[XD] Federal or California emissions?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Federal or California emissions?

Junior Member ProX can identify a wrench

Default Federal or California emissions?

My exhaust manifold is cracked and I'm looking to replace it... There are two offered - Cali and Federal emissions. How do I know which I have?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Default Re: Federal or California emissions?

Your VIN number will give you that information.

You know there was a recall on this for the early XD's... Go to a dealer to see if it qualifies for a free replacement. You also need to give them your VIN for the correct manifold.

"Childhood is measured by sounds and smells and sights before the dark hour of reason grows"John Betjeman

I knew there was a TSB out there concerning them (inspection), but had no idea there was a recall as well. Thanks for the tip! I shall ask the dealer when I go to get my TCM re flash. Typically their prices are pretty stiff, so I had planned on buying from hyundaipartsonline, which is why I was asking how to discern between the two. If it doesn't qualify and they want an arm and a leg for a replacement, are there any blatant differences that I can look for?

Administrator SuperGLS has information that can be trusted SuperGLS has information that can be trusted SuperGLS's Avatar

I think you probably have a ULEV, not a SULEV, which would mean you don't need the one for California inspections (which is just California and a few states in the Northeast I believe).
    JustDonkeys: All the donkey news, info and fun you could want. Or on Twitter @JustDonkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGLS View Post
    I think you probably have a ULEV, not a SULEV, which would mean you don't need the one for California inspections (which is just California and a few states in the Northeast I believe).
    Supplying his VIN on the purchase order from Hyundaipartsonline will get him the correct manifold.

"Childhood is measured by sounds and smells and sights before the dark hour of reason grows"John Betjeman

Administrator SuperGLS has information that can be trusted SuperGLS has information that can be trusted SuperGLS's Avatar

I agree.
    JustDonkeys: All the donkey news, info and fun you could want. Or on Twitter @JustDonkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGLS View Post
    It was originally sold in Oregon, so you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by cclngthr View Post
    Supplying his VIN on the purchase order from Hyundaipartsonline will get him the correct manifold.
    I was a bit leery when I saw that on the website, but it sounds like it's a common enough occurrence.

Thanks for your help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by ProX View Post
    It was originally sold in Oregon, so you're probably right.

I was a bit leery when I saw that on the website, but it sounds like it's a common enough occurrence.

Thanks for your help guys.
    Anymore, the VIN is generally required to get the right part, especially if the car was sold elsewhere and has more than one version of the same model of car. Example, on my Mazda 3, there are 2 automatic transmissions for the same car and 2 engines as well. The 2.0 liter engine and the 2.3 liter engine areailable as well as the 4 or 5 speed automatic. When I ordered a transmission filter for my car, I had to give the VIN to get the right filter since the 5 speed is different than the 4 speed. I also have CA emissions as well since it was an available option when I bought the car; it now is required in the state of WA to have all new cars be CA emission compliant as of 2010.

Oregon now requires CA emission compliant vehicles as of 2010 as well.

+ Reply to Thread