Cut off Stereo Wiring Harness
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cut off Stereo Wiring Harness

Junior Member sephiro499 has not yet proved knowledgeable

Exclamation Cut off Stereo Wiring Harness

Ok so about 3 years ago when I first bought my car I decided to upgrade the stereo system. The wiring harness was a bit difficult to find so in all my wisdom I decided to cut the wiring harness off and wire to piece by piece. That was a huge mistake. I drove around for about a week with no interior lighting or blinker usage. Finally broke down and took my car to a professional who wired it wire by wire.

Want to upgrade headunit myself. Where can I find a wiring diagram of the speaker system on a 01 Elantra?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

12V fanatic southpawboston has not yet proved knowledgeable southpawboston's Avatar

Default Re: Cut off Stereo Wiring Harness

you can go to hmaservice.com but you will have to do a lot of deciphering. i have a pic i took off of there and added the names of the wire colors next to each pin description:

the problem you will have is that there are several wires that use the same color, and without the plug on the end to distinguish them, you will have to be very careful in determining which is which. so BE CAREFUL. notice there are several black, orange, and yellow wires. one yellow wire is ACC power and the other is a speaker wire. you can damage things royally if you choose the wrong wires. best thing is to use a multimeter to determine which wires of the same color do what.
    Last edited by southpawboston; 09-16-2004 at 09:06 AM.
    2006 Mazda3 S Touring 5-dr

Newbie.....Again CarbonGT has not yet proved knowledgeable CarbonGT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sephiro499
    Ok so about 3 years ago when I first bought my car I decided to upgrade the stereo system. The wiring harness was a bit difficult to find so in all my wisdom I decided to cut the wiring harness off and wire to piece by piece. That was a huge mistake. I drove around for about a week with no interior lighting or blinker usage. Finally broke down and took my car to a professional who wired it wire by wire.

Want to upgrade headunit myself. Where can I find a wiring diagram of the speaker system on a 01 Elantra?
    i did the same thing right after i got my car i couldent find a harness conector and i had everthing reddy to install so i just cut it off. but i didint have any problems like u did with anything not working afterwords. If i ever want to put the stock plyer back in i dont know how im gonna do it.
    Jvc kd-sh707 mp3 deck Infinity kappa 6.5 3 ways
    MB Quart 6.5 components up front w/ coustic amp
    Coustic Class d monoblock sub amp
    JVC warren G series 12" DVC 1000W sub
    Bosch Platinum 4 plugs
    K&N Tint all around Tibby peddles
    Tibby rear sway bar and end links poly bushings

12V fanatic southpawboston has not yet proved knowledgeable southpawboston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CarbonGT
    If i ever want to put the stock plyer back in i dont know how im gonna do it.
    most suppliers of aftermarket stereo harnesses also make the reverse harness (the one that plugs into the stereo), making your cut harness essentially stock again. i know that you can get one from installer.com for $14. part # 71-7301.
    2006 Mazda3 S Touring 5-dr

Junior Member sephiro499 has not yet proved knowledgeable

Luckily after I had my stereo installed everything was back to normal. Thanks alot for that reverse harness SouthPaw. Looks like that would make it a little bit easier trying to install a new stereo(beats the 80 bucks for an install).

I got a adapter that plugs into the factory audio harness and into the stereo unit. This makes life much easier. If I decide to change decks, that is an easier swap. Using the factory deck later is just as easy as plugging everything in.

"Childhood is measured by sounds and smells and sights before the dark hour of reason grows"John Betjeman

I too cut my stock harness out before I knew anything about installing. I had to take the car to Best Buy and I threw one of the guys $20 bucks to wire it up for me. But luckily, I kept the stock harness in the armrest compartment for some reason. So when I learned how to wire up systems and radios, I was able to put my stock harness back together and bought the conversion harness that just plugs right into it when I upgraded to a better aftermarket radio. So now if I ever change radios again, I don't have to figure out what's what!
    -ASE Certified Automotive Technician

Check out my 02 GLS:

+ Reply to Thread