Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS Front Wheel Bearing repair...HELP, please!

[XD] 
4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  only1db 
#1 ·
Are these compressed? Is there a difference in the part if it is or are they all the same? Can someone tell me how to change them? Is it a do it yourself type job if you have the right tools? Thank you in advance!

Jessica

#2 · (Edited)
Hey Jessica,

welcome.

first, i'm not too sure what you mean by "compressed" but our wheel bearing are the pressed type. there are tools available, but i would highly recommend going to a shop to have them press your old ones out and press the new ones in.

I did tackle this job 2k ago and going strong. i followed the DIY's that are provided on this site:

"'http://www.elantraxd.com/DIY/brake.php"

the above DIY explains how to take the major components of the brakes off the hub; you want to remove everything in order to expose the hub.

"http://www.elantraxd.com/DIY/clutch.php"

the beginning of the DIY above explains (and shows) how to remove the knuckle from the vehicle. You will be able to see the wheel bearing in the hub which is attached to the knuckle (pic #4 shows the knuckle almost completely removed).

i then took that knuckle/hub assembly to a shop and had them press the old one out and new one in. I live in edmonton AB, CAN and the majority of mechanics i called were crooks. i eventually found a reputable company to change out both wheels bearings for $110 total. Remember i had removed everyting i could and brought the assembly to him. i also picked up wheel bearings from part source for $150. (Keep in mind that most mechaincs here wanted an avg of $450 per wheel bearing change)

if you do a good search around on the forum you will find more info. BTW, i did not remove the speed sensor off the right hub, i followed the wired and disconnected it from the harness. My sensor was rusted up proper and i was concerned i would break it.

PM me and i can send you more info i compiled before i tackled this job.

Good luck,

Sam

#3 ·
you can do them by yourself like mentioned but you have to take the whole knuckle to somebody and have them press the bearing in and out. You will also have to buy a TCS/speed sensor as its more than likely seized in the knuckle and it needs to be removed in order to press the bearing out.

I found a shop around me that did both for 30 bucks...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.