Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Throwing code p0032

16K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  SilverElantra 
#1 ·
P0032 Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) 1, bank 1, heater control – circuit high Wiring short to positive, HO2S, ECM

I used to have p0038 due to my second o2 sensor residing in my glovebox, but I extended the wires last night. I've had this for a week and don't seem to be having any success...any idea whether this is
1. Wiring problem
2. o2 sensor failure
3. gremlin
4. User error?

#3 ·
^ what are you talking about??? you could use a roll of solder and it wouldnt change the amount of voltage going to it. the wire itself is where the resistance is...

back to the problem at hand.

replace the front 02 sensor, or you ****ed up the wiring....its only four wires though....

#4 ·
Its been fine for the last year and than all of sudden last week it started throwing this code, thats why I'm confused.

I wasn't the one who extended the wiring on this o2 sensor though...in fact Derek, I think you were present when that header went in last year...

#5 · (Edited)
Then it could be that the wiring extension is loose, or that the sensor is finally going bad. The two white wires (I think they're white -- whichever two are the same color) are the wiring for the heater in the sensor. There should be some resistance across those two plugs on the O2 sensor. If there's no continuity between the two white wires on the sensor, then the heater is burned out.

I'd make sure you have continuity for each wire to both sides of the extension wiring, too.

That's about the limit of my diagnosing suggestions, short of getting a new O2 sensor, installing it and seeing if the code clears.

#6 ·
The set of wires for the heating element should show battery voltage with the key on. The other set is the signal going back to the ECM and is usually very low voltage. Most I believe use 1.0 volt as the center position. That means with the car running the meter should show above and below 1.0 every couple of seconds for NO CODE. If it just shows 1.2 volts or more all the time then it is stuck high--new sensor needed.

#8 ·
I had the same problem 2 weeks ago (P0032 Heated oxygen sensor). I stopped by my mechanic and he cleared and said it wasn't anything to worry about but to keep an eye on it and let him know. Well 2 days later it returned so i let him know but i couldn't make it back to the shop. A day after that, it cleared all by itself and has not come back. This happened during some really cold weather, not sure if that has anything to do with it. Just hoping it stays off.

#12 · (Edited)
Right than, I'll pick up an o2 sensor tomorrow and hopefully have time on Sunday to wire it in.

SWEET! Wasn't the O2 sensor after all, but a wire that got ripped/broken somehow. Saves me quite a few $$$. And no CEL for my headers altogether now. WOOT!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.