004 Elantra has 50,000 (easy) miles on it. Today I was informed that I need to replace my rear struts. He recommended replacing all four at a cost of 800 dollars? This quote was from an indepentant shop. Is this a good or bad deal?

#2 · (Edited)
well, you're looking at 220 maybe for KYB GR-2's, that makes 600$ for installing them (that is if they were going with KYB's, but I use that as a price guide)

Knowing that my KYB's were from California, you should be able to get a pretty good shipping quote on them yourself.

these ones look like a good deal...
http://cgi.ebay.ca/KYB-GR-2-STRUTS-...ryZ33590QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

go to a different shop and ask them what they charge to install them if you provide the struts! If it's 500 or less, you're getting a deal compared to the other shop. Although my guess is that it shouldn't be much more than 200 for labour by itself.

#3 ·
I paid $198.xx for 4 brand-new KYB GR2 struts from AJUSA.com. Installed myself, so I don't know the cost associated with that.

#4 · (Edited)
wow! $800 thats super expensive! first time and the last time i ever paid to have struts/shocks installed was 7 years ago at pepboys on a 98 mustang and the cost was about $350. I think they used monroe brand.

now 7 years later i do all the mechanical work myself. its very easy to install struts on our cars, there is even a DYI for noobs that is very easy to follow. http://www.elantraxd.com/DIY/sands.php

all you need is some non expensive tools, but if your afraid of doing it yourself then i would say buy the struts yourslelf ( http://www.ebay.com ) and hire a private mechanic that just wants to earn some cash on the side, they will charge you alot cheaper and they can always be found on a popular site called www.craigslist.org if your city/town is in their list.

Its alway better to do things yourself to gain experience.

#6 · (Edited)
its easy enough to do yourself with basic tools, PB blaster, and a set of spring compressors from an advance auto. I'll do it for half the price of a shop if you're interested, since I see you're in NJ. pm me if interested ;)

#7 ·
I was scared of the spring compressors too. Once I got one finished, it was no big deal. It's a TON easier if you have air/tools, or an electric impact to turn the spring compressors. It can be done with hand tools (a ratchet) but your arm gets quite the workout.

#9 ·
good point exsailor. all this cost could be avoided if you take it in under warranty. but the dealer will most likely claim there is nothing wrong probly cuz there isnt. have you noticed any difference in handling, does the car seem bouncier or looser in turns. sounds like alot of money to just hand to this shop without further inspection.

#11 ·
My 2004 Elantra has 50,000 (easy) miles on it. Today I was informed that I need to replace my rear struts. He recommended replacing all four at a cost of 800 dollars? This quote was from an indepentant shop. Is this a good or bad deal?
Who told you that, and why did they think they needed to be replaced? If the car handles fine, why replace them at all? If it's just "the guy at the shop", of course he'll change your struts if you let him.

They may be starting to go, but unless you have a major leak of the fluid I doubt they're all that bad.

#14 ·
On my 00, both rear struts are leaking oil out them, and the car is doing "the dance" over bumps. So they really need replacing. I have no time (or place) to work, so I HAVE to have it done for me. $800 for all 4 seems like a good deal depending on which struts they're putting on-both places I called by me quoted $1200, but wouldn't say which struts they use. Probably the cheapest ones they can get... I wanted to get my own KYBs for thiis but both shops refused to install parts I didn't buy from them... I wish I had a lift, tools, etc like so many of you dudes on here.

#15 ·
You don't need a lift to do a spring/strut change. Just jack up (and use jack stands) one corner at a time, change the parts and move onto the next corner. It can all be done with simple hand tools too (although air tools or an electric impact gun will make life easier/faster).

#16 ·
IIRC, it's 4 hours labor and an alignment. Even at our $95/hr thats only $380 in labor and buying your own sturts for $250 makes it out to be $630.

See, THIS is why I don't trust independant shops. They can get away with murder and then say "Well the dealer would cost more" and no one would question it.

#17 ·
Changing struts is fairly straight-forward. You can do it in a day easily. Soaking the endlinks in Blaster for a few days beforehand will ensure the nuts come right off.

I installed struts, lowering springs and strut mounts myself for about $550 for all the parts. The struts cost about $200 shipped, IIRC.

#18 ·
It's deff easy. Minus the fact we put the rear springs on the perch wrong, it was actually really easy. Just set aside a day to do it and have at it!

I need to replace the struts sometime soon and i'm not to concerned anymore, yay!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.