[XD] Can oil leak from intake gasket?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can oil leak from intake gasket?

Junior Member asanka424 has not yet proved knowledgeable

Default Can oil leak from intake gasket?

I have a strange oil leak. no sign if oil in the floor where i park my car. No white smoke. I can see my intake manifold gasket area and below that. can a leaky intake gasket cause oil leak?

Previous time I had the oil leak it was valve cover gasket and crank shaft gaskets.

Please tell me what other places to look?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Full Member Catfish has not yet proved knowledgeable Catfish's Avatar

Default Re: Can oil leak from intake gasket

I would guess it's the valve cover! The intake air should not contain that much oil!

turbo envy only1db has picked up a wrench only1db's Avatar

is it leaking from UNDERNEATH or is the old residual oil just seeping down from the VCG?

Silver Certified Tech turned Sonographer! and blogger?? check it out!!

http://allthingshyundai.blogspot.com/

Veloster Turbo is in the future....

Quote Originally Posted by only1db View Post
    is it leaking from UNDERNEATH or is the old residual oil just seeping down from the VCG?
    not leaking from underneath. but area looks wet and smells engine oil. when I look I see oily (wet) surface in the engine (firewall side).

bump!anyone

Either the valve cover gasket or someone made a huge mess of adding oil.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
    "That's because Hyundai Jesus said so. Respect him." - SuperGLS

^ agreed....a picture would help too.

guys,it shouldn't be valve cover gasket. if it is valve cover gasket then I should feel oil from somewhere around the valve cover right?

I looked at the engine's intake side and it seems that side is fully wet with oil. that is starting from intake manifold area. No sign of oil in exhaust end. Most importantly no oil in the floor where I park it. And no noticeable white smoke.

Oil level is in the lower mark in dipstick. Which was 1cm above 100Km ago. So it is leaking fast. What are the oil leaking sources in engine's intake side.

I will try to get a photo but it is really difficult to reach there.

Guys pls help me

It is possible that the oil return port on the head/block may have a small space at the head gasket. This could leak. It is usually in the middle of the head. If the valve cover is dry, look between the head and block under the intake manifold.

My brothers car had this issue. The reason was the block has a slight dip in that area and when I rebuilt the head, and milled the head flat, the engine leaked oil there.

"Childhood is measured by sounds and smells and sights before the dark hour of reason grows"John Betjeman

Quote Originally Posted by cclngthr View Post
    It is possible that the oil return port on the head/block may have a small space at the head gasket. This could leak. It is usually in the middle of the head. If the valve cover is dry, look between the head and block under the intake manifold.

My brothers car had this issue. The reason was the block has a slight dip in that area and when I rebuilt the head, and milled the head flat, the engine leaked oil there.
    Thanks for the reply. Is it possible you to provide a photo or diagram. So I know where to look exactly. And how did you repair the leak?

Quote Originally Posted by asanka424 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Is it possible you to provide a photo or diagram. So I know where to look exactly. And how did you repair the leak?
    The oil return port is right in the middle of the cylindar 2 and 3 plugs on each side of the head (intake and exhaust side). If you pull the valve cover and look for fairly large ports, these are the return ports so oil can return to the pan. If it is leaking under the intake manifold at that point, you have a slight dip in the block or the head may be slightly warped.

On my brothers car, we rebuilt the head, so I knew the head was perfectly flat. What we did was take some high temp RTV and shove it into the space between the head and block with a flathead screwdriver. let that sit overnight and reassemble it and see if that plugged the hole. If you look in those oil ports and have a flashlight shining into the block between the head and block, if you see any light, there is a leak.

"Childhood is measured by sounds and smells and sights before the dark hour of reason grows"John Betjeman

Quote Originally Posted by cclngthr View Post
    The oil return port is right in the middle of the cylindar 2 and 3 plugs on each side of the head (intake and exhaust side). If you pull the valve cover and look for fairly large ports, these are the return ports so oil can return to the pan. If it is leaking under the intake manifold at that point, you have a slight dip in the block or the head may be slightly warped.

On my brothers car, we rebuilt the head, so I knew the head was perfectly flat. What we did was take some high temp RTV and shove it into the space between the head and block with a flathead screwdriver. let that sit overnight and reassemble it and see if that plugged the hole. If you look in those oil ports and have a flashlight shining into the block between the head and block, if you see any light, there is a leak.
    Thanks for the reply. I will look for that area. If it is leaking from oil return path should it leave an oil in the floor where i park my car? or just loose oil while engine is started?

Quote Originally Posted by asanka424 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I will look for that area. If it is leaking from oil return path should it leave an oil in the floor where i park my car? or just loose oil while engine is started?
    It may drip if the car is sitting, but most of the loss of oil is when the engine is running. It won't leak when the car is not running because no oil is running down that port.

going to check the car tomorrow. hope it won't cost much.

Default Re: Can oil leak from intake gasket?

if its a warped head its going to cost you to pull the head, new gasket, coolant, and a bunch of other stuff.

Default Re: Can oil leak from intake gasket?

Quote Originally Posted by only1db View Post
    if its a warped head its going to cost you to pull the head, new gasket, coolant, and a bunch of other stuff.
    Oh that's bad.

+ Reply to Thread