[XD] Speedometer / tachometer intermittently not working
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Speedometer / tachometer intermittently not working

Newbie kwijibo has not yet proved knowledgeable

Question Speedometer / tachometer intermittently not working

The speedometer and tachometer have stopped working on my '02 XD. Sometimes it's just the tachometer alone that doesn't move (but the speedometer is fine); other times both of them remain at zero.

This only started after I had the intake manifold gasket replaced last week to resolve a rough idle/mis-fire issue (see this thread). Could they be related?

Basically, when I got back my car, the tech noted that the speedometer and tachometer weren't working. They were definitely working when I dropped off the car with them, but they said the tech was just noting down his observations from his test drive after replacing the gasket. They further explained that where they were working on for the gasket was nowhere near anything that might've affected the speedometer/tachometer. Is that an accurate statement?

Just to check, I removed the fascia and examined the connections to the instrument cluster, and they looked fine to me. Also, the fuel indicator and temperature indicator are OK. No CEL.

Would appreciate any ideas on where to look at next. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Default Re: Speedometer / tachometer intermittently not working

check spped sensor on tranny under distrocap

---------- Post added 10-03-2010 at 07:17 PM ----------

http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/atta...chmentid=13685
    if it isn't broken, fix it till it is

elantras dont have distributor caps.

look at the picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added 10-03-2010 at 07:41 PM ----------

It is about the same as one. its plastic, has cables comin out just no points and spinny thing.

Gabster Bassaddicted has not yet proved knowledgeable

There are 2 sensors on the engine that sent a signal to the Computer and speedometer and tach. When one of these goes bad it can make the speedometer and tach go all over the place and also just stop working. This can also cause all types of engine running problems because the information being sent to the PCM will be incorrect all so. The units are easy to replace once you find them, it seems that they are located in different areas of the engine with each year the vehicle was put out. Your local dealer should be able to tell you the location of each sending unit. Hope this helps.

Edited Text to be more on Topic.....
    Last edited by Bassaddicted; 10-03-2010 at 11:36 PM.

I know that but if you looked at that side of the car engine and were wondering where i was talking about, you would get the idea. or are you unable to think that way? Look at the picture and stop straying off topic.

if i was someone who didnt kno anything about my car... n u told me to look under the dist. cap... id b ****ing confused... so i figured it was good if he knew that theres no such thing on an elantra. as a dist. cap man.

alright then.

Newbie kwijibo has not yet proved knowledgeable

Thanks for the replies and picture. Pardon my ignorance, but from what I've read online, I see different references to the VSS, input, and output speed sensors. What's the difference between them?

(Although, when I searched a Hyundai parts website, I only see one type of VSS, other than the ones on the wheels for ABS, which I don't have)

Is this the right part?
    Vehicle speed sensor, elantra, auto trans 02-06
    list price $76.28
    Electrical - Powertrain control - Vehicle speed sensor
    I found this DIY (link: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t13320...elantra-gt.htm) for a 2001 Elantra. Is this the same part? From what I can tell from evilcalvin's picture vs. this DIY, it doesn't look like it, since evilcalvin's picture shows it above the coil pack while this DIY shows the sensor below the coil pack, underneath the air filter housing.

Also, is it possible for a bad speed sensor to not throw any codes, or cause the odometer not to tick up? My odometer is still fine.

Junior Member asanka424 has not yet proved knowledgeable

Hi,

I am having the same problem. But my speed meter works fine. Tachometer is failing intermittently. Did you find the cause for your problem?

Asanka

+ Reply to Thread