Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Timing belt help

7K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  sed 
#1 ·
I know it's not really necessary maintenance until 60k but I always do my 60k services at 50k, so it's time to change my timing belt. Since I'm gonna have this apart, are there any mods that I can do?

thanks

#4 ·
well of course you change all parts associated with the timing when doing a job of that caliber...

water pump is an iffy, but when you have the cover off and are doing a timing belt job, a water pump is a 60,000 mile part anyway. so you might as well do it. I believe he was asking about HP or Torque adding modifications..

correct me if i'm wrong josh

shawn :)

#7 ·
Yeah I'm gonna do the pump, tensioner, and seals as well.

Shawn, you're right, I was trying to see if there were any torque/hp adding mods that would be easier with this install. ;0)

Ah well I'll probably just take FordFasteRR's advice and change my oil ;0)

#8 ·
like i said earlier,

Unless you want to do cams... or cam sprokets, but you could do an ud pulley, if you want to, but then again you have to order that and wait for that part to do the job. There really isn't much you can do with the upper head without changing a lot of aspects of the engine. My advice is to give her a good tune up, use castrol 5w30, a good oil filter, the honda plug wires, iridium plugs.

#9 ·
I could be wrong but in my opinion, I think Hyundai's recommendation to change the timing belt at 60k is a little premature. Every car I've ever owned has always been, inspect the timing belt at 60k, and replace if needed. Then at 90-100k is a definate replacement. Last car I had was and Acura and I ran the shit out of that motor and got 130k miles before I had the timing belt replaced. Then when I replaced it, the mechanic told me that the old belt was still in great condition and probably still had some miles left on it. As of now I have 82k on my Elantra already and don't plan on changing the timing belt till I hit 90k. Since the dealer wants $500 to change it, and all the other belts, I'm going to use my Hyundai settlement money to get $100 off.

#13 · (Edited)
Elantra2.001 said:
....Modern synthetic oil lasts 12000 miles easy, but you change it even if there are "some miles" left in it.

Yeah right !...

well, theoretically, you dont ever HAVE to change the oil unless its below the recommended level... sheesh...

you could just keep adding more as it wears out...

of course, the bearings and other parts will die much sooner than the manufacturers MTBF specification !!

sheesh... you should be carefull what you tell newbs around here sonny !! :)

#14 · (Edited)
you guys have never seen a menu of recommended service? maybe its just us guys who have worked in a dealership. Ok here you go:

3000 miles :
first oil change, check and adjust all belts, top off all fluids.

6000 miles:
oil change, check and adjust all belts, top off all fluids, rotate tires, balance if needed

9000 miles:
oil change, check and adjust all belts, top off all fluids

12000 miles:
oil change, check and adjust all belts, top off all fluids, rotate tires

15000 miles:
Oil change, check and adjust all belts, top off all fluids, check spark plugs, check spark plug wires, transmission service, coolant check, replace air filter and wiper blades

18000 miles
Oil change, check and adjust all belts, top off all fluids, rotate tires

21000 miles:
Oil change, check and adjust all belts, top off all fluids

24000 miles:
Oil change, check and adjust all belts, top off all fluids, rotate tires

27000 miles:
Oil change, check and adjust all belts, top off all fluids

30000 miles:
Oil change, check and adjust all belts, top off all fluids, auto tranny service (every 15), pcv replacement, spark plug replacement, check wires, replace wiper blades, coolant service, replace air filter, balance tires, manual tranny service (recommended every 30), rear diff service.

Lather rinse repeat every 3000, a 45000 is a 15000, a 60000 is a 30000 etc etc

shawn :) :znaika:

#15 ·
Elantra2.001 said:
The timing belt is so cheap that its rediculous not to change it at the recomended interval. Modern synthetic oil lasts 12000 miles easy, but you change it even if there are "some miles" left in it.
The belt is cheap...paying the dealer or any other mechanic to put it in isn't. I would do it myself, but that's one CF of a mess I don't even want to deal with. And now that I am looking directly at my manual and the vehicle maintenance requirements chart, it says replace the timing belt at 60k but then is marked with an asterisk with a footnote saying, "For California, this maintenance is recommended, but not required". That tells me that as long as I've inspected it, it's all good till I hit 90k.

#16 ·
Damnit! I've got 4500 left till the 'big boy' 30,000 mile service - that's not gonna be cheap. What's the auto tranny service entail?

#17 ·
auto tranny service is simple,

drop the tranny pan, drain the fluid, change the filter, clean the pan of all gasket material, reinstall the pan and add tranny fluid. Check while car is idling in park..

And timing belt isn't as hard as a lot of people think it is....

it is really actually as simple as a valve cover gasket, you just have to make sure you note where TDC (Top dead center) is....

any other questions on a timing belt job, pm me and I'll help as much as possible

#18 ·
the 500 it takes to change it will be cheaper than if it breaks. My belt and water pump are getting changed at 60k. but then again.. that IMO.

#19 ·
Modern synthetic will have detergents and anti foaming capability out to 12000 miles, but the filter would be shot, so if you change the filter, you might as well change the oil. The longest you should run one filter is 6000 miles. This is all moot though. Ill be changing mine at 60k so meh...

#20 ·
I'm at 70k right now,

I changed my water pump, idler, timing belt and tensioner, plugs, wires, pcv, brake pads, calipers, rotors, and tires.. when I hit 60... I mean I had just gotten the car 15000 miles before that so mine is a little extreme, but an ounce of prevention.....

#23 ·
sed said:
auto tranny service is simple,

drop the tranny pan, drain the fluid, change the filter, clean the pan of all gasket material, reinstall the pan and add tranny fluid. Check while car is idling in park..

And timing belt isn't as hard as a lot of people think it is....

it is really actually as simple as a valve cover gasket, you just have to make sure you note where TDC (Top dead center) is....

any other questions on a timing belt job, pm me and I'll help as much as possible

With that said maybe I will try and save myself a few pennies and do the timing belt and water pump myself. I do have a connection to get a 20% discount on Hyundai parts so really I could purchase all the belts and pump, and just do it myself if it is not as complicated as you say. TDC is easy to read, just tearing all the crap off to get to everything is the part that scares me. Maybe I will be asking questions when I get to that point.

#24 ·
I changed everything at 60k because I got the car used, and it was beat on and had the ORIGINAL pads on it, well what was left of them. The rotors were warped as hell, the calipers siezed and I just felt it would be a better idea to start fresh than try to fix

need help with that timing job, pm me i'll walk you through it

#26 · (Edited)
thats what i want to do with mine sed . . . any tips for someone who hasnt done it before? where could i start? what should i know? what should i look out for? ballpark dollar figure? thanks ahead of time (im like 700 miles away from 60K . . wanna take it in to the dealer for a last ditch effort before the 60K warranty expires but i know they'll just say ahh its fine and then whatever it is they said was fine will break at 60,000.1 :(

:EDIT: sorry, i just noticed this came in after like 3 or 4 posts. . . when i posted this there was still only one page (in my browser that is-i didnt refresh) so my post was in response to sed's last post on page 1 thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.