Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

How to Install an Underglow Kit

[XD2] 
7K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  xAlvarox 
#1 ·
Aight, well im going to be in NH from the 17th-29th, so i cant provide images, but i can do the best to illustrate with words. Here goes....

Step .5: Acquire an Underglow Kit

Step 1: Find an appropriate spot to mark for a Firewall Access hole.
(side note: the connectors that connect to the distro hub are quite big, so you will need a step up drill to drill a big enough hole. i mounted mine inside the car so i didnt have to worry about the distro hub getting wet, as that was one of the warnings in the install manual.)

Step 2: Mount your distribution hub underneath your dashboard somewhere near the ECU; or place it somewhere out of the way where it won't be in the way.

Step 3: Lay out your tubes underneath your car in the approximate position where you want them. i started with my rear tube.

Step 4: Rear Tube Setup
Step 4a: You will need a Dremel Tool to grind part of the flat piece of your bumper, where those fake-*** little plastic screws are. You want to keep the 2 mounts that are on the far Left, and far Right of the bumper. Grind out the flat piece just inside those two screws. Then take your drill and find the rear side of the spare tire well. You need to mount the tube mounts on either side, but keep in mind the tube mounts point a certain way, so point your mount upwards so the tube stays hidden. To make sure your holes are drilled to the correct spacing, drill your first hole and screw the mount in, and drill into the other hole in the mount. To make sure your tubes are mounted correctly you can use a pipe approx. the same diameter as the tube.
Step 4b: Routing your wires through the back of the car isn't too tough, there are some wires that your can wire-tie along until you reach the engine bay. Until your ready to run the connectors through the firewall i masking taped them to the side of the battery until i needed them. You just need to keep the wire out of the way of moving parts. Also you can join this wire with the wire connected to the Drivers Side Tube, as that is the most appropriate side to route the wire along, since thats where the firewall was.

Step 5: Front Tube Setup

Step 5a: You will need the Dremel Tool again, there are 2 little protective pieces of plastic that are on the front sides near the radiator. I haven't done this to my car yet, but im going to, but you need to remove those pieces, and dremel out little arcs to the front tube can be mounted up onto the lip of the front piece of the frame. <-- i know that is vague, let me explain in more detail. when your noggin is underneath the front bumper, you can see the radiator, and there is a piece of the chassis that is in front of it. If you mount the tube on the front side you will be able to see the tube when standing away from the car. BUT if you mount it on the lip and point the mounts up into the bumper you can hide it well.
Step 5b: When you mount the tube, mount it so that the wire sticks out onto the Driver's Side, so you can run it up into the engine bay by the battery and through the firewall.

Step 6: Side Tube Setup

Step 6a: So this is the easiest set up, you just look underneath your rocker panels and there is an angled portion on which you can screw in the mounts. these tubes are the longer 2 tubes, and you can use 3 mounts instead of 2. Routing your wires is the same as the rest, just keep your wires out of the way of moving parts, and leave them next to the battery until you need them. Then rinse and repeat for the opposite side.

Step 7: Distribution Hub and Control Box Setup

Step 7a: So now you need to route your tube wires through the firewall, or connect them to the Distro Hub in the engine bay and route the wire from the Distro Hub in through the firewall. Either way make sure to hide your wires. Now, you have a control box that controls speed, pattern, power, and if you buy the 1 Million Color Kit, the color. I mounted mine on the side of the center console near the shifter. You can hide the wires underneath the plastic piece that runs along the side. There are 3 three wires that you need to connect, the Control Wire, Power Supply Wire, and Audio Control Wire. The Control Wire comes from the Distribution Hub, the Power Supply Wire goes either directly to the Battery, or you can do what i did (which is the wrong way to do it) and connect it via a fuse in the fuse box under the dash. There are 2 choices of Audio Control on the Control Box. You can connect it so Audio Control comes directly from your Radio Deck, or from a Mic that also displays the speed by flashing a red LED. I used the latter and i have mine poking out on top of the keyhole on my steering wheel.

I will add pictures as soon as i can, if you have any questions PM me. or friend me on FB (www.facebook.com/ryan.j.blajda) and you can IM me, or visit this thread http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?43291-my-2005-Elantra-XD2/

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
This seems like an awesome project to tackle on. Did you ever get stuck or have a hard time doing part of your project??

Also, are the lights always on when you turn on your car or did you wire them so they turn on at night. I wanna make it so i have a switch to turn them ON/OFF so i can only turn them on when i want to and not always.

#4 ·
what do you mean when you say the control box??

and i have been looking at this set from plasma glow for a while now, look good and great reviews, Which is the set you bought??

#6 ·
Wow, that does look pretty cool, im assuming the slimline package is the same as the one you got just with slimmer tubes and available in multiple colors. I want to get a blue to go with my leds inside but i have a red car and im not sure if it will look bad, and red underglow kinda looks strange. I think im gonna get the blue.

#8 ·
#12 ·
Oh wow thats a while back, i was reading around and saw that any order over 50 bucks gets free shipping so thats pretty cool. Just gonna deposit some money this week and order them. Hopefully everything goes well and i dont have any problems :/. Hopefully they will be as bright as yours ^_^.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.