Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1.8l Nu engine to be used in 2011 Elantra

[MD/UD] 
14K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  djnatedogg 
#1 ·
Interesting that it's not a GDI engine. Thoughts?

Motortrend said:
Output is rated at 148 horsepower at 6500 rpm and 131 pound-feet of torque at 4700 rpm. The Nu's 82.4 hp/liter specific output is claimed to be best in the compact class, as is the official EPA fuel economy rating of 29 mpg city/40 mpg highway, which will apply to all Elantras. Those are all impressive figures, and they're accomplished with conventional port fuel injection. There's plenty of room to improve all those figures by adding direct injection, automatic stop/start, and variable valve lift -- all of which the engine architecture is protected for between now and 2025, when Hyundai has pledged to increase its own CAFE to 50 mpg.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/6703456/a...d-nu-18-liter-engine/index.html#ixzz15JstV2sI

See less See more
#3 ·
It just feels to me like they want to be able to say "Look, 40MPG!" and then when that wears off they can add the GDI and say "Look, 45MPG!" Twice the "Look at us we are Hyundai and we are awesome" factor.

#4 ·
I'm guessing the reason it is a traditionally ported engine, and not GDI is strictly cost. GDI costs more to design and build (I would guess). To keep the price of the car as low as possible, no GDI. As the article hinted, there is plenty of room for upgrade in the 15-year life expectancy for production of that engine. I'd look for more engine goodies on the "Nu2", just like the betaII got CVVT added to it half-way through it's life.

#5 ·
The 2010 elantra got 35mpg on the betta engine, so i was guessing 40mpg with GDI on the 2011 elantra. Seeing how hyundai pulled it off on a 1.8nu engine with no GDI and still got 40MPG! is amazing to me, the HP level is great too.

#9 ·
I thought the same thing when I saw there wasn't an option for GDI when I bought my GT. A couple good points here... the conspiracy theory is plausible, but the cost is probably the most true. I'm a mechanic in training and we learned about GDI in class. Those injectors are EX PENS IVE!! They have to work under pressures excessive of 1000psi much like diesel. So the injectors alone are added expense, explain why the Elantra is more expensive than the Civic is because the cost of injectors. Joe public don't care, all they know is that the Civic is the same price and/or cheaper and has a better track record. And to cover my butt, I say Civic HAD a better track record, their quality has been going downhill year after year, along with Toyota. So thats my theory, makes sense to me :p Also, if those injectors puke, huge cost to the consumer and/or the dealer!

This Nu engine runs super smooth, decent power, but really odd with the drive by wire. My old Sunfire GT seems to have more balls, but in theory, this new car should be quicker cause the power ratings are similar but the Elantra is quite a bit lighter. Still, not complaining, I love this car! Very comfy ride, yet sporty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.