[XD] Please help college student my car wont accelerate over 20 mph
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Please help college student my car wont accelerate over 20 mph

Newbie chris.f has not yet proved knowledgeable

Default Please help college student my car wont accelerate over 20 mph

my car is a Hyundai Elantra 2002 and was running with a very high idle, the other day i was driving it home and almost ran out of gas and on the way home it revved up very high while i was driving. The next day i tried to drive it and i didn't notice anything was wrong with it until i got on the road
    and tried to accelerate it wouldn't go over 20 mph. can someone please help me i have tried changing hooking it up to a machine and it said it was a misfire on cylinder #3 and i checked the compression of the cylinders and changed the spark plugs and wires. please help

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Junior Member Karrde has picked up a wrench Karrde's Avatar

Default Re: Please help college student my car wont accelerate over 20 mph

You checked your cylinder compression? And it was all good, or one low reading? Is your car automatic or manual transmission? When you say it won't go over 20mph, is the engine revving high at that point or low? (assuming it's automatic)

Super Moderator hyunelan2 knows a lot about Elantras hyunelan2's Avatar

Sounds to me like the misfire is making the car go into "limp mode" so it doesn't hurt itself. So, fix the misfire and the car should probably return to normal. Someone else will have to advise you on that part though.

2010 Equator Sport | 2002 Elantra GLS (sold) | 2003 Tiburon GT | 2004 Santa Fe GLS

Poster God avantegt knows about Elantras avantegt's Avatar

My elantra has been notorious for misfiring. Cannot hear a backfire though D:

I got my distributor replaced yesterday because it was not working right, and last year I had to replace the cat because unburnt fuel settled in it due to a misfire.
    Never had acceleration problems like that though.
    Maybe it is your tranny.
    They ran over my car, quite literally.

2003 Elantra Owner smileymattj knows about Elantras smileymattj's Avatar
    North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, United States

Elantra's don't have distributors.

Start by fixing the obvious problem, the misfire as suggested. If that doesn't work answer the questions Karrde brought up so we can understand better what's going on.

Assuming your compression tests were successful, test for fuel and spark on cylinder #3.

If it's not firing and it's getting gas, the plug should be a little damp and the cylinder should have a smell of gas. But that's not a guaranteed fuel test, just an observation. Compression can push it out of the cylinder.

Try swapping cylinder 3 spark plug to another.
    Try swapping the wire to see if that's the problem.

There are two ignition coils providing for two cylinders each. I've never tested it myself, but others have said they the coil fires both cylinders at the same intervals.
    For testing purposes you can swap the wires on the coil pak that powers cyl #3. See if the misfire swapped to the other cylinder.

Ignition Flow:
    Coil->Wire->Plug

Memorize or document where everything originally was before you go swapping to troubleshoot so that it can be put back together.

smileymattj's Garage
    I am not responsible if your car blows up, use common sense and proper safety precautions.

+ Reply to Thread