This is what happens when you don't change your timing belt regularly.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: This is what happens when you don't change your timing belt regularly.

Default This is what happens when you don't change your timing belt regularly.

I am repairing my brothers car which quit on him because the timing belt stripped/broke. He got the car and did not change the timing belt, and the piston did kiss a valve (actually it whacks the valve quite hard). It hit all of the exhaust valves enough to bend them. The intake valves are also not good.

On this picture, the valves on the lower row are the exhaust valves, and they are all stuck open because they are bent. The one on the left is bent at a 90 degree angle.

That severely bent valve got hit by the piston on the right. It put a good dimple on the top of the piston, but it can be saved.

To fix the head, it costs around $1200 bucks because all of the exhaust valves have to be replaced, if the head is salvageable, and all of the valves have to be ground to make it even. Labor to remove and reinstall the top and front of the engine is around $750. Parts alone are $650. $2550 later, you get your car back.

If you replace the timing belt under the manufacturers recommended replacement schedule, which is every 60,000 miles, the cost is around $600.00 parts and labor.

My brothers car is a Mitsubishi Eclipse with the 4G63 2 liter engine.

"Childhood is measured by sounds and smells and sights before the dark hour of reason grows"John Betjeman

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Calf...Ankles...Cankles!! evan938 knows a lot about Elantras evan938's Avatar

Default Re: This is what happens when you don't change your timing belt regularly.

i would have swapped in a new used motor before spending $2500 to rebuild it.
    local forum post, users mom is an actual meth-head
    In the last convo i had with my Birth Giver. After I confronted her on leaving me for dead 17years prior to pursue a life of drugs and prostitution she seriously said "Rhett, there is nothing wrong with sucking cock for crack god damn it!!"

Default Re: This is what happens when you don't change your timing belt regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by evan938 View Post
    i would have swapped in a new used motor before spending $2500 to rebuild it.
    It is not costing him $2500 to fix it. I am getting it done at my cost, plus labor. About $1650 to do. That $2500 is about the average price to redo the top end and do the timing belt correctly.

The local 4G63 engines are not very good here; they are bad and have been abused. Miles are high and many of them have low compression.

This way, I will know what is in the engine, which I have to guarantee. Once it leaves the shop, I want it to be reliable.

"Childhood is measured by sounds and smells and sights before the dark hour of reason grows"John Betjeman

Acountabilibuddy ricerrx7 knows a lot about Elantras

Then you should have someone else work on it.
    Flying spaghetti monster loves you...

I am openly an *******. 1 of 3251 *******s on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ricerrx7 View Post
    Then you should have someone else work on it.
    I am not satified with the work from others because I don't trust them. I do it myself; and it will be done my way.

I don't want any problems with the engine later on, and it will be done correctly.

1500$ still seems like alot. could still prolly replace the motor with a different one for less. like evan said.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete03GLS View Post
    1500$ still seems like alot. could still prolly replace the motor with a different one for less. like evan said.
    You don't know what you are getting (most of the time) when you get a used engine. It costs more than $1500 including labor to replace a motor. My shop charges at least $1100 in labor only just to R&R a motor; not including parts and the cost of the motor. Plan on spending at least $700 just in parts; water pump, thermostat, timing belt, balance shaft belt, tensioners for each, idler, belts, hoses, spark plugs, wires, oil/filter, PVC valve, gasket set, seals, clutch kit, etc. Add the cost of the motor to that and also add labor to that. It adds up quickly. On the 4G63 engine, there is a balance shaft (like the older Mitsubishi/Hyundai 2.4 liter engines), and that also is run by its own timing belt.

This way, I know exactly what goes into the engine and I know it will be done right, which my brother wants. He does not want something that will break next week if the engine is replaced with a used one.

That $1500 includes labor to tear down the engine, and redoing what needs redoing. The head will need a complete overhaul. I have all 16 valves on order, but won't know until the head is beyond repair until the cams are removed so the valves can be pulled. I know the seat on the one valve has to be replaced, but can't tell at the moment if it is cracked. because I can't see behind the valve seat until it is removed.
    Last edited by cclngthr; 05-21-2010 at 11:44 PM.

Just the facts please ... bmxdad has not yet proved knowledgeable bmxdad's Avatar

What about the rods? If it hit that one valve that hard to bend it 90 degrees ...

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason it was put up
    My Turbo KIA Project - 81pin ECU Patch Cords available - Get A DropBox Here

turbo envy only1db has picked up a wrench only1db's Avatar

600 bucks!! na dawg...come to my house and it costs $200! and thats with oem belts. not to mention friendly converstation and a good eye to look over the rest of the car. Anybody want to take a trip to the space coast of FL? hah

those 4g's will be worse then the betat because they are dual sprockets for the cams. So they just go in whatever direction...atleast the beta motor uses the exhaust then turns the intake with the chain. so there are only two variables instead of three. Still bad though.
    Last edited by only1db; 05-22-2010 at 04:33 PM.

