Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Muffler ON/OFF

[XD] 
7K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  kevinatfms 
#1 ·
So this topic been discussed a lot, and I've been doing a lot of research on it, but nobody can really come up with a concrete answer. Many people say that when you remove the muffler and put just a pipe in its place it slightly boosts torque and lets the exhaust flow better. Others say it doesnt, and it actually makes it lose torque and go slower. And then theres some that say it increases high end torque and decreases low end torque

So I just wanted to open up the discussion again and see what your guys' opinion was on this topic?

Keeping in mind if the rest of the exhaust is stock, I personally dont see how it would cause it to flow that much better since it still has to go thru the stock cat and resonator

#2 ·
Very interesting, I will keep an eye on this thread. Not exactly sure what to think, as my dd i haven't noticed anything different with or without my muffler.

#5 ·
You won't notice a single difference between muffler or no muffler. At least I didn't.

#12 ·
Uh yes you can, don't spread false information. My stock elantra with no muffler in the back was not loud at all.

muffler on/off ...... Where is the switch for this
Anywhere you wish if you install an electric cutout ;)

#14 ·
Not calling him out... just saying. If you just unbolt the stock muffler and leave the pipe dumping upwards towards the floor underneath the car, yeah it will drone and be louder inside. If you run the pipe to the back and point it down or out like I did, it's quiet. All the noise travels out rather than resonate underneath the car.

#16 ·
Oh yeah. Hyundai went out of their way to make these cars quiet. Even with no "muffler" you still have 3 things reducing noise in the exhaust before it comes out. 2 catalytic convertors and a resonator.

#17 ·
you know I recently ran my car with just the manifold/cat on it, not piping hooked up and it was more quiet then I thought it was going to be. Idle just a touch of a rumble and flooring it was not to bed though that was at low rpms and in the mechanics parking lot where I was working on it....I was still pretty surprised.

#18 ·
well... I can't say what removing the muffler will do for an Elantra or any car for that matter. I think it really depends on the car... on some it might make more torque on others it may make less. I know it's not quite the same, but I removed the cat on an Integra I had and put a higher flowing catalyst on an Accord. On each car, it made the engine MUCH more responsive-and you could certainly hear the difference. Both cars were far more snappy and revved out much quicker too... but they had less torque going by the butt-dyno... something you notice in Honda cars as they don't have excessive amounts of torque anyway. I think someone ^ said it best by mentioning dynoing with and without the muffler to see which gives the most power/torque. And speaking of On/Off muffler... here's an exhaust that you can kinda do that with-like someone else mentioned with cut-outs... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T46UANcl9bg&list=LL5FtQSGqvkNCzsFTAj95lEA

maybe a little off-topic, but just my two cents

#20 ·
Are you asking me specifically or everyone in general? You'll likely get mixed responses on whether people think it's 'rice' or not; probably with more people leaning toward it definitely being 'rice'. I can't speak for anyone else... but personally, I wouldn't get a loud exhaust for my Elantra. I had one on the Integra I mentioned back in the day (Tanabe SMR)... and I loved it-so did other people-I got a lot of compliments & the car was fairly quick for basic mods. Even though it was VERY loud and raspy, it had what I thought was a great sound. At the time, I couldn't get enough of it but now... I wouldn't want to hear the exhaust being constantly loud. It would seriously get on my nerves to always have to hear it... In fact, by the time I modded the Accord I mentioned a few years later, I'd gotten the quietest exhaust made for it-an RS-R Ex-Mag. Also, not everybody liked that exhaust on the Integra... a neighbor approached me about it, and it certainly grabbed cops' attention. So, if you're truly concerned about the kinds of things I mentioned... I'd say look for something quiet or leave the exhaust stock. If you just GOTTA have something loud and unique and don't care what people think... well go for it, but just be aware that it's probably widely frowned upon by most enthusiasts-regardless of make/model/etc., neighbors and police-it'll likely attract all the wrong kinds of attention. That said, it doesn't stop (some-depending on year/model) even slower Civic owners from bolting on the loudest exhausts they can. IMHO it looks (and sounds) so horrible to see one of them loudly screaming up to maximum rpms when they're only barely moving... and normal cars that make little or no sound moving as fast or faster with seemingly less effort. In the end, it's your choice...

#23 · (Edited)
and this is what happens when supa asks for a cell phone quality video of my exhaust, stock exhaust manifold, both cats gutted, with nothing but the oem resonator, sounds like poop, cant wait to throw my 3 chamber on there and some 2.5" or 2.25" piping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL9qtc7DKZA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FilgXr0RmYc - somewhat quick accelation, like quarter throttle, windows up, ac on 3.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtFxacZLYoE - both front windows down, giving it half throttle from a slow roll
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEKGRWW4jsI - what i deal with every day from a cold start with the factory heat shields, its from 1500-1800 rpm and then it stops. dat brown note

omg dennis does not know hot to focus on an iphone

#26 ·
cutting the muffler will increase the flow of exaust by a little bit. you still have pretty narrow pipes coming from the engine. When i changed my exaust, i felt like i could pass people on the highway easier. but i wasnt able to go back to stock exaust and compare again. less restriction will give you less back pressure, which means less low end torque. so, probably better fuel economy on highway, and slightly worse in the city. if the muffler alone is enough to do anything.

as for how it sounds, mine sounded obnoxious at 2k rpm. idle was a nice rumble. it is possible that being in florida, my car had less restrictive cats on it than a state with annual inspections. ive never had a car in one of those states so i dont know. all i really know is that california would hate my mustang.

#27 ·
just got my muffler removed and pipe w/ turndown installed. sounds horrible at idle and from 1000-2500. after 2500 it sounds fine and I can hear my intake over it more, so its not that loud. I am going to buy a "turbo" style muffler to quiet it down more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.