straight pipes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: straight pipes

faster than a honduh plagued89 has not yet proved knowledgeable

Default straight pipes

im thinking of just running a straight pipe and dump for my exhaust setup, since florida has no cat laws or emmision testing and it sounds good and not to ricey, or just a mufler delete, prolly 2.5 or 2 and a quarter, what do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

A.K.A. ItalianSausage SilverElantra knows about Elantras SilverElantra's Avatar

Default Re: straight pipes

2.25 would sound raspy, like mine, just giving you that warning.

2003 Elantra Owner smileymattj knows about Elantras smileymattj's Avatar
    North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, United States

I have 2.25 from the cat and it sounds good. But mines not the usual setup, Most people go for the Muffler/Tip exhaust. My muffler is in front of the rear wheels under the car. Then it Y's out to 2 - 4" dia x 22" long slanted chrome tips.

smileymattj's Garage
    I am not responsible if your car blows up, use common sense and proper safety precautions.

well im actually removing the exhaust resonator and welding a pipe in place of it, so ill still be running stock headers, both stock cats, stock piping, and stock muffler. so hopefully it wont sound too bad, if it does, ill jus reweld the resonator back on :/
    only thing not stock is my sri which sounds deep and im jus hoping it follows threw the exhaust

no its very mild that way.

okay thats for the info, ill have to run just headers and 2 cats no resonator till i can get to a shop or get a buddy with a wlder to weld teh piping, so itll sound dumb of course for a day or two.

i wanted to go straight pipe too... but id prolly end up throwin a muffler on anyways.

Kinky Kelly 2003GT has not yet proved knowledgeable 2003GT's Avatar

Smiley any picks of those tips on the car.
    FaceBook Me!!! IM: MrDeere1982 Subs, CAI, Pioneer HU, Blue interior lights, Xeon High Beams, HID 6000K Lows, 3000K Fogs, Clear Door Lenses with Multi Color LED's, Muffler Delete and Tinted Windows. BOB

Quote Originally Posted by smileymattj View Post
    Bob is right.
    wow did i just really say that?

Newbie blackhatch has not yet proved knowledgeable

on my car i have stock header , gutted that cat and in place of second cat is 2.5 piping all the way back and no muffler. its super loud!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete03GLS View Post
    i wanted to go straight pipe too... but id prolly end up throwin a muffler on anyways.
    yeah i dont want to to sound bad so im waiting till monday to cut my resonator off and having a shop weld a straight pipe in place of it,

2003 Elantra Owner smileymattj knows about Elantras smileymattj's Avatar
    North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, United States

yea its in my brand new album, i can take a pick of it where you can see the whole thing now cus the bumper is off, lol.

smileymattj's Garage
    I am not responsible if your car blows up, use common sense and proper safety precautions.

Junior Member slipkknotfan has not yet proved knowledgeable slipkknotfan's Avatar

what if you hollow out the (i guess its a resonator) either right before the flex pipe or right after it. its the one right before where the cat back gets bolted to theexhaust. ive been thinking of doing this since i got my cat back exhaust.

has anyone done this? and if so how does it sound?

Quote Originally Posted by slipkknotfan View Post
    what if you hollow out the (i guess its a resonator) either right before the flex pipe or right after it. its the one right before where the cat back gets bolted to theexhaust. ive been thinking of doing this since i got my cat back exhaust.

has anyone done this? and if so how does it sound?
    not many newer cars contain teh stuffing stuff thats in mufflers/resonators, a resonator is basically allowing the waves fo exhaust to enter and it boucnes back meeting another wave cutting thr exiting wave in half, which reduces sound. and air flow presumably. im just welding a pipe in place of the resonator.

the thing further back is a second cat, i think that's what your talking about, and hallowed out it makes the car sounds mean as hell with the resonator off.

Kinky Kelly 2003GT has not yet proved knowledgeable 2003GT's Avatar

What about just taking the second cat out, or does the empty shell help with resonance. Also Smiley those tips look like they should be on the back of a Pickup truck. I kind like them though. I am sure they sounded mean.
    FaceBook Me!!! IM: MrDeere1982 Subs, CAI, Pioneer HU, Blue interior lights, Xeon High Beams, HID 6000K Lows, 3000K Fogs, Clear Door Lenses with Multi Color LED's, Muffler Delete and Tinted Windows. BOB

Bob is right.
    wow did i just really say that?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverElantra View Post
    the thing further back is a second cat, i think that's what your talking about, and hallowed out it makes the car sounds mean as hell with the resonator off.
    no the second cat is right after the header bolts to the exhaust and the resonator is jus after it, its about a foot long and its about an inch more wided than the exhaust pipe.

no need to hollow out the cats though, i think newer cars are already hi flow. so doing that would only really hurt it other than for sound.

see this link http://www.kwik-fit.com/assets/jpg/g...work_large.jpg
    the resonator is the "centre section" or midle silencer, which just reduces exhaust flow noise.

also that is NOT our exhuast system, thats just a random google image search
    Last edited by plagued89; 08-07-2008 at 12:40 PM.

EXD Pro Member silversharkXD2 knows a lot about Elantras silversharkXD2's Avatar

yea its in my brand new album, i can take a pick of it where you can see the whole thing now cus the bumper is off, lol.

what kit is that?
    If you want an OEM look, stop modding your car

If you disagree with soemone, just call them a troll. It validates all your opinions.
    www.hyundaimotorclub.com - www.facebook.com/groups/hyundaimotorclub.com

Super Moderator Cypher knows a lot about Elantras Cypher's Avatar

^if you looked at his album... you'd know its the evo
    2002 Hyundai Elantra: Sold
    1991 Nissan 240sx Hatch SR Swapped: Sold
    1992 Toyota MR2: Sold
    1991 Nissan 240sx Coupe: Future KA-T
    1999 Hyundai Tiburon: Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by plagued89 View Post
    no the second cat is right after the header bolts to the exhaust and the resonator is jus after it, its about a foot long and its about an inch more wided than the exhaust pipe.

no need to hollow out the cats though, i think newer cars are already hi flow. so doing that would only really hurt it other than for sound.

see this link http://www.kwik-fit.com/assets/jpg/g...work_large.jpg
    the resonator is the "centre section" or midle silencer, which just reduces exhaust flow noise.

also that is NOT our exhuast system, thats just a random google image search
    Heh that's funny its not a high flow cat and does benefit if you hallow it out, just make sure you hallow it out all the way cause i didn't and used to shoot fireballs of loose cat out the end. but yes it goes cat on the manifold, then another cat further down, then the resonator.

Avante2nr Elantra87 has picked up a wrench Elantra87's Avatar

stiaight pipe is going to sound like bumble bees in a metal trash can extremely loud,i had it running like that for awhile and got tired of it, i added a magnaflow cat and i gained back my backpressure. and sounds deeper

+ Reply to Thread