Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

How hard it is it replace struts?

39K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  BobMs_wht2k2 
#1 ·
I understand that worn struts make it harder for car to stop. Are they easy to replace. I'm all about stopping power. I plan to redo my brake system in June.

#2 ·
are your struts actually bad or are you just going to replace them for hte hell of it? I understand if you want to replace them if you were lowering your car, but if you're not then whats the point if they are still fine.

#7 ·
struts are very easy, with the right tools for someone experienced enough, it could take maybe 1hr to swap them out real fast.

we have a step by step do it yourself on the DIY SECTION on top, check it out.

#8 ·
Ford Focus in the shop yesterday with 130 on it and its struts were S***. So it may be time to do yours. BOB

#10 ·
I'm sure he doesn't know about TX either, but he might know a little about TN.

The Accent still has it's rear originals. 146k. You Canadiavillelandtuckians get screwed every whcih way. 80k km? That's every 50k miles. Are they nuts? What a ripoff.

And agreed with the other advice, BACK OFF. Worn struts might increase your stopping distance 10 ft. But being an idiot and being that close the best struts in the world will not save you.

#11 ·
I replaced mine on my old Eclipse and it was not that hard. The hardest part was getting everything off. Unless they were replaced before, the bolts you have to remove have been on the car since it was put thogether.

Lots of giant rachets, breaker bars, and WD-40. You will also need a spring compressor. It took me and another guy about 3 hours to do.

#12 ·
Here is the DIY. http://www.elantraxd.com/DIY/sands.php

If all you're doing is changing struts, obviously you won't replace the springs. Just take off and put the same ones back on. If you've ever even 1/2 considered getting springs, NOW would be the optimum time to do so.

#17 ·
You know, you're rthe first person to catch that. :D

#18 ·
I've never folowed too close, but one time I was in a hurry and changed lanes, and traffic in ther other lane was at a dead stop on a four lane interstate. 10ft would have saved me alot. Heck, I could have used just 5 more feet. I stay at least 4 seconds behind cars now and I don't shift lanes in a hurry.

#19 ·
Then you've solved your "problem".

#20 ·
It's actually pretty simple to change struts. It helps a lot if you use air tools, 'cause using hand tools took me about one hour per strut.

#23 ·
Then compressing the spring, pulling the mount and upper bearing plate, swapping over the rubber insulators, eraligning up the m-f'ing upper plate and mount, getting the spring to seat correctly and then reinstalling the 5-6 bolts, yes. An hour on the floor with no lift per corner is about right. SOrry we can't be as perfect as you Felix.

I've done 4 suspensions (on Elantras) and about 2-3 hours is normal without lifts.

#22 ·
to answer your question with a question:

can you open a beer? if so, you can do this.

while changing the struts, i would suggest getting either eibach or hr springs and put them on there before puting the struts on the car. that way you will have a lower stance (than stock) and better "grip" feel on the road with a lower center of gravity.

time of changing struts:
air tools: 2 beers and a cig
hand tools: 4 beers and 3 cigs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.