Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Panic Alarm going off by itself

38K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ANeudecker 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 Hyundai Elantra.

I did not add an alarm system, so the only alarm is the panic alarm.

Almost from the start, the panic alarm will go off by itself, and using panic button on the remote will not turn it off. You have to unlock the doors with the remote to do so. However, as soon as you press the lock button, it will go off again. This can go on through 10 cycles or more.

I can't turn it off like I can with a true alarm system - or can I?

Is there any way to avoid the panic alarm going off?

#2 · (Edited)
Check the hood switch. Basically the car thinks someone is trying to break into it. It's not just a panic alarm, the car will sound the alarm if it is locked with the remote (which arms the alarm) and something opens.

There is a switch for each door, the hood, and the trunk. If it were a door switch, your dome light would be on. If it were the trunk switch, you'd see the trunk light on the dash. So, that leaves the hood switch. It's pretty common actually.

Replacement pad for the switch is less than $3. More info: http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27344&highlight=hood+switch

#4 ·
Yes. The alarm can only be armed/disarmed by the remote. So, if you arm it with the remote, then unlock the door with the key, it will not be disarmed. The car things someone may have just broken the window and unlocked the door to get in. It's a very simple alarm system.

#8 ·
I have a similar problem with a 2007 Elantra. We have taken it to a local garage and they saw the Bulletin and replaced the hood bumper. Still went off. Took it to the dealership twice and they say they can not help until it goes off while there and of course it never went off over 5 days. We have replaced the battery. It went off twice today again! No dome light and the only lights on the dashboard were the flashers. I am getting frustrated. What is the design? Have asked how to just disable the alarm and get told they can't do that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.