[XD] 2002 Elantra wont start
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2002 Elantra wont start

Newbie mrteeth has not yet proved knowledgeable

Default 2002 Elantra wont start

Just replaced water pump, radiator and thermostat. She'll turn over but wont start. I did not remove the timing belt so it is as it was when I started. I checked the fuel pump fuse/relay and that's not it. Please advise.

mrteeth

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Beater Eater Juztin133 has not yet proved knowledgeable

Default Re: 2002 Elantra wont start

Check to make sure the spark plugs are getting spark. Unless I'm forgetting something, that would pretty much narrow it down to something preventing fuel from entering the cylinders.
    Last edited by Juztin133; 08-04-2011 at 08:51 PM.

2003 Elantra Owner smileymattj knows about Elantras smileymattj's Avatar
    North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, United States

Do you have a CEL?

Does it sputter or whine?

smileymattj's Garage
    I am not responsible if your car blows up, use common sense and proper safety precautions.

Not sure what a CEL is but it just turns over and over and over and over and noting. There are no new noises as of yet to include sputters or whines. I am undoubtedly a human full of flaws so let's suppose for a moment that the timing belt did infact jump 1 or 2 teeth. I still wouldn't expect it behave like this......ya know I would than expect to hear a sputter or whine. I made reference marks on the pulleys and the timing belt to be sure of proper timing. So moving on to the the thought of a malfunctioning nuetral/safety switch but I would expect the vehicle to not even turn over. This is my beautiful young bride's car all my personal vehicles never newer than 1978 so I on occasion have vapor lock issues. Do EFI vehicles ever even have vapor lock problems and if so do you deal with it the in the same manner as in a none pressurized fuel system. Don't tell anyone I said this but we've had the car since it was new and besides a warranty engine at 60k, this is the first time I have ever had to do any kind of repair on it. Oh ya once again not sure what a CEL is.....are you talking CELL phone maybe. 2536782306 names Rich. Call anytime please! 4pm or 4am
    Last edited by mrteeth; 08-05-2011 at 01:00 AM.

Poster God mlumz has not yet proved knowledgeable mlumz's Avatar

CEL - check engine light

Newbie Forever silet can identify a wrench

You need to to check if you are off on your timing. The crank and cam pulleys are marked. Vapor lock can happen, but it's very rare on modern engines.
    05 Tidal Wave GLS ---Lemon 02 Black GT --- RIP 03 Rally Red GT

Okay so how do you check timing on a car that wont start? Wow this is really quite frustrating.

When I said whine, I meant the noise the starter makes spinning the engine. Usually if that's all you can hear, there is no spark.

It sounds like you aren't hearing anything close to the sound of the engine trying to start correct? At any time, even the first turn over, did it attempt to fire?

If you never heard it fire, there is no spark: Ignition problem. Could be timing, wire unplugged, fuses.

Did you check to see if the spark plugs are firing?

smileymattj's Garage
    I am not responsible if your car blows up, use common sense and proper safety precautions.

That is correct it is not firing at all. It just turns over. I'm not really sure how to check for spark on these newer cars, all my wrenchin has been done on domestic V8s from the 60's and 70's. My wife's Elantra doesn't even look remotely close to those. I can't even see where the spark plug wires lead to from the coils. I'm sure I can do it with a nudge in the right direction. Someone mentioned an ignition wire possibly being unplugged....where's that?

Ignition wire is spark plug wires.

These cars have coil packs, two I believe. Two cylinders per coil.

Checking the spark plugs is just like checking it in a domestic. They really ain't that much different. If you have a timing gun, you can connect it to each spark plug wire to see if the wire is getting power. Then you can pull out each spark plug and see if they are firing. Be very careful not to have anything flammable around. And have something insulated or isolated to hold them. Local parts store should loan you a timing gun. They will charge you full price, then when you return it, you get your money back. They have tool loan programs, and if you wanna kept it or return it that's up to you. They don't mind either way. It's best to check the wires first, safer. They might have a meter that can check coils, ask them. They might even give you more, or better suggestions to try.

You said you made reference marks on the timing belt and pulleys, but you said you didn't remove the timing belt. You mean, you made the marks just incase, just a precaution? Nothing was touched?

I doubt it's gas, if the car was running, you parked it done some repairs for a few hours, half a day... There would still be a little bit of gas in the engine and it would at least sputter on your first try of turning the engine. But if you determine you have spark, the next thing to check is gas.
    Last edited by smileymattj; 08-09-2011 at 09:59 PM.

smileymattj's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrteeth View Post
    Okay so how do you check timing on a car that wont start? Wow this is really quite frustrating.
    Take the covers off and rotate the engine to align the marks on the crank and cam pulleys, just like you would do with a V8. If the marks are off, adjust the timing belt so they line up.

So back from vaca and still nothing. Timing is right. Is getting gas. Is there the possibility of a control module not functioning?

It could be. Did you remove the plastic engine cover when you did all that work? The plug wires are right threre, pull one out, put a spare plug on and see if it sparks when you crank the engine.

+ Reply to Thread