Hyundai Salt Belt Corrosion Class Action Thread
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hyundai Salt Belt Corrosion Class Action Thread

Administrator SuperGLS has information that can be trusted SuperGLS has information that can be trusted SuperGLS's Avatar

Exclamation Hyundai Salt Belt Corrosion Class Action Thread

Did anyone get one of these Hyundai Salt Belt Corrosion Class Action Settlement Center things in the mail?

It's 15 pages!

Basically people want to get money back if they've had to pay for the things that were part of the recall if they had them fixed before the recall. I guess.

http://saltbeltcorrosion.hyundaiusa.com

Maybe this will help some of you fellow EXDers, although I think most were taken care of under warranty/recall from the threads I remember.
    JustDonkeys: All the donkey news, info and fun you could want. Or on Twitter @JustDonkeys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Poster God Aintnonerd has picked up a wrench Aintnonerd's Avatar

Default Re: Hyundai Salt Belt Corrosion Class Action Thread

Please forgive my stupidity, what is salt belt corrosion? Does that have to do with steering or alignment? I searched around and that is what I am finding related to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by songee623 View Post
    nothing is ever simple on the interwebz!
    Quote Originally Posted by xAlvarox View Post
    someones misery is my laughter xD

Administrator SuperGLS has information that can be trusted SuperGLS has information that can be trusted SuperGLS's Avatar

There was a problem with all the salt used in the "salt belt" (midwest/northeast US) during the winter for the roads causing the lower control arms and other parts to become totally corroded.
    JustDonkeys: All the donkey news, info and fun you could want. Or on Twitter @JustDonkeys.

Ah, OK. Isn't that more of a fault of the owner though, not rust proofing or taking precautions to protect the underside of their car?

EXD SupaMod Ugzz knows a lot about Elantras Ugzz's Avatar

as a car owner in pittsburgh, where we have more winter than summer. the thought of having rust proofing, undercarriage coating etc. has never even crossed my mind. is that my fault? maybe.. but i assume when i buy a car its going to last like it should, and i feel like i shouldnt have to do all kinds of extra stuff just to keep it going.

ill have to keep an eye on the mailbox..
    Quote Originally Posted by Aintnonerd View Post
    Internet Jesus is not pleased with the absense of the chatbox.
    And he stated, "let the people speak, and I shall grant thee speed". Microsoft Sam 11:17

That is what people also assume about their paint jobs here in FL so they never protect or wax their car, then in a few years the clear coat starts to fade away. Then they wonder why that happened.

I'm sure you can find some of the threads here with pictures that show parts rusted completely out/through. A 7-9 year old car shouldn't have these problems.

And Hyundai agrees or they wouldn't have done the recall. It's not that people are trying to get extra money (from what I can tell with a brief look at the mail/site), it's just that some people paid for repairs before the recall came out and want their money back. Understandably.
    Last edited by SuperGLS; 12-08-2010 at 07:19 PM.

lag, lag, lag, bye. 2LiterRiceEater has picked up a wrench 2LiterRiceEater's Avatar

Before the car was passed down to me, my dad took it in and did the recall on mine. Regardless, she's clean for 272,xxx KMs and 10 Canadian winters.

The next time you talk to your boss with a booger hanging from your nose, or leave the house with your fly open, think of it this way:
    At least you didn't just get outrun by a 13-year-old Hyundai sedan with drum brakes

EVERYONE LOVES HYPNOTOAD! Gman knows about Elantras Gman's Avatar

lower control arms are usually not an area you would ever rust proof. The issue was a defect on the way they were welded that let water get in and not drain, causing them to rust out.

Scary Super Mod songee623 has picked up a wrench songee623's Avatar

had the recall done on my Sonata so no class act for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by silversharkxd2 View Post
    in a world without exd...no one can hear you scream
    http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/imag...ine=1358427727

Newbie wasteland has not yet proved knowledgeable wasteland's Avatar

i got it a few weeks ago and when i took my car to the dealer i got a new subframe and both lower control arms=]

VIG fsv87 has not yet proved knowledgeable fsv87's Avatar

I've had my car through 9 winters in Delaware, and my car doesn't look bad at all.

