Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

EL Neon wire experiment

[MD/UD] 
7K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  slyderdai 
#1 · (Edited)
I saw this youtube video a little while back and thought that this stuff was way cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8Hj9Z32j-8&feature=related

So I decided I was going to experiment with the wire. I thought that the guy in the video put too much in his Elantra but I liked the effect on the doors from front to back My goal is to install the wire in the doors and the dash to have a wrapping effect when they're turned on. Bought 2 x 15 feet and I started with a back door just for fun.

The wire has a skirt so it can be inserted between the plastic pannels.
Automotive design Vehicle door Automotive exterior Trunk Electric blue

Measured what I needed and then some so the finish would look OK. The 2 plastic pannels are fixed permanently but with a little pressure I could enlarge the gap between them. This made it easy to slide the skirt in the gap. I drilled 2 little holes at each end, just big enough to insert the wire after I removed some of the skirt. I did loosen 3 screws on the back pannel just over the opening lever so the skirt would go in all the way. After testing I applied dabs of Crazy Glue every inch or so to insure the wire would not move and I sealed the small holes I drilled from the inside with silicone.
Gesture Rim Tints and shades Carbon Electric blue

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle door
Hood Automotive design Vehicle Vehicle door Bumper

Hood Finger Tire Rim Automotive exterior

Did my connections, solder connectors and tested.
Gas Wood Automotive exterior Tints and shades Flooring

One done, 3 more to do and the dash. When I have the time to do this. Once done I'll update this thread. I should be able to do this over the weekend.

Both back doors are done. The wire actually looks good even turned off.

Will do the front doors hopefully before the weekend.

Tested and working fine. I'm having a hell of a problem taking pics of this though. I guess it was too dark for my cheap camera or I need a light source other than the flash. Anyhow, I'll finish this up tomorrow, clean the car and attempt to show this on this thread.

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Speedometer

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle door
Rectangle Sky Parallel Astronomical object Font

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
i cant wait to see your final product, but just know because of that link my hyundai will now hav el interior designs haha thank you

#7 ·
I'll be tapping a power source that turn on with the car. They won't be on at all times. This is just for fun at night. However, I was thinking on different powering options such as having a 3 way swithch that would permit power on when the door opens too. So perhaps having the option to either
1- power on when door open
2- on (all of them) at the flick of a switch
3- off

The option of having the wire turn on when the door opens I thought provides an added sense of security at night. More visible to other drivers/cars.

This is the switch I bought. I may have to change it depending on the power option:
Circuit component Audio equipment Gas Cable Electronic device

#9 ·
Dang this is going to look awesome, i hope you also do the cupholders because that looks crazy.

#10 ·
i usually tap into the 12v outlet thats next to the ashtray and hook an off switch next to my dimmer switch

#11 ·
Well... Everything was working fine so I washed and cleaned the car inside and out. I was getting ready to take pics and a video but when I flipped the switch only the 4 doors worked :mad::confused:. I seem to have a short or a pinch somewhere in the dash. No biggy I guess.... This work was/is extremely time consuming though. I'll fix it when I get back from my fishing trip :cool:

GONE FISHING!!!!! :D

#14 ·
Nice work. I'm not usually a fan of adding glowing crap to the inside of the car, but that looks really good. Subtle enough not to be overbearing, but stands out enough to look good. The installation makes it look like it belongs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.