Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Loud Popping sound!!!

13K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  Pete03GLS 
#1 ·
It started making a poping noise when I turn my car left only. It only did it a few times but now every time I only turn left It make a "pop" noise. It kind of sounds like a motor mount or bearing not for sure. What steps should I go thought to eliminate whats making the noise, o and by the way I'm going on a 500mile drive in 2 days. Think it can make it?

#4 ·
Re: Loud Poping sound!!!

^ Agreed.

To check the ball joint, lift the car on jack stand(s). Then use a pole or pry bar, placing it under the tire. Lift the bar upwards and watch the ball joint. If there is more than a 1/4" of play (which is actually way too much anyway), you've got a problem there. If it is tight, no play, then it could be other things.

Inner/Outer tie rod, CV Axle, etc. CV axles tend to make clicking noises though, not popping. So like ricer said, it's probably your ball joint.

#5 ·
Re: Loud Poping sound!!!

Ball joint was also my first thought when I saw the title.

#16 ·
I had what started as a popping sound when making a left, then after not getting it fixed it turned into a constant popping when turning. i ended up needing both the cv and ball joint. once they were fixed in the long run (months later) iended up needing a new axle as well..
that was in my sable, which i had wrecked not long before. after that endever it started spitting axles every month or so, so i traded it in for 1000$ and got the elantra :D

#20 ·
When dealing with steering components on a FWD car, basically, one system affects another, and affects another. Letting whatever the problem may be go for too long, and you run into other parts, that by picking up the "slack", led to premature failure as well.

But depending on mileage, it's always good to get new fresh stuff installed anyway, like struts every 60k miles, etc. Whatever the issue is with your car, I would suggest replacing everything, kind of. If it's the CV axle, replace the axle, and the BJ, and have everything else checked out as well. This way everything is brand new and will wear "evenly".

#21 ·
ALSO! I was having a popping noise for a while.
When i would turn left (u turns) i would hear it, or if i turned in reverse then when i drove straight it would pop.
Some times it would pop once and sometimes it would pop three or for times.
It wasnt the CV or anything of that sort, it was just the body mounts. The dealership told me this, midas, and a few more mechanics told me the same thing.
CV would be a constant popping while turning and popping would speed up as you accelerate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.