Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

This just in, the Titanic actually happned and wasn't just a movie!

3K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  songee623 
#1 ·
#14 ·
Best comment on that story, probably accurately sums it all up:

"Imagine how stupid the average person is, and realize: Half of them are stupider." -George Carlin
Just like this one:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

#3 ·
i dont know nova. i will disagree with you for a second time...how bout that 22mm sway bar huh? I think its a lack of education. I dont think they are stupid. just young and ignorant. do you realize what kids are really being taught in history class. my wife didnt even know what world war 2 was about. and she is only 2 years younger than me. I bought the civil war documentary series just to teach my wife. I dont really agree that it is stupidity. just ignorance of history

#5 ·
People are definitely stupid.

It can't be people that were in middle/high school or older when the movie came out that don't know this. When the movie came out there was all sorts of stuff on TV about the real event. It must be younger people. At least I hope so.

Think back at your US History classes (we had US history specifically at least 3 times during school around here). But, often times you'd get right past the Civil War and it'd be June and it'd be summer and you never really learned much past that point. And when you did learn past that point you learned about the WWI, the depression, WW2 and maybe some stuff about the Cold War. There might have been a paragraph or two in your history book about the Titanic.

With all that said, I thought people just simply knew about events like this. I remember I certainly knew about the Titanic before the movie came out but I can't say where I learned it.

Wrapping up, people are dumb, and there really is no excuse for this level of dumbness.

#6 ·
i disagree still. self education about downloading an app and reading people or msn is more important to the current generation. Im sorry but the US seriously lags on education. I whole heartedly believe it is the fault of our education system and the unions that back the lazy do little approach to educating children. when the teachers union yearly event was focused on unionizing walmart a few years ago as opposed to improving education, that is sad. no child left behind may have grave faults, but it has been documented that teachers have assisted with aptitude tests to keep their reputation. i will search for such reports to back that statement and post them when i come back.
why do you think the teachers union hates the thought of school vouchers to displace taxes in order to put your child in a private school. it because it is a threat to the establishment. I believe in merrit pay for teachers but the unions will NEVER permit it. its all about protecting the union and the union dues and the money that fuels the bueracracy (excuse my lack of education if i spelled that incorrectly...lol)

#7 · (Edited)
its both. there was a time when a man was a man and knew things. real things about the world history and politics. now all men know is sports stats. i am not saying all but as a test ask some people to name 5 quarterbacks past or present then ask them to name 3 supreme court justices. i love this country and i am not even from here. The US use to be # at almost everything. now look the US is ranked lower than some 3rd world nations.

#8 · (Edited)
agreed to an extent. and i appreciate the love for our country if you are not from here. id like to know where you are from. it has its merrits. I agree about the sports thing. commercialization is spread throughout out society so much that apps have taken over our way of life. I still read for pleasure. I have deep regard for amazon promoting the kindle as a book reading tool. i know you can get kindle apps on all sorts of tablets but that is its primary purpose. ask a kid why japan doesnt have a military force other than defense. ask a kid why japan has the laws that it does. ask a kid why germany was seperated or why the civil war was really fought. how many children know that the united states had japanese internment camps. find that in a history book. What about viatnam do kids know other than there were protests and it was considered in the fashion it was portrayed. was it for political freedom or political gain. how many children know that the US actually had a brief war with canada? What was the korean war about. Kids spend thirteen years in school and don't know about the titanic. thats not stupidity its ignorance of history....and to argue that ignorance is worse, no its not. ignorance is not worse when it is not your fault that you were not educated. how many kids does one expect to say "hey, i want to see how many boats have sank in history". thats not worse than a lack of education. that's society and the world we live in when technology is more important than knowledge. Ignorance is not a fault, it is a THE fault of society.

this should be an interesting thread to follow if we can keep stupid arguements out of it and just add worthwhile opinions

#11 ·
I am currently enrolled in High School and I have never been taught this.....ever. When I was younger I had the privilege of having an older sibling that led me in the right academic pathway and also told me about the Titanic. Sadly I have heard this multiple times by a lot of students. Its pretty sad but I have heard worse things from my fellow students.

#12 ·
i literally don't believe this.
i think everyone that posts that they didn't know it was real is just saying it because its funny to think that people didn't know.
or they are just trolls

#20 ·
That's what I'm saying though Rob, is that stuff really worth knowing? In the end each is just another sunken ship.

It's not just history we are dumb about. Have you ever thought about all the stuff you know nothing about? Not just stuff like astrophysics. But you probably don't know anything about knitting, or donkeys, or rugby, or Vietnamese art, or Taoism, or how to explain what a carbohydrate is?

Even smart people don't know about a lot of things. Who's to say knowing about sunken ships is worth knowing?

#21 ·
you probably don't know anything about
wrong

poor people can do this and sell crap for pennys

they smell bad, are ugly, and not as fast or big as horses, but you can still ride one if you really wan't to

they have sticks with nets and throw balls around, there is a goal chamber of some sort and people get "Score points"

Vietnamese art
contains more asian people than our art

this is a religion of some sort

how to explain what a carbohydrate is?
i should be reducing my intake of these.

See james, i don't know "NOTHING" about them. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.