Silver Certified Tech turned Sonographer! and blogger?? check it out!!

http://allthingshyundai.blogspot.com/

Veloster Turbo is in the future....

Quote Originally Posted by bmxdad View Post
    What about the rods? If it hit that one valve that hard to bend it 90 degrees ...
    The rods are fine, had them out this morning to check the pistons and to clean off the piston and rering them ($45.00 for a ring kit). That one piston took a good whack, but cleaned off, it is fine. Bearings look almost new. Apparently this has been tore down before, probably more than once. Cylindar walls had no scores and a minor hone to seat the new rings. Although the old rings were fine and within spec, I wanted to make sure the engine was in good shape once it is together.

Quote Originally Posted by only1db View Post
    600 bucks!! na dawg...come to my house and it costs $200! and thats with oem belts. not to mention friendly converstation and a good eye to look over the rest of the car. Anybody want to take a trip to the space coast of FL? hah

those 4g's will be worse then the betat because they are dual sprockets for the cams. So they just go in whatever direction...atleast the beta motor uses the exhaust then turns the intake with the chain. so there are only two variables instead of three. Still bad though.
    I think the exhaust cam, which is the set that bent, did get out of time and the intake sprocket went in another direction. The tensioner and hydraulic tensioner apparently was loose when he got the car and was making one hell of a racket when the motor was running. That looseness got worse until the timing belt stripped.

I have seen bent valves, but not at 90 degrees and hammered into the head like that. A friend of mine sent me a set of 16 valves and 8 rockers, already ground and new. That lowers my cost, but the average price here for the job is higher than in FL. It is going to cost me at least $400-550 just for the head work alone, and my labor rate for my brother is $500 to remove the head and front of the cover, replace the parts and install everything.

While I'm at it, I'm also replacing the fuel filter (it is under the hood) and all hoses since they were bad as well.

Junior Member Massari has not yet proved knowledgeable

haha come to Australia!

Newbie streetfightergy has not yet proved knowledgeable

You know, for 1600 dollars i am having all the internals replaced with all forged parts...

Plus you could probably put a motor off Ebay for about 500-1000 dollars or get one shipped.

I think only1db would be a good offer for 200 plus the conversation. But yeah i guess i should change my timing belt while i get my engine upgraded so i don't see this in my future... urrgg

^ it cant be beat...too body ever takes advantage of it

VIG fsv87 has not yet proved knowledgeable fsv87's Avatar

^ I did, and I'm a happy customer.

My name is Aaron Vampyrate knows a lot about Elantras Vampyrate's Avatar

well if you didn't live so damn far away i would offer you a case of beer and conversation as well

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGLS View Post
    Some problem with the Internet and Jesus not getting along or something.
    There hadn't been a problem in weeks and then last night out of nowhere Jesus strikes again. Sorry kids.

dont drink....C.R.E.A.M

My name is Aaron Vampyrate knows a lot about Elantras Vampyrate's Avatar

would you settle for yohoo?

Some problem with the Internet and Jesus not getting along or something.
    There hadn't been a problem in weeks and then last night out of nowhere Jesus strikes again. Sorry kids.

^ it cant be beat...too body ever takes advantage of it
    I am charging my brother $440 to rebuild the head with:
    1. 16 new valves.
    2. 8 new valve guides (exhaust guides broke)
    3. 8 new rockers
    4 3 angle valve grind
    5. Mill head (head was warped).

Normally I would charge up to $1200 to do a head (on this one about $850.00). I know that the engine was taken apart more than once, that is obvious, with missing bolts here and there and a header installed.

I know you don't like to replace tensioners and idlers every time but I do because they don't last forever, especially if the idler and tensioner is under tension. It costs less to do the same work once instead of twice. I have told customers I recommend replacing the idler/tensioners, but when they don't, they end up paying me twice when the new belt strips out and valves get bent. My brother had that assumption and let the timing belt go, and even with the noises that the engine had, he ended up destroying the valves. he could have saved himself $900.00

Newbie SiNNiK has not yet proved knowledgeable

Is there a guide somewhere on how to change your own timing belt?

Years ago I replaced the timing gear and chain on a chevy 350, how much different could it be?

Quote Originally Posted by SiNNiK View Post
    Is there a guide somewhere on how to change your own timing belt?

Years ago I replaced the timing gear and chain on a chevy 350, how much different could it be?
    Replacing the timing belt is somewhat similar, but different as well. There should be a DIY either here and/or Elantraclub.

We did get the car running, BUT we also had to deal with a low spot on the block that was leaking oil, and we were not comfortable decking the block. We did seal it up and also sealed the exhaust manifold stud that went into the oil return port of the head. Before it would not pass emissions, but now it does.

+ Reply to Thread