Foglight Garnish

[MD/UD] 
12K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Kennydee 
#1 ·
#9 · (Edited)
Edmondsid,

I like the led's in the headlamps...

Ok,

Sorry Ive been away, not on here alot lately. My Dad a Tuscon driver had a John Deere accident and it ended his life quite unexpectedly the end of July, to make a long story short, been trying to get Mom squared away with her new situation.

Anyhow, I finally got a few minutes to install my Chrome Fog Lamp Garnish, My first reaction when I stepped back was that it made the front end look wider. Anyway Im happy with it and while these new Elantra's already stand out in a crowd, the crowd around my neighborhood is filling up with 2011 and 2012 Elantra's, so my car still stands out even amongst the other new Elantra's at least around here, because of my bawdy chrome addiction.

Sincerely.........Smutheop..

#10 ·
#15 ·
Posted these pictures on another thread. But I have a question for smutheop or anyone with experience, are the 3M sticky strips enough to securely and permanetly attach these things? I did not take the fogs on our 2012 Elantra so I have a plastic cover. I tested the fit on the bumper and I figure that the cover is slightly bigger on the sides than the fogs would be so I may need to reduce the covers a bit. I'm thinking that to do a good job I should remove the bumper to properly install them. Also thinking that because of the huge temperature swings up here I should also use a silicone base type of aghesive so they stay on permanetly. Any coments on removing the bumper? I have an account on the HMA service site and I see that after removing the bolts/screws it says to "disconnect the side".

Gadget Wood Audio equipment Cable Gas
Automotive lighting Light Headlamp Bumper Gas
Bumper Hood Eyewear Automotive design Tool

#17 · (Edited)
This project went very well. Taking the bumper off was easier than expected and test fitting was easy inside. I used split loom tubing to protect the wires, tapped in the engine compartment relay box assembly for the power. Selected a wire that goes live when the car is started so the LEDs turn on when the car starts and stays on even at night. This install went better than anticipated. I'll add night time pictures later tonight.

Thanks for everyone's help

Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle
Grille Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper
Hood Automotive tire Sleeve Grey Sportswear
Hood Computer cooling Circuit component Passive circuit component Computer
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Automotive side-view mirror

Here are some night pics
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Vehicle
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Headlamp

#20 ·
Whoa those things are bright, I hope you are happy with them, too bad the XD2 cant get that kind of love

#21 ·
They are brigth. Kinda wondering if they're too bright for night time driving. I could rewire them to the stock DRL if need be. I didn't drive it at night yet with the LEDs but my wife did. She loves the look. I'll have my wife drive towards me tonight to see if they could be blinding the oncoming drivers. I would not want that. If they are too bright I'll rewire them to be on in the daytime only or install a switch so they can be turned on or off.

I'm now thinking of my next mod. I think I got the bug!

#22 ·
I doubt leds will blind anyone, its mostly HID's that are capable of doing that. But gotta double check to make sure. Yeah i'm sure you will make big plans with your modding :), just make sure to keep us posted with your crazy ideas.

#24 ·
You know, they're not that bright at all when on at night. I think the night time picture I posted above is an effect of my cheap camera. From a far they look like any other semi-bright fogs and the closer it gets the more the LEDs look singled out so not too bright at all. One thing though, they are a head turner!!! I don't necessarily like to attract attention all that much. Like, we don't put the music loud when driving in town. Only on the highway. I wouldn’t want some kid thinking he could grab the sound system you know? The Elantra is a great looking car. Since we got the Elantra there are 3 now on my street. One of them is practically the same with tinted windows and similar mags. The owner in fact asked me where I got the lights and he hinted that he'll do something like that soon. I refuse to show him the sound system in the car and the blue LEDs in the trunk. Heheh
Cheers y'all!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.