[XD] Blown head Gasket
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blown head Gasket

Newbie Eastern NC has not yet proved knowledgeable

Default Blown head Gasket

OK my daughter has a 2005 Elantra and it overheated and blew the head gasket.
    The mech said $3k to remove engine, replace head gasket, mill head, water pump, new bolts, and gaskets.
    I think this is outrageous.
    I plan on buying a manual, going to Auto zone and buying a head gasket, water pump, timing belt and replacing all of the above.
    Is there anything that I am missing, input welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Super Moderator hyunelan2 knows a lot about Elantras hyunelan2's Avatar

Default Re: Blown head Gasket

That price does seem outrageous. You could swap a whole different engine in for less than $3K. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with an estimate of what it SHOULD cost.

2010 Equator Sport | 2002 Elantra GLS (sold) | 2003 Tiburon GT | 2004 Santa Fe GLS

Forced Induction Junkie TSmooth8403 has not yet proved knowledgeable TSmooth8403's Avatar

Total at my shop $1085. Thats removed, new head gasket, rebuilding the head, water pump, bolts, gaskets, front and rear seals, water pump, timing belt, labor and reassembly.
    I Make More Horsepower than my post count!
    Cause when the season starts, WE'RE RACING! It's no fun when you have to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by TSmooth8403 View Post
    Total at my shop $1085. Thats removed, new head gasket, rebuilding the head, water pump, bolts, gaskets, front and rear seals, water pump, timing belt, labor and reassembly.
    My shop would charge about $1100 to remove the head, have it checked for warpage, cracks, mill the head, check the block deck, replace timing belt with tensioner/idler wheels, water pump, thermostat/water outlet gasket, plugs/wires, front seal, and dyno the car after reassembly.

Engine does not need to be removed for this. Doing a Honda Accord head at the moment.

"Childhood is measured by sounds and smells and sights before the dark hour of reason grows"John Betjeman

Newbie Eastern NC has not yet proved knowledgeable

1.1K is much more inline with what I thought was fair.....Thanks

+ Reply to Thread