Ahh crap, I used ATF-4 instead of Dexron III?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ahh crap, I used ATF-4 instead of Dexron III?

Senior Member Poopsicle can identify a wrench

Default Ahh crap, I used ATF-4 instead of Dexron III?

I got confused at auto zone a couple months ago and instead of buying Dexron III compatible fluid, I bought ATF+4 on accident. I flushed out my friend's Elantra's power steering system. He has been driving for 30,000 miles on it so far. Is there a big difference between ATF and Dexron? I'm kind of nervous now because he moved to L.A. Can't believe I just caught this mistake last night while reviewing the boards here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Not a n00b slyderdai knows about Elantras slyderdai's Avatar
    when Life gives you Lemons....Just add Vodka.

Default Re: Ahh crap, I used ATF-4 instead of Dexron III?

Quote Originally Posted by Poopsicle View Post
    I got confused at auto zone a couple months ago and instead of buying Dexron III compatible fluid, I bought ATF+4 on accident. I flushed out my friend's Elantra's power steering system. He has been driving for 30,000 miles on it so far. Is there a big difference between ATF and Dexron? I'm kind of nervous now because he moved to L.A. Can't believe I just caught this mistake last night while reviewing the boards here.
    It's not as devastating as if you put EITHER of those in his Transmission. PS isn't that vital and doesn't really have anything to do with the performance of the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZIECRACKER View Post
    no buzzed does not count. u need to start a buzzed thread. this is the drunk thread please stay on topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Munky View Post
    Your banning : Sponsored by EXD.

Senior Member Poopsicle can identify a wrench

Quote Originally Posted by slyderdai View Post
    It's not as devastating as if you put EITHER of those in his Transmission. PS isn't that vital and doesn't really have anything to do with the performance of the car.
    But will it hurt? I mean, they're both hydraulic type fluids.

You might not have a problem, but you could. I have replaced transmissions with either ATF+III/IV and DexronIII/Mercon fluid in them. Not yet seen a power steering system fail with the wrong fluid.
    Last edited by cclngthr; 12-18-2008 at 06:37 PM.

"Childhood is measured by sounds and smells and sights before the dark hour of reason grows"John Betjeman

Ultimate Post Whore cbogg knows a lot about Elantras cbogg's Avatar

yeah, there's no clutches or many plastic important parts in the steering system. unless you have something european that requires one of those funky mineral based fluids, you're fine. with these style systems it matters more that it has clean fluid, regardless of what it is, it should be just fine.
    From AIM:
    Me: I get a day off during the week next week, woot!
    Derek: ooooh during the week? lucky you. I'd kill someone in front of their own mother for a day off during the week.

+ Reply to Thread