Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Dash Kits - Are They Worth it?

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Intrahh 
#1 ·
So I am looking to get a dash kit (in a blue colour similar to my exterior paint) and I have found one site that has a lot.

My question is, has anyone tried to use a dash kit on a UD? And if so how was the quality, ease of installation, and price?

Here's the site I have found so far, input is appreciated.

http://www.carid.com/2013-hyundai-elantra-wood-grain-dash-kits/

#2 ·
Welcome to EXD.

I don't know if any other 2011+ owners have any dash kits, but my general feeling on dash kits is that they generally don't fit as well as you want, they are hard to clean, and they can fade.

Most people seem to like to paint individual pieces of the dash instead. Certainly that's more work though.

#3 ·
Oh I see, do you know if kits like these are actually new pieces that I install in place of the old ones? Or are they just a film that you 3M to the original pieces... And concerning painting the pieces, I am just nervous about how easily spray paint scratches.

#4 ·
Welcome to EXD! enjoy your stay....
most are kits that stick on the oe part, and as said the can fade and dont clean well. i have on in my sonata and due to the color it still looks okay then i had a wood grain in my other sonata and that faded and looked like crap. you could do vynal or paint seem to be the better way to go and give you tons of color options.

#6 ·
Mine didn't fade. But my Elantra is always garage kept.

I have a 2003 with the carbon fiber. I like it because the 03 dash is so plain. Looks really good with the carbon fiber.

You have to make sure it's very clean. Don't use an auto cleaner because that contains oil to nourish the plastics in the interior, which will cause it not to stick. Use rubbing alcohol to clean it. If you just recently cleaned the interior with auto cleaner, wait a few days for the oil to dry up.

Be very patient in installing. It's not hard, just tedious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.