Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Sound deadening thread

34K views 190 replies 22 participants last post by  mkjh 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok so i've been putting sound deadner in the XD and just wanted to post some pics of the progress, im currently using several products.
Second Skin Damplifier <38sq ft so far>
Foil Tape
Butyl Backed Foil Tape
Second Skin Spectrum Liquid Deadener <30sq ft so far>
1/8" thick Frost King Duct Insulation
1/4" thick foam weatherstripping
(3.5 yr old) eDead v1 <3sq ft>

I still have a whole lot to do and am waiting for a new shipment of damplifier to come in so i can do the headliner and the back doors and other misc. areas.

See less See more
#86 ·
Mine did that with FACTORY SPEAKERS AND HU. Mine shake like a Mother now with the Subs. It sucks because no my eyes do too. I try to read street signs and they are in and out of Focus every time the sub hits.

#88 · (Edited)
wait, how much time or how much money? cause i don't know the time because the olympics,work,and school slowed me down. but for money so far like $340+

#90 ·
mine too my rearview showed blurs, but my bass hits so hard it makes my airbag pop out, im gonna have to dynamat my windshield

#91 ·
You're such an asshole! Way to bring it back! You have the baddest *** system on EXD! I heard, it's so loud, it dented your hood and exploded your headlight too. It scares me just talking about it.

#95 ·
actually when i took it to the bodyshop the guys were surprised and the tow truck driver was shocked too, they've never seen so much deadner in a car in person i guess. I didn't have my door panels off but the trunk and backseat were visble. The shop guys kept asking me if I competed in db drags, "I just don't want noise tickets"

#101 ·
Here are the pic updates(can this post be automerged?)
The headliner was a PIECE OF CAKE!! FIRST TIME EVER IN MODDING! It's WAAAAAYYYY easier to remove the sunroof headliner than it is for the non sunroof and the use of velcro by Hyundai is genius

Reactions: Ugzz
#102 ·
So, how much more does your car weigh now that you've added all of this? Curious to know if you know how much you've added to the car. Not that it matters to you, as I know you don't race your car. I'm wondering also how much quieter your car will be on the inside...there should be virtually NO road noise now, except for the little bit through windows and the sunroof.

#103 ·
Deadener really isnt all that heavy.

Even the heaviest duty stuff is about .5lb /sqft. So even with the heaviest stuff, using 200sqft, which is WAY overkill, more than enough to do every surface at least 2 layers thick, you'd only add 100lbs and it would be evenly spread across the entire car.

Stuff i used was about .4lb/sqft, and i used maybe 40-50sq ft and it was enough to do inner and outer door skins, 2layers thick, on all of the doors.

#104 ·
+1 Tommy, and I will be racing my car on the auto-x courses. The stuff really doesn't add too much weight because like I've said many times I weigh less than 150lbs myself so adding an extra 100lbs to the car is nothing really but i'd say i've added maybe 50lbs I've used about 80sqft of the foil stuff and 25sqft of the liquid which is only 6lbs when cured.

I still want to spray my fenders with the liquid stuff and spray the doors to cover the foil. I also am gonna get some more foam to put under the backseat and the trunk so that'll be another 10lbs

#105 ·
That's right, I forgot how much of a light weight you are, my bad. And even if you did add 100 lbs, it's not going to affect you that much other than losing another tenth of a second, but that's in a straight line...hell, you've probably made the car much stiffer by doing this, so that'll help you out a bit.

I bet your audio is going to sound sick!!!

#106 ·
I'll try to get a video of it tommrow because it is insane how much of a difference in the sound level in the car is compared to outside, when I open the door it's like music vomits out of the car and I haven't put the interior pieces back in so hopefully that'll keep more sound inside.

Reactions: BColeman
#109 ·
I'll try to get a video of it tommrow because it is insane how much of a difference in the sound level in the car is compared to outside, when I open the door it's like music vomits out of the car and I haven't put the interior pieces back in so hopefully that'll keep more sound inside.
Dude, that line is worth rep...I hope I can give you some...I've never heard it put that way before. Definitely get some vids of you driving around, and then some of you playing music loud inside the car with the doors closed (you on the outside) and then open the door so I can hear the "vomiting".

#107 ·
I just love banging on the door and it sounding like youre hitting wood. Slam the door and its like a Benz.

Did you cover the door panels, and other plastics with foam? If you really want sound deading, you have to do that as well. Sound deadeners work 2 ways. 1 - the mat makes the panel phyisically harder to move, so less vibrations, less noise. 2 - you need something to absorb and slow the sound waves that do occur. that's what the foam is for.

#108 · (Edited)
I'm thinking of spraying the liquid deadner on the interior panels after I scuff them with a scotchbrite pad so it sticks and then slapping the foam on, I'm still debating whether to do the floor because the foam underneath is kinda thick already and I might have an issue with putting the carpet back in. I may just cut some out of my old car and bulk the area around the shifter.

So far I've reusued the old headliner pads from my gls, the poly stuff that was behind the dooor panles and that pad that was under the rear deck to add more OEM insulation to the car

#110 ·
The liquid deadener is just another massloader like the mat. To get the full effect, you need a massloader and an absorber.

go to the fabric store and buy some sheets of like 1/4" inch poly foam and some spray glue. the sheets will be sold as like seat cushions or something like that.

#111 · (Edited)
yeah, I bought foam last year and still have some left over, i've read about people dunking the foam in the liquid to get some results, but the other stuff im gonna buy is 3/8" thick

#112 ·
3/8ths is pretty thick. Might be hard to get panels to fit right afterwords.

#113 ·
oops, I meant the 3/8" stuff is what is going under my backseats and trunk, the 1/4" foam I am gonna glue to the plastic. I bought it off of a lab teacher on ebay 35sqft for like $14 crappy pic in post #70

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.