Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

snapped a lug bolt

6K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  FordFasteRR 
#1 ·
yeah so when i installed springs today i guess they overtorqued a lug. cus when i caught a flat driving tonight i blew a tire and in the removal process, i removed a bolt with one of the lug nuts. it in the front too. does anyone know how much it cost to get taht fixed. and also i have to buy a new set of tires now as well.

#2 ·
This happened to me as well. I got new bolts with lugs from Jay for like $4.00 a set. Take off the roter and slam the bolt out with a sledge. The new one goes in, then tighten, loosen,tighten loosen. After a couple days driving, loosen tighten. But try to not pull a hercules anymore.

Overall, not that hard to replace.

#5 · (Edited)
Ok here is what you do.

first jack up the car
remove the tire from the car
once you have this you need to take off your brake caliper and brake rotor
now with the rotor off get a hammer and knock out the rest of the stud
you will need a piece of tube about 3/4" long that the wheel stud will fit into. so the piece of tube is like a sleeve.
ok take the stud, place it into the back of the hub so it looks like the other three. now put the sleeve on the stud and top it off with the lug nut. now tighten the lug nut down and it will seat the stud into place. once seated remove the nut and sleeve and put your tire back on lower your car and finish tightening your wheels. if this make no sence pm me and i will explain

http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3394

#6 ·
seraph0503 said:
u think the dealer will replace mine under warranty even tho it's my fault? btw you'd be surprised how strong you get when it's freexing cold and u wanna get home. cus cops are stopping racers.
Just tell it came off when you removed your lugs to take off your tire; t's not your fault the bolt isn't strong enough right? I guess it will depend on the dealer you take it into. Mine replaced that under warranty but doesn't want to replace my headlight bulbs that goes out every 2 months.

#10 ·
Hmm... maybe the electric impact wrench has just about enough ummmph to do the job. I know the bastards at Costco can take the lug nuts off with their air impact wrench but when putting the wheels back on and torquing the lug nuts, their policy is to do it as much by hand first and finish with a torque wrench. I hardly see any of them do this though.

#11 ·
dude, it will always be your fault, as long as it was you that did it. but since it was hyundai that created these snap- happy wheel studs, they should also replace them under warranty.

to be honest, 3 out of the 4 times that i've snapped a wheel stud i was using the stock lug wrench which has one handle and no torque, so i just stomped the end, which worked well, except when the nut came off, the stud plopped out too. that sukt. so go out and buy one of those nifty 4- handle lug wrenches, which have bookoo torque, save money on a pnumatic wrench, and be happy.

#12 · (Edited)
yeah my roomate has a 4 spoke wrench and thats what i snapped it with. it was only turning so far so then we both torqued it and it snapped. it was also like 30 degrees outside so i was in a rush to change the tire. i'll take it to tally hyundai tommorow and see what's up. i also have a fog light that just went out. is that warrenty too.?

also http://store.yahoo.com/dynadirect/sp-rl1002.html samething but cheaper ford

been looking for a while at those

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.