Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

H11b crap don't buy that sht H11 work

54K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  RedPhive 
#1 ·
I changed my lights out a couple months ago but just to tell the people who want to change the light color that H11's do fit. The 11bs are just to make you buy certain brands. All you need is a little modification. First, when you get the h11 bulb, you need to cut off the black piece near the connector, that protects the two male outlets. Then you just cut off the tip of the black piece where the screw is ment to sit (end piece sticks out) near the wires that run to your headlights. It's simple and easy; takes roughly 5-10 minutes for both. Btw use electrical tape afterwards just to make sure, bt no biggie. Just make sure you want to do this and good luck

#6 ·
A lot of people may not want to modify the housing though. Also, some dealers will not warranty the headlight housing or the headlight bulbs, which are often warranted under the 5/60K B2B warranty.

#7 ·
Are the housings consistant by bulb? In other words - if I went to a junkyard could I find the housing without the tabs (IE the 4th picture in Munky's link) in another headlamp that uses normal H11 bulbs?

This way you could just switch them out and save the old one if you ever need to go back to the way it was off of the factory line.

Also, do you think that anybody would be interesting in doing a little bit of a more thorough DIY on this? Or is there one already?

#13 ·
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I will be buying a Touring soon and had a question about the H11b bulb it uses. I will want to switch out the standard halogen for something like a silverstar, but obviously this is only available in the H11 size. I just wanted to get clarification with someone who has experience with the topic. Is it just a slight modification to the h11b bulb to get it to fit the elantra's harness, or must I modify the harness as well? Thanks ahead of time for your answers.

#15 ·
However, the Elantra, regardless of year does have a problem of blowing Silverstar bulbs quickly, the HD/FD among them (because the light power switch runs through the ignition switch). Some people (Bob being one) prefers to keep the stock bulb; it produces a brighter light that reflects the pavement surface better.

It might be better on such a new car to keep the factory lights in while the warranty is in effect, to avoid potential problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.