Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

2011 Elantra Spotted - Spy Pics & Info!

[MD/UD] 
94K views 117 replies 36 participants last post by  SombreNoirceur 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#43 ·
Re: 2011 Elantra Spotted - Spy Pics!

Because Hyundai knows it wouldn't sell. Sure it would sell some, but not the volume that Hyundai would want.

But, because a 2.0t Elantra wouldn't directly compete with the 2.0t Genesis Coupe I suppose it's possible. Three different engine options would be something Hyundai has never done as far as I know though (at least over here in Americaland).

#53 ·

How about a 4 wheel drive Elantra, then it could compete with Subaru Impreza ( it has a larger engine though at 2.5 L ) ? However this year in Toronto I am managing just fine with my 2006 Elantra because we have had NO SNOW so far . Lot's of snow north of us but nothing here in Toronto. Of course I don''t know how much longer this will last though.

#55 ·

Peter, Hyundai recently spoke about plans to bring AWD to the Genesis Coupe during it's next update (probably two years out). It's unlikely that they'd offer AWD in a compact family commuter vehicle like the Elantra though. It's just not cost effective, there aren't enough people that would buy them to justify the extra cost of building some with it. However things could change over the next couple years. Hyundai seems to be opening up a bit to owner suggestions with sites like Hyundai Think Tank.

#58 ·

Peter, Hyundai has been using those Roman (or is that Greek) names for many of their engines.

Alpha (Excels, Accents)
Beta (Elantras, Tiburons)
Delta (Tiburons, Tuscons, Santa Fes, Sonatas)
Theta (Genesis Coupes, Sonatas, Santa Fes)
Lambda (Sonatas, Azeras, Santa Fes)
Tau (Genesis)

And others.

#59 ·
#62 ·

a 1.6 GDI engine would give it about the same power as the current model, but with likely 10-15% better gas mileage. The turbo option would put it in the 170hp range, with still 30+mpg

replacement for displacement is technology.

#63 ·

a 1.6 GDI engine would give it about the same power as the current model, but with likely 10-15% better gas mileage. The turbo option would put it in the 170hp range, with still 30+mpg

replacement for displacement is technology.
What exactly does " GDI " stand for ? The " D " doesn't stand for diesel does it ? How is this smaller sized engine putting out the same power as the 2.0 L engine ?

#64 ·

its called technology.

and no, its not a diesel. although that would be nice, wont happen here anytime soon.

#68 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.