They looked at mine and said it was fine. I wasn't so sure, so I looked for myself, and they look really good. No signs of rust at all.

That's pretty impressive fsv87. Of course, I assume you get about as much snow (and consequently salt) as us in this area.

Newbie 3coraadams has not yet proved knowledgeable 3coraadams's Avatar

While I was driving with my 3 children in the car the A arm snapped! 5 minutes prior we were on the interstate doing 65mph! When the A arm broke the passanger side of the car hit the ground, my tire blew from a bolt piercing the tire! It was the loudest scariest thing I have ever heard! It sounded like we had been hit by an 18wheeler! I had not recieved any info regarding the recall(s) for the A arm and subframe! Which also when the A arm snapped it completely bent the Subframe. Luckily my father in law happened to call our local Hyundai dealership for a part, he was then informed of the recall! We ended up by having it all replaced but from the A arm breaking we had to pay for parts that the A arm damaged! Which I just feel is wrong. My car just hasn't been the same at all since the damage was done. I'm nervous to drive it to be honest! I'm reading all the above comments and not seeing anything like our experience! I thank god however that when the breakage did happen we were only doing 30-35 mph. because this could have been deadly!

EXD Pro Member vsolo has picked up a wrench vsolo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aintnonerd View Post
    That is what people also assume about their paint jobs here in FL so they never protect or wax their car, then in a few years the clear coat starts to fade away. Then they wonder why that happened.
    That is not going cause catastrophic damage and possibly cause a crash. There are pictures here that showed what happened to one person car here.

Quote Originally Posted by wasteland View Post
    i got it a few weeks ago and when i took my car to the dealer i got a new subframe and both lower control arms=]
    I just had mine done from Monday to Wednesday this week. I have 160,000 miles on my car, .. did not realize how sloppy it had gotten.

While it was in, I also needed a transmission mount [PN 21930-2D151 : Bracket ASSY-ROLL STOPPER R](Humm that is why it vibrated at a stop light, then would stop if I put it in neural)

The front end links were worn [54830-2D00 : LINK ASSY -FR STABILIZER] {they were 37.48 Ea}, got them replaced (the dealer was nice & since it had to come out, the did not charge extra for installing them)

While it was torn apart I had them put in Poly front Sway bushing (had looked into it before for the GT they were either 24 or 25 mm bar, the GLS is 23 mm)
    I lucked out Advance Auto have a 25 mm bushing set [Energy Suspension P/N: 9.5151R] on the wall. I figured 1 mm would not be noticeable if I was wrong

Since it was in the air an they had the power tools I had them put in the 19 mm poly bushing [Energy Suspension P/N 9-5156R] in the rear.

It rides like a new car again... Ready for the next 160,000 miles

2002 GT Black,Tib 19 mm swaybar,KORE strut bar,
    CF Hood,Carbonman Grill & Eye Liners, KDM foglights,
    OEM SS brake lines, H & R Springs, KYB GR2 struts,
    Astrel side skirts,TC Front Spoiler,OEM Rear Spoiler .

Poster God jimbo3n21 knows about Elantras jimbo3n21's Avatar

so if i got this letter all i bascailly have to do is take it to hyundai and see if they want to fix it or not fix it

EXD Pro Member vsolo has picked up a wrench vsolo's Avatar

Yup, last Thursday (the 6th) I stopped by & made an appointment (for Monday the 10). They told me that if it need parts it would be an extra day. I told them take their time. they took one extra day but it gave me time to get the extra bushing

2002 GT Black,Tib 19 mm swaybar,KORE strut bar,
    CF Hood,Carbonman Grill & Eye Liners, KDM foglights,
    OEM SS brake lines, H & R Springs, KYB GR2 struts,
    Astrel side skirts,TC Front Spoiler,OEM Rear Spoiler .

cool, hopefully i can get mine changed. and hopefully that fixs the steering problem and i hope i dont have to pay for another alignment or balancing

sorry for the late reply but i went to hyundai and they said that this recall doesnt apply to the state of texas

That's correct. The list of states is on the website. You are too far south (even if you are getting real winter weather right now).

+ Reply to Thread