Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Valve adjustment

40K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Power of Dreams 
#1 · (Edited)
I have an '03 GK I4 5-speed with 50,100 miles on it.

Recently, I've noticed a ticking noise coming from the engine --- from what I can discern, immediately under the valve cover. Its frequency is engine-speed dependent. The noise does not disappear when clutch is disengaged (by pressing clutch pedal; this likely eliminates clutch release bearing as the cause).

I know Hyundai prescribes a valve adjustment at 60k if I am not mistaken. I've already performed a timing belt service on my GK.

How loud and pronounced can the valves be if the prescribed valve adjustment has not occurred?

I guess I'm just trying to determine what exactly is making the noise and the probability that it is the valves before I get my hands dirty.

#3 ·
not the injectors? i found mine to be quite noisy toward the end of my 1st xd's life

#4 ·
beta1's have Hydrolic valvetrain which DOESNT need adjustment

however

beta2's have MECHANICAL lifters which can be and do need to be adjusted. infact i need a valve job done on mine aswell its something i was gonna try to get done over the summer

#5 ·
I'm at 130k and I have the ticking you're talking about. Its fairly annoying I think. Reece (arunsenior) also has the noise and is at high mileage. I plan to do a VCA but in order to do that I have to find time.

#11 ·
Mine has 58k and valve ticking. Very annoying, but not enough of a problem for me to spend any money on it right now.

I assumed all new cars used hydraulic lifters. It's good to know they're not; at least I won't have that thought in the back of my head now... "maybe my hydraulic lifters are bad".

#13 ·
Not really, I know most, a lot of toyotas require valve adjustment. Not too sure about the new motors (the new 3.5l and such), but I do know the older ones required that.

#15 ·
I would like to know what exactly your going to adjust on the valve. thats a prty big project figuring that the valves are in the head. if you take the valve cover of off you will see the cams, lifters and springs, the valves themselves are in the head. so what is there really to adjust.

#16 ·
there is a special tool that makes it effortless...the pain is finding the right size shim.

you have to use feeler gauges and check your clearences....

lets also remember that solid lifters are noisy period...some tick is going to be there no matter what...again if i reduces itself after fifteen minutes of idling or by simply driving...its not necessary to put new shims in....and there is a TSB for a ticking in the motor due to aftermarket oil filters. that too may be the problem.

#22 ·
I'd guess the timing belt being too tight for the whine. Mines a tad right right now and I need to loosen it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.