Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Blown head Gasket

[XD] 
6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Eastern NC 
#1 ·
OK my daughter has a 2005 Elantra and it overheated and blew the head gasket.
The mech said $3k to remove engine, replace head gasket, mill head, water pump, new bolts, and gaskets.
I think this is outrageous.
I plan on buying a manual, going to Auto zone and buying a head gasket, water pump, timing belt and replacing all of the above.
Is there anything that I am missing, input welcome.

#2 ·
That price does seem outrageous. You could swap a whole different engine in for less than $3K. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with an estimate of what it SHOULD cost.

#3 ·
Total at my shop $1085. Thats removed, new head gasket, rebuilding the head, water pump, bolts, gaskets, front and rear seals, water pump, timing belt, labor and reassembly.

#4 ·
My shop would charge about $1100 to remove the head, have it checked for warpage, cracks, mill the head, check the block deck, replace timing belt with tensioner/idler wheels, water pump, thermostat/water outlet gasket, plugs/wires, front seal, and dyno the car after reassembly.

Engine does not need to be removed for this. Doing a Honda Accord head at the moment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.