[XD] Radiator replacement- 2001 Hyundai Elantra
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Radiator replacement- 2001 Hyundai Elantra

Newbie kev nemo has not yet proved knowledgeable

Default Radiator replacement- 2001 Hyundai Elantra

So the pepper trick worked for about a season and now it appears the crack has worked it's way down due to the 50+ 100 degree days here in Texas

Found a replacement radiator at O'Reilly's up the road. These online instructions make it sound pretty easy:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_7403082_hyun...tallation.html

Any tips, tricks, or dangers to look out for?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

EXD Pro Member Leviathant can identify a wrench Leviathant's Avatar

Default Re: Radiator replacement- 2001 Hyundai Elantra

Study where the screw holes are on the new radiator. When I tried to replace mine, there were two screws I missed, and when I was wiggling stuff, I got a face-full of a/c refrigerant. It's my own fault for being impatient. I was able to leave my fans plugged in and just pulled them up and over.

The screwhole in the bottom for draining your radiator? It's totally useless, might as well be made of wax. Set up a large container under your car, and drain the radiator via the bottom hose.

Replace both hoses while you've got everything apart. Replace the radiator cap too, if you haven't done so recently.

If I recall correctly, it boils down to 6 screws and two hoses. Just take your time.
    Last edited by Leviathant; 08-23-2011 at 01:16 AM.
    151,000 miles on my '01 Champagne GLS w/ Euro Antenna, OEM Wood Dash Kit, OEM Tiburon Gauges, KDM Card Holder, OEM Tiburon Clarion/Hyundai CD player, GT Tweeters, Mussa Strut Bar, 19mm Tiburon OEM Sway Bar. Pics & Details here, Maintentance log here

7 psi tunned by poweraxel Matrixloader has picked up a wrench Matrixloader's Avatar

replacing the radiator is very easy, is a simple job. should take a noob maybe 1 and half hr to do.

this video might help
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uQpGse_g2w

Last edited by Matrixloader; 08-23-2011 at 08:54 PM.

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather–who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.
    DIY : Paint Bezels and turn signals Black. http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28188

Junior Member lycan28 has not yet proved knowledgeable

Wish I knew that it was that easy. I just had mine replaced last month. I had a hairline crack in the top by the inlet hose. I think it was the heatwave we had here in nyc that caused it. I was driving around a lot that weekend when the temps were above 100 F. I never used my A/C so much in the five years I had my elantra.
    My Daily Driver:
    2006 Elantra GLS- Custom 2.25 Catback (No resonator)- Magnaflow Street Series Muffler #14829- HID's 6000k Diamond White-Custom SRI Intake- Interior and Exterior LED lighting- Eibach ProKit Springs- KYB GR-2 Struts,-Pillar Mounted SunproAir/Fuel Gauge

Quote Originally Posted by lycan28 View Post
    Wish I knew that it was that easy. I just had mine replaced last month. I had a hairline crack in the top by the inlet hose. I think it was the heatwave we had here in nyc that caused it. I was driving around a lot that weekend when the temps were above 100 F. I never used my A/C so much in the five years I had my elantra.
    I just found a crack in the exact same place on my radiator Just shy of 150k miles. Engine temp still staying around 180-190F though. Gotta top off the coolant and get it checked out. I wish I had a garage to change it myself.

Update - had it replaced, only $380 with parts, labor, and tax. They were done in about an hour.
    Last edited by jeschulman82; 05-20-2012 at 02:32 PM.
    Jesse
    2006 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 5-speed
    Clayton, NC

+ Reply to Thread