Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Oil light and engine knocking

[XD] 
15K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  only1db 
#1 ·
Ok so here is the problem. I have a 2004 elantra with 114000 miles on it. I purchased the vehicle about 2 months ago and it was running fine until yesterday. I was driving home and I thought I heard a knocking noise but I wasn't sure. The car drove fine and wasn't showing any signs of a problem. When I was about to drive to work and I started the car. The knocking noise was def. Noticeable and the oil light was on. I immediately turned the car off and checked the oil level. It's fine. So... If anyone has any idea what could be wrong please respond.

#6 ·
Correct. The oil light goes on for a loss of oil PRESSURE. If the oil filter is not an OEM Hyundai filter, change it and see if the problem goes away.

#5 ·
Your crankshaft bearings ride on a thin layer of oil. That knocking sound mean that your engine is being starved oil. The past owner may not have changed the oil filter in a while. I would change that first and if it persists it may be the oil pump or time for a rebuild as the bearings may be worn and cause the engine not to maintain proper oil pressure.

#8 ·
When I worked for a GM dealer in Nashville, I did a used car inspection on a Dodge Durango. Everything looked fine, so I changed the oil and was done with it. Two days later it got towed back in with the oil pressure light on and the engine knocking. I checked the oil level and it was fine. Took off the valve covers and it looked like the covers were still on. The engine was sludged up. Putting fresh oil knocked some of the sludge loose and it got caught in the oil sump, starving the engine of oil. I would check to see if your engine is sludged.

#9 ·
I just put the car on jack stands and the oil pan has been removed before and it doesn't look like a professional has done the job. Mismatched bolts etc. So, I'm gonna do the oil change first and see what's going on with it but I'm not optimistic.

Well I couldn't be so lucky as to have it be the oil filter. I just changed the oil and filter. Same noise same light!!!! Damn I don't know what to do.

After turning the car on, the dip stick is still showing that the oil level is very high. I don't know if that means the oil pump isn't pumping or maybe there is something sludged up. I'm gonna pull the new filter and see if any oil has been circulated threw the filter.

Ok well the filter is bone dry so... No oil is being pumped. I guess i have to drop this pan and see what I can see. Thanks for all the help.

#13 ·
Make sure you've got all the bolts out, then knock it with a rubber mallet.

Sounds like your oil pump went out. As stated above, poor maintenance, non-oem filters, engine sludge all likely culprits. Hope you didnt buy it from a friend.

#16 · (Edited)
yes there are...but i have used a rubber and a pry bar in the right place.

and yes like other have said...the oil light is for pressure, so i would take the valve cover off too and look. if all of that is fine...then i would be worried about the CVVT filter. There is a filter between the block and the cylinder head....it prevents little things from getting into the cvvt motor, that could be clogged too.

one thing to try is to drain all of the oil and put int 4 qts of sp III from the dalership...run it (idle ONLY!) for about 15 mins, this will clean out any of the junk if its not too serious. IF your real lucky you wont have to replace any of the bearings.

btw rehobeth beach is the bomb!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.