Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

2003 Elantra GT Stereo

13K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Ugzz 
#1 ·
Glad I found your site. Sweet!!!:bowdown:

Hyundai newbie looking for some advice:

Just bought my first Hyundai and love it! (2003 Elantra GT)

However, stereo is factory and in need of upgrade. Should I buy the Kenwood/Hyundai upgraded head-unit (Kenwood 00271-84000) for $100 and go from there, or go in a different direction? Will that unit fit into current head unit slot, and will the wiring harness be the same?

I plan to upgrade all speakers and install subs in hatch area. So if someone has been there and done that and has suggestions on speakers that will fit, and a sub unit that works well in the hatch area, I would very much appreciate it.

Blaine in Maryland

#2 ·
skip th hyundai branded kenwood. it wasnt great 5 years ago, isnt that great today.

as for everything else -
http://www.elantraxd.com/DIY/index.html

budgets are always needed for recommendations on car stereo stuff though.

#4 ·
^^True. Though the stock Kenwood sounded pretty good, it had a lot of problems electronically. Mine was replaced 3 times in 2 years then messed up again. Finally went to a JVC with a single Alpine sub and an amp w/ the stock speakers. Sounds great. Welcome aboard.

#5 ·
I think the main problem with the kenwood system was the head unit. I had speakers very similar (if not exactly the same) as the ones in the car and they sounded fine. Kenwood's Tweeter technology (that minimizes interfering frequencies) is quite good.

#6 ·
I got a Pioneer 3900 off of e-bay for $50. The sound is greatly improved, but the AM reception is quite where I want it to be. It fit just fine without any of the spacers and was easy to install.

Basically I would suggest going with an aftermarket head-unit, but be aware that it will make it more likely for you car to be broken into. How much depends on where you live and where you park the car.

#10 ·
Normally you can't use the factory harness unless you cut it off and wire it up directly to the hu. Which is ok if you don't ever plan on taking the hu out. Well there is the fact that you have to do the wiring in the restricted space that the factory harness provides.

I bought a harness from Best Buy, since it was about the same by the time I would have paid for the part plus shipping on e-bay.

I don't have an install kit, but I think it looks ok. That probably depend on the hu though. I've seen some that don't look good, i.e. gaps you can see through.

#11 ·
Used a harness adapter for both Pioneers. Neither one needed an install kit. Just a little patience in installing it to line everything up correctly.

#13 ·
ya we lucked out our cars are standard 1 or 2 din stereos just grab a harness and a headunit and have at it. takes like half an hour and a little solder and elctrical tape to get things up and running. ive had good luck so far with my Kenwood KDC-MP235 being able to use mp3 cds and have folders and 200 songs is great. even has a solid preamp out for subs with a adjustable crossover and volume control. with the harness the the headunit i only spent 100.

#14 ·
Blaine,

Do you still have the Elantra? I have a sub in the hatch and an amp mounted to the rear of the back seat. My ? is, what size speakers are in the rear of the car?

I'm in Berkeley Springs.....not far from you.

Thanks

#15 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.